'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First time buyer and a VERY used trailer... need help!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-09 3:10 PM
5 replies, 3028 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jack'sMom
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-08 7:31 PM (#107712)
Subject: First time buyer and a VERY used trailer... need help!

New User

I found a 1970-something 2 horse bumper pull trailer that I would like to purchase, but there are a few things I'm concerned about. I am a first time buyer, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. First off, I know that new tires are needed, but the old ones are so old, they are sized all funky. What would be the equivilent of a 7.75-15 load range B? I've been browsing the internet trying to figure it out, and I keep seeing bias and radial thrown around, but I don't know what either means. Also, my mom suggested getting the bearings checked. I called a tire company and asked them for a quote, and they said $200, so it's a little steep. Is the check necessary? Can I tell without bringing the trailer in? Third (yeah... I have lots of concerns - haha), it's got a little rust on it. Not bad. Actually pretty darn good for such an old trailer. What would I need to do to get it fixed/under control. Cosmetically, I'm not all that concerned. I just want it to be safe and comfortable for my horse. My final issue is the floor. It looks like it's very solid aside from one board in the left stall towards the inside. Are there some checks I can do to make sure that the floor is sound? Thanks so much for any input. I'm so excited to finally be able to transport my horse!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-07-08 8:00 PM (#107713 - in reply to #107712)
Subject: RE: First time buyer and a VERY used trailer... need help!

Extreme Veteran

May be you should take it to a Mechanic friend and have him check it out Top to Bottom.   Brakes, Electrical, Floor, wheel bearings, etc, etc etc.   It might not be worth fixing up. 
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-07-08 9:02 PM (#107715 - in reply to #107712)

Regular

Good advice from "sinful".  If the trailer owner won't let you take it to a shop, perhaps you could take someone else with you to check it out.  Either a mechanically-inclined friend or an experienced horse person with trailering experience....or both.  You can quickly get yourself into more time, trouble and money than it is worth. 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-07-09 8:46 AM (#107724 - in reply to #107712)

Expert

To answer one question, when purchasing a used trailer of any age, having the bearings packed by hand (which will enable a physical visual inspection, and replacement of any needed parts) is a must in my opinion.........I would purchase assuming all the bearings need replacing, and figure that into my budgeting of the purchase.......and if they are fine and you just have to pay for repacking, you would be money ahead....

Floor, bearings, wiring, brakes, and strength/integrity of walls and doors, hinges, etc are major issues for horse safety... good luck and a friend with mechanical help to inspect would be super

Edited by flyinghfarm 2009-07-09 8:47 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-09 9:48 AM (#107729 - in reply to #107712)

Expert

The first thing I would check is the frame, flooring (top and bottom), the axles and the hitch. The frame should be checked for rust and integrity at every joint. The wood flooring can be checked with the point of a screwdriver; any soft areas is a reason for replacement. The axles should be straight, the wheels vertical, and the mounting areas secure.

As others have said, figure on all new bearings, brakes, the cost of new tires, as well as new lights and wiring to restore the trailer to a mechanically sound vehicle. You will want nothing less in which to entrust your prized possessions.

The parts alone can cost about $900. There are available, a multitude of trailers similar to the one you are considering. Some are rough and neglected, and not really apropos for the first timer owner. There are others that are used continuously and are mechanically sound. They may cost only a few hundred more, but in the long run, they will be less expensive and safer to get on the road. I would recommend you look additionally, before making any final decisions based solely on price.

Gard

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-09 3:10 PM (#107749 - in reply to #107712)

Extreme Veteran

the tires are probably a 215/75r-15.

The metric sizes that you had part of the numbers are all radials. Which isn't nessassary as long as all tires are the same, either radial or bias ply. In the bias I believe it's an G-15 but it's been so many yrs since I sold tires. Take a screw driver like someone else mentioned and stab the floor and make sure it isn't soft anywhere. Probably will also need wiring of somesort for thar age.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)