'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lost River in WV

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-24 6:49 AM
3 replies, 3573 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-06-23 1:19 AM (#106881)
Subject: Lost River in WV

Veteran

Has anyone been to Lost River Campground in WV?
Some friends are going end of season and I can't decide whether to go or not.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-06-23 8:32 AM (#106886 - in reply to #106881)
Subject: RE: Lost River in WV

Veteran

Shhh! Quiet that's one of those little advertised secret holes. You can't beat the price. Last year it was $25 full hookup! including 2 open corrals. Now the corrals are very basic, 10x10 but reasonably safe. Bring some shavings for them, they are nice and shaded by a little creek. Leroy is very pleasant and stops by but does not hover. He'll also clue you into some places not on the map and be sure to get directions to the tombstone and read the inscription. Riding is good, trails were well maintained, the horses need to be in shape you are riding in the mountains. Generally the footing is good ( better than riding out of Ft.Valley in the Shenandoah). Views from the Big Ridge are awesome and there is a spring at the top for water, watch out for the hack line there are a few narrow places depending on how you go up ( there is a back way a gated service road which is generally wide and graveled if you dont like the narrow trail). A few regular campers but it gets quiet at dark, no loud party.No cell phone service. Go and have a great time ! Rich
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-06-24 5:01 AM (#106956 - in reply to #106881)

Elite Veteran

Do they have a web site etc? Hey Rich you going to FV anytime soon? I'm headed there for labor day weekend and again Columbus day weekend. If you happen to go. Look me up...Be great to meet ya...
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-06-24 6:49 AM (#106959 - in reply to #106881)

Veteran

Here you go http://bigridgecampground.com/

Week after Labor Day we are at James River SP but Columbus day that will make for nice riding in the Shenandoah. Super Cooper may be up for some mountain riding ( at 22 I'm having a hard time keeping his rear end tuned up but I've tinkered with his hind shoeing and he wants to canter for the first time in many years)so Turkey Pen and Duncan Hollow are doable. Couple years ago we went over the West Ridge (Jawbone Gap, newer trail) and Moreland Gap, too tough on the old man. I'll see if we can work it in. Day tripping to Michaux and Little Bennett this weekend. Rich

Edited by Rich M. 2009-06-24 6:51 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)