'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
do it yourself living quarters-warping?!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-04 9:29 AM
18 replies, 56790 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kjstewart
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-04 8:01 PM (#76066)
Subject: do it yourself living quarters-warping?!

I have an empty dressing room with a 7' short wall that I'm planning on converting to living quarters. Any ideas on wall and floor coverings? Almost all the homemade conversions that I've seen have had Pergo floors and paneled walls, but I'm afraid the 1/8" Luan stuff will warp(CT weather is pretty humid!), and the tongue/groove wainscoting will be too heavy. I've heard that Pergo will buckle if it gets wet-anyone have any experience with it in horse trailers? I've seen the flat, plastic-y stuff that they use on camper walls, but can't find it anywhere to purchase. I have the white plastic popcorn sheets on the ceiling now, but don't really like it. Any input that anyone has would really be appreciated-getting ready to start this feels like jumping off a cliff!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-04 10:20 PM (#76083 - in reply to #76066)
Subject: RE: do it yourself living quarters-warping?!

Veteran

There are about a million posts re this subject on this site...do some searching...but as far as using paneling, there are many examples of folks doing their own conversions and using paneling.  I did our Sooner myself and have had no problems with my paneling warping.  Thats here in southern Ohio where the humidity is about as bad as it gets.  The important thing is to make sure you have good support closely spaced behing the paneling.  For example on my Sooner, the walls are framed with aluminum supports floor to ceiling on 12" spacing, so I installed a wood strip on each of these supports and nailed/glued my paneling to these.  My paneling is installed up/down so the panel has a full length support floor to ceiling every 12".  If you were to only have support every 24 inches or even 16", you would likely see some warping.  If you have a leak or get water on any wood paneling or floor, all bets off.  The wood is going to expand and there is going to be damage/warping.  Some people install their wood strips horizontally and install the panels on edge, you will have a horizontal seam to trim over..just depends on how your trailer is framed.  On my ceiling I used a fiberglass/plastic textured panel sold at Lowes..its white and easily wiped down.but a little pricey.  .the walls are a good grade of paneling..looks a little heavier than 1/8". 

As far as floors, how about this option, put down a 1/2" piece of the blue rigid foam board (not the soft white styrofoam), cover with a piece of 3/8" osb or plywood, or a .060 thick galvanized metal or aluminum sheet, then glue a good grade of vinyl floor to it.  Or indoor outdoor carpet or even a regular grade of carpet...I dont recomend carpet in a trailer, but thats an option..just some ideas. 

Edited by martyg 2008-02-04 10:27 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 11:52 PM (#76095 - in reply to #76083)

Expert

Originally written by martyg on 2008-02-04 11:20 PM

As far as floors, how about this option, put down a 1/2" piece of the blue rigid foam board (not the soft white styrofoam), cover with a piece of 3/8" osb or plywood, or a .060 thick galvanized metal or aluminum sheet, then glue a good grade of vinyl floor to it.  Or indoor outdoor carpet or even a regular grade of carpet

If you were to install some sleepers before you fitted the insulation, you could  run wiring and plumbing under the floor. It would prevent the insulation from eventually being crushed in the heavier traffic areas. The sleepers provide an area in which more insulation can be added, and a ridgid surface onto which you can securley fasten the flooring materials.

This installation doesn't require a lot of time or money, and provides a permanent floor. This is the type of construction used by LQ companies.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-02-04 11:58 PM
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-02-05 4:47 AM (#76105 - in reply to #76066)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Martyg.  put your insulation in, then put wood strips every 12" or closer then nail/glue the paneling on to that it won't warp.    I don't have any experieice with laminate floors in a trailer but used to have one in my house.  the dishwasher flooded (long story) and the entire floor had to be replaced.  it was warping in some areas even before the dishwasher incident.  What I like to do is use throw rugs in the trailer over the indoor/outdoor carpeting.  they shake out easy and are cute.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-05 10:55 AM (#76123 - in reply to #76066)

Elite Veteran

Pergo and Pergo-type floors I believe are particle-board type backed, and if it gets soaked, is going to expand.  While Pergo and wood floors in LQ trailers are very pretty, for funtionality, I prefer just rolled out vinyl flooring.   Easy to clean, no damage if it gets wet, etc.   Its not as fancy as Pergo or wood, but it does the job.  

