'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question about adding tie rings onto trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-09 1:58 PM
3 replies, 5644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-09 6:25 AM (#102998)
Subject: Question about adding tie rings onto trailer

Good Morning. My friend wants us to attach U bolts to the back ends of our trailers so we can high-tie (picket) between trailers. Is this a good idea or not? (Sure hate to be drilling into my trailer.) If it is OK to do, where and how? Will it mess up and pull out? Seems like it would be a lot of pressure on the tie ring if there is a wreck and I am hauling a young horse. What have been your experiences with this? It is a fairly new aluminum trailer, painted white. Thanks, deb
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-09 8:51 AM (#103009 - in reply to #102998)
Subject: RE: Question about adding tie rings onto trailer

Expert

You will have to locate the structure under the trailer's skin. By drilling directly into and through the studs, you will insure a strong mounting. Do not just drill through the wall at an unsupported area. One strong pull by a horse can rip the ring trough the thin material. I would fasten the "U" bolt using the largest stainless fender washers available, along with self locking nuts on the inside of the trailer.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-09 9:32 AM (#103012 - in reply to #102998)

Expert

I have a friend who spent 6 figures on a custom Dream Coach trailer with Dual slides. They installed a HiTie on the side of the trailer. 1st time they attached a horse, it pulled the HiTie right off the trailer leaving a gapping hole.  What a shame.  I have had HiTies on many trailers and had one horse get tangled and literial snaped the 1" thick fiberglass rod that makes up the HiTie, But the bracket on the trailer held. So if you install correctly as described by Gard. The trailer can hold a LOT of pull. If installed on just the aluminum siding, It can pull through the skin and leave a mess.

Locate the internal metal studs that support the wall and roof of the trailer and make sure your bolts go through those metal supports. I'd also add a plate on the inside to help spread the pressure over larger area than just a bolt head. Something like a 2" x 6" plate with the two bolt holes drilled in it. Or at least use large washers.

Trailers can support this type of pressure. Look at the ladders, hayracks, normal tie rings, door hinges etc that are currently installed on  almost every trailer.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-09 1:58 PM (#103049 - in reply to #102998)

Expert

We have used these methods.....tied off to the hayrack for the highline, and also installed a solid D ring above the center of the 2 back doors.  These were on STEEL trailers.....am sure that with aluminum, it can be done, but proper base support is imperative!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)