'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Spring Ties on Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-19 9:30 PM
3 replies, 2738 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Zoomproof
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-19 4:43 PM (#103616)
Subject: Spring Ties on Trailers

New User

I am trying to install a spring tie on my trailer but I am not sure just how strong my alumium beams are. Will they bend if the horse sits back? I have a nice CM three horse LQ and the only place to put the holders is in between the windows, I have drops on both sides or the rear corners, I will have to reduce the size of the backing plate if I place them at the rear of the tailer.. Any suggestions or is there anyone out there that has had good or bad results with the spring ties.
Thanks,
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-19 6:25 PM (#103620 - in reply to #103616)
Subject: RE: Spring Ties on Trailers

Expert

You definitely want to place them with the bolts passing through the studs or beams.  You should have windows that pass vertically between the windows. But you will know very quickly when you drill the bolt holes. If you don't hit a structural member behind the aluminum skin, It's not a good place to mount the Spring Tie.

I had a horse get tangled in a lead rope and sit back and snap the fiberglass rod. But it did no damage to the trailer. My friend had a horse sit back and his was only attached to through the outer and inner skin and it ripped right through both.

If you go through the structural studs or beams and use the backer plates on the inside you should be fine.

Zoomproof
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-19 8:56 PM (#103625 - in reply to #103616)

New User

Thanks, I do see the beams that are inbetween the windows. I was afraid that if I attatched to that beam if the horse sat back it might bend and then the window would be messed up. I can attatch into a beam at the rear of the trailer but I would have to trim down the backing plate. You think the beam between the drop windows is strong enough?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-19 9:30 PM (#103630 - in reply to #103616)

Expert

Has been so far on the several trailers I installed HiTies on.  And I camp a lot with the horses tied to the trailer all night.

A lot of the times that I camp, there is nothing else to tie a horse to.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-04-19 9:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)