I agree that carpeting is probably not the way to go.  I have indoor/outdoor carpeting in my midtack and it takes longer to clean that floor than all the vinyl in the rest of the LQ part of the trailer.   I use throw rugs right inside the door and in the bathroom, and wear slippers in the trailer so my feet stay warm. 

kjstewart
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 8:19 PM (#76260 - in reply to #76095)

Gard I really like your idea of putting in the sleepers, especially because I will have to run the plumbing (and electrical?) under my floor - no room underneath the trailer at all. I didn't stop to think about the insulation getting crushed. Now...what exactly are sleepers and could you explain how I would install them? Thanks everyone for all your helpful ideas - you guys are great!
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-06 8:45 PM (#76265 - in reply to #76260)

Veteran

Thats nothing more than some 2x4 or 2x2 boards laid either crossways or endways on your floor. You can notch out the boards to run wiring or plumbing, cut insulation to fit everywhere else and then fasten plywood or osb board to them and then install your floor finish. The method I used with 1" rigid foam and a sheet of osb overlaid works well if you dont want to loose any headroom in your trailer, plus I did not run my plumbing or wiring in the floor, kept the wiring in the walls and ran my plumbing in a small box/tray I made out of trim boards at the bottom of a wall so I could access the piping in case of a leak. The rigid foam board wont crush because the osb board is rigid enough to keep it from smashing. Worked well for me..but both methods work well..just depends on what you want to do. Just ensure you install enough "sleepers" so your floor is rigid...I would suggest every 12" if you are using 1/2 osb or plywood. If you use 2x2 or 2x4 lumber you can cut rigid foam board to fit between them and your plumbing and wiring. You may also want to use treated lumber for your sleepers in case of some water leaks...the wood under your floor is hard to get dry. Good luck.
kjstewart
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 9:55 PM (#76268 - in reply to #76265)

VERY cool idea to box in the lines along the edge of the floor. My plumbing is all in one place - the shower and sink are next to each other and drain into a small tank under the shower floor, and my propane line for the hot water heater will be under the sofa, but the fridge is next to the door and I will have to get a propane line past that and over to the gooseneck. What do you think about glueing the Pergo directly to the osb?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 10:01 PM (#76270 - in reply to #76260)

Expert

Originally written by kjstewart on 2008-02-06 9:19 PM

Gard what exactly are sleepers and could you explain how I would install them?

Sleepers are floor joists glued to the original trailer floor. Purchase 2x4's and rip them into 1" heights. Using polyurethane construction adhesive, apply them around the circumference of the floor area, and about 1 ft apart over the width of your floor. When you glue the sleepers to the floor, make sure the metal is clean. Use a solvent to clean where the sleepers will lay, using a rough scotch brite to slightly abrade the surface. This will ensure the adhesive will have a good bond.

Check the height of your door sill, it will probably be about 2" or so. You don't want the total height of the flooring to exceed this measurement, The total height will be the sleeper, plus the plywood subfloor (<1/2") plus the flooring material itself.

When you install your plumbing and electrical, you can notch the sleepers, and lay the pipes and wires just under the plywood. Or you can drill holes in them during their installation and feed the plumbing through the sleepers. It is best to have some insulation between the trailer floor and the pipes, to minimize freezing problems.

Installing the plywood subflooring will involve some considerations. You do not want to use any mechanical fasteners in the sleepers, where ever the plumbing and wiring is located. You don't want to accidentally penetrate the pipes or wiring with a screw.

I would recommend that you photograph your finished installation before you install the subflooring. Then you will have a record of where everything is located and can refer to it should you need to jog your memory. I would use short countersink deck, not drywall, screws to attach the sub floor to the sleepers. You will not need many, just several around the perimeter and one or two in the middle.

I would also make a cut line in the flooring, at the edge of wherever any cabinetry is to be placed. This joint will allow the future flooring removal, without the necessity of removing the cabinets.

You can glue the subflooring to the sleepers, but if you do so, it will be permanent and any future maintenance access underneath, will mean the destruction of the floor.

BOL  gard

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-08 8:49 AM (#76384 - in reply to #76066)

Expert

Polyurethane construction adhesive can be purchased in standard cartridges that fit caulking guns. It is available at the big box stores.

Gard

daisygirl
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-05-04 9:27 PM (#104456 - in reply to #76384)

I see a lot of great comments on the floor which I may use, but what about the walls? I have vertical aluminum studs, but it's not clear to me how to apply the paneling to them (after I insulate). Do I need to run small furring strips withing the aluminum studs to screw the paneling too?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-04 10:04 PM (#104461 - in reply to #76066)

Expert

Any paneling installed on the walls should first have the back side sealed with a sealer or paint. This will help prevent the uneven absorption of moisture, and decrease the tendency of the panel to warp.

