'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pulling our horse trailer with Class C Camper

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-18 4:55 PM
4 replies, 10029 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DocBar
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-17 9:03 PM (#106592)
Subject: Pulling our horse trailer with Class C Camper

Howdy Folks,
Getting ready to pull our 2 horse featherlight trailer with our camper (24' Class C Ford E350 chassis) Any one camp / travel with that combo?
Wondering if any one has any experiences to share towing a horse trailer with a motorhome.
Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-06-17 9:11 PM (#106594 - in reply to #106592)
Subject: RE: Pulling our horse trailer with Class C Camper

Elite Veteran

I use a 1993 Damon Challenger Class A to haul my 2 horse Sundowner. Make sure you beef up the rear end of your RV. Get a wgt distribution/anti-sway bars for your trailer. Check the RV brakes, radiator, tires, etc to make sure it road safe. You may want to add air bags to the front and rear of the RV to help keep it leveled when going down the road.

Hum...I'll think of more things. HA!
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-06-17 9:25 PM (#106596 - in reply to #106592)

Extreme Veteran

I did a lot of barrel racing pulling a two horse trailer behind a fifteen passenger ford van F-350.  No problems.  I didn't have a real rv, I just built a bunk, a dry bathroom, a countertop with a gas camp stove, and plastic bins for storage.  Worked very well for me for several years.

Marla

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-18 7:38 AM (#106613 - in reply to #106592)

Veteran

Really, truly, I looked into this combo before getting my current trailer.  Be CERTAIN of the weights and capacities.  Those RV hitches are NOT NOT NOT always equipped to handle a horse trailer. They can tow your little runabout car behind, but that weighs FAR LESS than a horse trailer. Load distributing hitches help, a light trailer helps, but roll it across a scale so you know for sure how much weight you've got. Know your tongue weight when loaded.   Ask this question on an RV board. They have lots of information.  Figure in how many horses, saddles, hay, water, tack, etc. you will be putting in the trailer.  I've seen people hauling horses with their RV without problems, but they very likely may be exceeding their weight capacity on their hitch. Ignorance can be bliss until disaster strikes.  You can have it beefed up by a welding shop, but you can't be certain of its capacities, as you can be with a factory installed hitch.

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, I just want to make sure you play it safe.  I was going to get a brenderup trailer just so I could haul my fat horses behind an RV, then I came across my GN with LQ and fell in love. I went to the RV dealer, and asked them to show me an RV with a hitch that could do the job....he took me to a dutch star diesel pusher built on a freightliner chassis..  But it was the only RV that had a frame and hitch that was approved for hauling as much weight as I needed to pull.  Needless to say, the diesel bus stayed on the show room floor.

Amanda

DocBar
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-18 4:55 PM (#106637 - in reply to #106592)

Thanks for all the replies. Just put in rear air bags and going out to the welder to have the frame extension reinforced. It is a factory installed hitch, and the trailer is aluminium. The other thing I noticed is that the corner of the trailer and back corner of the RV get really close going around corners. Any suggestions on how to deal with that.
Thanks to all..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)