'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Small Gooseneck VS small bp with DR

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-10 5:16 AM
11 replies, 5970 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Killrail
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-05 2:31 PM (#107550)
Subject: Small Gooseneck VS small bp with DR

Veteran

I am still deciding on which trailer would best suit my needs.

I have narrowed it down to either...

a small gooseneck straight load with enough room up front for some storage and a bed in the neck.

OR a small bumper pull straight load with a dressing room with enough room in it to lay a bed down.

I definitely need the trailer to be straight load, as my boy that I'll be hauling is wide.

I have thought that if I got another bumper pull I could possibly put a camper shell on my truck and put a bed in it. But I prefer something that would be easier to pack up and go, without alot of time put into preparing to go.

As of now I only have a '96 1/2 ton Chevy SWB. I would like to in the future (maybe next year) get a mid-90's model 1 ton truck dually diesel (reg. cab).

I have been looking at trailers. But it seems to be hard to find a small straight load gooseneck trailer. Or is it just me? Did every manufacturer make these model trailers or does this model tend to not be popular, so they don't make them?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-05 3:43 PM (#107552 - in reply to #107550)
Subject: RE: Small Gooseneck VS small bp with DR

Expert

We had a 3h BP stock/combo with an 5' dressing area and an 18' box length. The trailer had a rounded nose, so the installation of an LQ interior and its available space, was quite limited in usefulness.

We purchased an 3H GN with a 4' weekender LQ. With all the necessary amenities, it is very comfortable for two people for a few days at a time. It too, has an 18' box length. The goose area not only has a bed, but cabinetry, shirt closets, a TV stand and additional storage along the bed.

Comparing the two trailers as far as utility is night and day. The usefulness of the GN far out weighs that of the BP. The GN has space you can actually live in, instead of just a private area to change clothes. If you are planning a truck up grade, a dressing room trailer purchased today, can be later equipped with an interior.

We did the truck camper and BP scene for many years. Now that we have LQ trailers, the hook ups and ease of getting on the road is much easier. Everything is in one place and ready to go. The trailer is much more stable when towing, than when towing while carrying a camper. We don't camp without the horses, so the sole usage of a camper is not an issue. We greatly enjoy the LQ trailers and would not go back to the truck campers.

The straight load GNs with a DR are available. Here's one:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=199195

Edited by gard 2009-07-05 4:02 PM
Killrail
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-05 4:33 PM (#107558 - in reply to #107550)

Veteran

That's why I was thinking that if I got a bp with a DR that I would want a flat nose. That way it would be easier to work with. But with a bp w/ DR there wouldn't be much space. I might be able to put a mattress down but wouldn't be able to go in and out (unless I took my shoes off everytime). I don't need alot of space. I would be mainly using it for just sleeping anyways. But alot of the bp w/ DR's have the tack area in the DR as well. I would like to have a little storage as well- mainly for clothes, camp gear and coolers.

But if I went with a small gooseneck then I would have that space in the neck for a bed and maybe some storage, like you said. And have the little extra storage below, inbetween the neck and the wall to the stalls.

I've been looking online at an Easly (never heard of that manufacturer before, don't know anything about them). It looks to have a 3' wall inbetween the neck and the wall to the stalls. Plus a separate tack compartment.

I definitely don't want or need a huge trailer to pull along. One of the places I go has creeks to forge and definitely don't need anything dragging or getting stuck.

My mother has a 3H slant with good sized LQ area (can't remember the size) but the rear bumper drags over the smallest of inclines - plus she hauls at least 2 horses with her all the time.

I don't plan on hauling more than my horse really but at most it would be 2. And don't want anything more than I need or can handle.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-07-05 10:13 PM (#107576 - in reply to #107550)

Expert

http://www.kingstontrailers.com/html/belvedere_ii.html
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-07-06 7:41 AM (#107590 - in reply to #107550)

Elite Veteran

I agree that GN's offer more options.  I have a 2H with a 5' short wall and it really has quite a few amenities:  propane fridge, cooktop & hot water heater, dinnette, sink, 4 large cabinets & 2 nose cabinets for storage, queen bed, AC, microwave, medicine cabinet, large mirror on the wall, pocket screen door, 2 inside fans (GN & kitchen area).  I use the dinette top to make sandwiches, prepare salads, entrees, etc besides eating meals, reading maps, etc

There is a cowboy shower in the first stall and I set up the portapotti in the horse area, so that becomes my bathroom when camping.  I usually only bring one horse, so I sweep and wash out the horse area and can also hang towels to dry back there.  On the outside I have an awning, tie-rite if I don't want to set up an electric paddock, and a bucket hanger on each side, which is great for hanging water or feed buckets.

