'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generator hours between PM service...?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-10 9:54 AM
1 replies, 2827 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-07-10 9:32 AM (#107791)
Subject: Generator hours between PM service...?

Expert

How many hours are ya'll running your generators between oil changes...? I changed oil in my EF3000ISEb a week ago and I've got better than 100 hours on it allready with about 30 of those hours running at 80% in 90+ degree heat.

Wish these engines had an oil filter. Don't know if they have an oil pump, guess they're splash lubricated. As much as the cost they should come with lifetime oil changes!!.. I use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic and after about 10 hours the oil is the color of granny's black strap molassas!!! It's a PITA to change oil in the thing, easier to change oil in the big tractor than it is this generator. How many hours do some of you run between changes? Lately, during show season, I'm changing 2-3 times  month!!!!

Edited by retento 2009-07-10 9:34 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-10 9:54 AM (#107792 - in reply to #107791)
Subject: RE: Generator hours between PM service...?

Expert

I use Mobile 1 in all my vehicles and smaller gas engines. Those with an hour meter get a change at 100 hrs. Most of my other engines run about 50 hrs a year, so they are changed every two years. The Mobile 1 EP will give you almost double the life at little extra expense.

The fact that the oil is dirty, shows that it's doing its cleaning job, and your engine won't be sludged up in a few years. You might want to check your air filter and /or fuel air mixture adjustment, if the oil is being quickly discoloured.

Can you install a remote drain, using a hose and valve installed where the original drain plug was installed? It would certainly save time in the long run.

There are also oil drain kits used in marine engines, where the oil is sucked out through the dip stick tube, when a sump plug is not accessible. These are available at most auto and marine stores.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)