Here are some more ideas:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=11612&posts=4

Edited by gard 2009-05-04 10:12 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-05-05 3:00 PM (#104496 - in reply to #76066)

Extreme Veteran

I also prefer vinyl flooring, both for ease of installation and functionality.  Just a whole lot easier to care for and more durable.  I did not want my wiring to run under the floor where I could not get to it for repairs.  Instead, I run the wiring and most of the plumbing along the walls and cover with square paintable metal trim.  I learned this lesson while trying to repair wiring in my Dad's motorhome.  Tracking down the short was nearly impossible, and fixing it was a nightmare.  Same with plumbing leaks.  Plumbing work is NEVER fun, but having easy access to the lines makes the job at least doable.

Marla

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-05-05 3:35 PM (#104499 - in reply to #76066)

Expert

We have the Armstrong laminate flooring in our kitchen.  This winter our dishwasher leaked, and had been for quite some time.  The water was under the floor so we didn't notice.  We noticed when the floor started to warp.  We replaced the dishwasher and the floor has dried out. We need to snap a few of the pieces back together but you can't tell which ones were wet/warped and which ones weren't.   The type of floor we have is the snap together, not glue together.

Edited by Terri 2009-05-05 3:38 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-05-05 9:22 PM (#104514 - in reply to #76066)

Extreme Veteran

I've been thinking about ceiling ideas. I saw a trailer last weekend that had use a vinyl flooring on the ceiling that looked and felt like brick. It was very interesting in appearance. It was a bit too much for me, but it got me thinking about all of the vinyl choices that might be used for a ceiling. Also a friend suggested carpet tiles, lot of pattern choices there, but not real sure about that either. -B
daisygirl
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-05-09 3:06 PM (#104710 - in reply to #76066)

the redrench site was really helpful, but i'm still unclear how to finish the wall. In all the pics i have seen, the existing metal vertical studs have flat edges facing out (essentially a hollow rectangle that you can put screws into. The metal suds on my traler (2002 Exiss) is like looking at the open end of a "c" - there are little lips about 1/2" on each end (with about a 2-3" opening) but not a flat surface to connect to. So how to I attach the furring strips"

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-05-10 9:46 AM (#104717 - in reply to #76066)

Elite Veteran

We also have Armstrong laminate planks in our living room... Ours is snap-together and even has the coated edges to prevent absorption of fluids.  While it is beautiful, I can look across the floor in certain light and see a few rough spots where the edges didn't join exactly flush. Also, there is one piece that buckles slightly upward, but will lay flat when you step on it...

I do not have a LQ, or anything like one, but I, too would recommend a good vinyl flooring.  Seems like it would be much easier to keep clean and any spills would wipe right up.  plus, If you get sick of it, it is easily replaced.

daisygirl
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-05-23 9:04 AM (#105368 - in reply to #76066)
Subject: Installing walls in the LQ

I have a 2002 Exiss and I'm getting ready to install the walls. I've seen pitures where folk use ferring strips runnign horizontally and this make sense. But I'm not sure how to attach the feering stips to the aluminum frame. There are aluminum "studs" verticlaly abbout every 17", but on many of the studs the flat side facing theLQ are open - there's about about 3/4" of lip on each side with abour 2-3" of open gap into the sud. It's like lookign itno the open side of a retagualr "c" that's lying on it's side. So how so I attach the ferrign strips? Do I need to pop-rivet a strip of aluminum along the full length of the flat side first?
ChrisC
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-04 9:29 AM (#105952 - in reply to #76270)

New User

Hi, 

We arenew to using this forum but we have been searching for info on how to do our own livingquarters and its really hard to find info. We were hoping you could help us out. We are getting ready to put the floor in our trailer. We were told to put down 1/2 in foam board and a 1/4 in. plywood over that and then to put the floor down. All of our plumbing and electrical will be in the walls so we dont have to worry about that. We were wondering how to attach the plywood to keep it from moving without crushing the foam board underneath it. We are using a good quality of laminate flooring but were wondering if we need to do anything extra for a moisture barrier besides the foam board (We were going to use aluminum foil tape to seel the seems).

Thank you Chris/Lynn

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)