I have camped for 11 days at a time and was very comfy.  I'm not sure of the overall length of the trailer, but I use it for day rides when not camping and find it easy to manuver.  I keep all the tack in the rear tack.

I had 2 BP's before this GN and while I could sleep in the DR of the 2nd one, I had to pull most everything out to make room for the cot or air mattress.  I camp 12-14 times a season (Oct-April) and love having all the space and conveniences my trailer provides.

There is always alot of preparation no matter what rig you have - food, clothing, hay, grain, etc  but I find

Killrail
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-06 9:43 AM (#107602 - in reply to #107550)

Veteran

I agree...there is always alot of preparing, planning and loading as it is. No matter what, even if it is for a night. But I am wanting to eliminate as much of that as possible. If I did the 2H BP w/o DR and had a camper shell on the truck. I would have to attach the camper shell and load everything including a mattress. I don't want to leave the camper shell on permanently. That would be more work than necessary.

And if I went with a 2H bp w/ DR. I would have to strap up the mattress to the wall and try to fit what I could in the DR with it. And still use the truck bed for stuff - my camping gear, water, hay, tubs, etc.

But I feel if I got a small 2H Gooseneck with small weekender package. Doesn't have to be much room since the mattress will be in the neck. Don't need table, fridge, sink, cabinets or chair room - most of that will be set outside anyways. And the truck bed would only have water and hay in it unless the trailer has a hay rack.

I do plan on (whatever trailer I end up with) to use the stall area's for showering, toilet and changing.

I am mainly wanting something that has enough room for a bed without it being in the way and enough room to put things inside while riding (like coolers or anything else that might be tempting to thieves).

And a big PLUS on the gooseneck and maybe even the BP w/ DR is that I can use that space for storing most of my camping things without unloading it (like grills, tarps, toilet, ice chests, chairs, etc.). That would be nice, no more finding room in the house for those things and having it scattered throughout the house as well.

openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-07-08 9:12 PM (#107716 - in reply to #107550)

we have strated building a new 12 AND 14 FT 2 HORSE GN and a BP with a collapsable rear tack but since we build custom trailers and no 2 trailers of ours are hardly ever the same we can build about anything you may need there is one listed on this site if you would like to check it out..need any more info you can visit us on our website. 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-07-09 8:51 AM (#107725 - in reply to #107550)

Expert

Concur with Gard, been there and think you would definitely be better with the GN.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-07-09 5:03 PM (#107760 - in reply to #107550)

Veteran

Big thumbs up for a gooseneck.  Easier to drive,  easier to back up,  easier to hook up.  As far as your mother's gooseneck dragging when going up an incline,  I have noticed that the newer goosenecks sit much higher off the ground which gives you more ground clearance.  When you go trailer shopping,  just remember to measure the trailer floor hight off the ground and make sure it is higher than your mothers :)  Unless there is someone out there that just can not part with their SUV,  I would always suggest a gooseneck whenever possible.

mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-07-09 5:45 PM (#107762 - in reply to #107550)

Regular

I have had both and will stay with a GN forever now. Plus you were worried about your horse being large then you would definitly want a GN slant as they have more room for him as well as will pull better because the weight would be distributed better which makes for a smoother ride for both of you. Over all our slant load stalls are wider than our bumper pull straight load. GO GN! you wont be sorry.
MSM
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-07-09 6:01 PM (#107763 - in reply to #107550)

Regular

My 1st trailer was a BP and I really enjoyed it until I sold it and purchased a GN. Now I'm on my fourth trailer GN. They pull and hoookup easier and you get so much moree space with the same box length.
buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-07-10 5:16 AM (#107770 - in reply to #107550)

Regular

Here is a great trailer that you can haul with your pick up

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=209002
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format