'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thanks to posters for corrosion advise

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-09 11:04 AM
2 replies, 2789 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-06-09 10:44 AM (#106171)
Subject: Thanks to posters for corrosion advise

Regular

I would like to thank the posters of the "valuelite problem".  I bought my 2000 valuelite last year and was unaware of any rusting or corroding problems.

After inspecting my trailer, I too found that the frame was rusting and pealing.  The coating was just "hanging" onto the frame with rust underneath.  I also looked at the SD installed coating over the aluminum floor.  After closely inspecting, I found it to be loose over some of the bolt heads.  I grabbed the liner and pulled the the entire "bed liner" material off the aluminum floor in less than 5 minutes.  It was not bonded at all!  There were also serveral very corroded spots, where the horses stand, that had trapped the urine under the bedliner.

Luckily for me, the rust and corrosion were not extensive.  I rented a gas powered large PSI power washer.  Jacked my trailer up and crawled underneath it on a creaper and water blasted 90% of the existing coating off the frame (the other 10% is stuck tight).  On the aluminum floor I acid etched it, power washed it out.  It was pitted in several areas, but only had one small hole all the way through.

I then coated the frame and aluminum with a thin mil moisture cured urethane, made specifically to coat corroded and rusty metals after washing (didn't care to sand or wire brush it all).  I've used this product before over rusty pipes, metal containers, and LP Tanks.  Holds up real well over minimal prepped rusty metal.  I get it from a friend in the coating business (so don't ask what it's called).  I sprayed it the best I could in all nooks and crannies.  Pulled off the tires, so I could get behind the wheels.  Hopefully it will make the trailer last me for a while longer, and at least I will slow the rusting process.

Anyway, at first I was like "not my trailer".  But after all the posts I finally did a thorough inspection myself.  It looked fully coated by squatting down and looking underneath.  It was not until I took a screw driver and tap around a little that I found it was just waiting to fall off.  So if not for the loyal posters on this site, my trailer would be rusting away.  Thank you.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-09 10:55 AM (#106173 - in reply to #106171)
Subject: RE: Thanks to posters for corrosion advise

Expert

Sounds as if you have done an admirable job of inspection and maintenance. Your efforts will be rewarded with less repairs and upkeep down the road. Way to go....
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-06-09 11:04 AM (#106174 - in reply to #106171)
Subject: RE: Thanks to posters for corrosion advise

Regular

Gard...Thanks for your indirect help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'