'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brown county and hoosier national forest

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-03 11:25 AM
8 replies, 5267 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-23 4:09 PM (#106944)
Subject: Brown county and hoosier national forest

Regular

We're planning a trip to either Brown County or Hoosier National Forest in September. Does anyone have an opinion on Midwest Trail Ride or Monk's Campground. We've read some reviews that say Midwest is nice but the trail to and from the forest is about 40 minutes. We've read both good and really bad about Monks campground, but the riding sounds better than Midwest. Not sure what to believe. The camp at Brown County State Park sounds like it would be nice if there were stalls.

Maybe there are other places that someone would recommend as well.

Thanks for your help.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-06-24 6:47 AM (#106958 - in reply to #106944)
Subject: RE: Brown county and hoosier national forest

Extreme Veteran

MidWest is a nice camp.  I love the fact that the stalls are right there at your site.  And, every time we have been, the stalls were clean and in good repair.  If you're going for an organized ride, the food is good and the bands they bring in have always been enjoyable.  There are plenty of showers and the water is usually hot, although I wish they would put some AC in the shower house. 

We have been several times and have gotten pretty bored with the trails.  They are not very challenging.  Also, the sites are all in full sun.

The last time we were there (April '08) the website said that they provided free firewood.  When we arrived, they wanted to charge us $15 for a wheelbarrow full.  Had we known that in advance, we would have brought our own!

Like most camps, MidWest has its good and bad points.  But overall, it's a good spot for a weekend.

Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-06-27 12:56 PM (#107150 - in reply to #106944)

Veteran

Brown County is nice, but you are correct, no stalls. The trails range from easy, wide trails, to narrow, steep, rough trails. There is a little bit of everything there. There are also places to ride to at Brown County such as the litle store out on 135 that sells tack and food, and you can ride to Story, which is a little community where there is a bed and breakfast, a restaurant, a tavern and a tack shop. Both of these places have hitching posts to tie up to. We really like Brown County and go there quite often.

Edited by Zipitude 2009-06-27 12:58 PM
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 1:20 PM (#107151 - in reply to #107150)

Veteran

We just rode up to Monks this past week.  Nice campground-- but alot of the sites are "permanent"- and I think they have very few if any stalls available for overnight camping.      The sites are in the sun , just  like Midwest.  The have a shower house-- but "pit" toilets.

But-- it's very clean.     I'd call them about the stalls.

Midwest-- yes -you do have to ride that same trail every day-- it usually doesn't take us quite 40 minutes-- we have gaited horses and usually move a little faster.

The shower/bathhouse is very clean-- with lots of hot water.  "Scheduled" rides have meals every day-- otherwise just sandwichs etc on weekends if  you don't want to cook.     Very nice store - with a little bit of everything.

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-27 5:10 PM (#107164 - in reply to #107151)

Regular

Thanks for your input......How do the trails at Monks compare with Midwest?  Are the trailheads into Hoosier close to the campground?   We are alittle put off by the same trail out and back at Midwest.   I spoke to Monk last week.  We are interested in reservations in September.  I asked about stalls and he said nothing about enough stalls not being available. 
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-29 8:14 AM (#107220 - in reply to #107164)

Veteran

We haven't ridden out of Monks yet.  According to the trail map he sent me-- it doesn't look like the trails go right out of the campground (Monks) - you go down the country road a bit and then the trails are on both sides of the road.

You can get a trail map from him-- or PM me and I'll send you a copy of mine with a copy of the brochure he sent me also.

yakkats
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-06-29 7:40 PM (#107300 - in reply to #106944)

New User

I've stayed at both Midwest Trail Ride and Monks on several occasions. In fact we are going there this week. We will spend 1/2 of the time at Midwest and 1/2 of the time at Monks.

We like Midwest because our horses are in nice stalls right by our camper. The campground is clean. A few lots have shade. The showerhouse is nice with plenty of showers. The restaurant is really pretty good - especially breakfast. Coffee and tea are always available. The tack store is one of the best around. Yes, you have to ride a way out to the Hoosier National Forest, but you have three different trails to choose from and really only have to ride on one portion of trail 90 each time. Don't miss 90C one of my favorites. Trail 2 and riding to the church are also musts - great places to take a break.
Also, at Midwest you can have them trailer you up to Blackwell and access the Deem Wilderness for more trails maintained by hand no machinery is allowed -a little more challenging than those in the Hoosier National. Midwest Trailride charges $5 for the round-trip.

Staying at Monks you can access trails 13-20 that are a little farther from Midwest. It is a very short ride to get to these trails and by going left out of the campground you can head up to Hickory Ridge campground and the rest of the trails in the Hoosier National. I've never had a problem getting stalls at Monks, but they are not by your trailer. The sites with the lower numbers by the fence are shaded in the afternoon. They have a clean bathhouse. Unfortunately, they only have pit type toilets. Mr. Monk is a little picky about his campground. You cannot bathe your horses with a hose-just sponge baths. He likes it quiet at night. The reason we like Monks is the easy access to the Hoosier National trails - trails that are a little harder to get to from Midwest.

The group I ride with enjoy both campgrounds. Hope this helps.
Enjoy the ride,
Deb
Myaj
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-03 11:18 AM (#107486 - in reply to #106944)

I just went to Midwest for the first time a couple weeks ago. Loved it.

The stalls were nice, thank goodness they have roofs because it was so incredibly HOT there, our mares were having a hard time.. went from 70 degree weather to 115. We rode in the cool woods during the morning hours and by the time we got back, their stalls were in full shade again. We don't have living quarters so we rented one of the little cedar cabins, it was MUCH nicer than we expected and thank goodness for the air conditioning!

The trail that you take to get to the Hoosier trails is really only 20 minutes or so, not a big deal. As someone else said, there are other trails to take, but we didn't get to see a lot of them. I did like that there were a couple other campgrounds on the other side of the forest you could trailer to, to ride the trails over there if you weren't up for a full day out and back. Before you head out, ask which trails have water crossings, where the horses can get a drink, etc. I know off the top of my head trail #4 had no water crossings and seemed hotter/muggier than the other trails we went on. Through the whole thing, NO BUGS!

The food was good, very salty, but extremely good. Tea, sweet tea, coffee, pink lemonade and grape koolaid available 24/7. The live band was very good, I expected country and it wasn't, so that was a nice surprise.

The week we were there they had some water issues, kept losing water pressure (at campsites and in showers) but it would always come back on within 5 minutes.

I will definately be going back someday, but only in the fall.. too hot down there for my tastes ;)

Myaj
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-03 11:25 AM (#107487 - in reply to #106944)

Oh something I forgot.. shoes or boots are a good idea. The trails don't seem rocky, but there is a lot of "grit" down to firm up the muddy spots (lots of muddy spots) and that wears the horse's feet away like a rasp. A few barefoot horses there ended up being shoed, others got worn too short. My mare let me know the first day she wasn't happy with the footing (and normally she's fine with anything), so I used boots the second day and she was much happier. My mom skipped boots for her mare, and ended up with her wearing her walls extremely short and was picking her way around the rough areas the last day (thank goodness she has a thick sole). My friend's mare's feet were just fine.And the other thing.. the store has GREAT prices and a huge selection of just about anything you could need and a whole lot of fun stuff.

Edited by Myaj 2009-07-03 11:27 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)