'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hunting Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-18 1:54 AM
6 replies, 3443 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2009-03-17 8:32 AM (#101556)
Subject: Hunting Trailer

Elite Veteran

Who builds a hunting trailer?  Maybe raised a bit to clear rough ground.

The one I envision is a gooseneck, stock/combo type, with a swing gate in the middle so you can load two horses straight up (in front) and a John Deere Gator in the back.  (Pull out ramps would be nice, or something )

You could then leave the gator at home and haul four horses if you needed.

Tack room up front.

Options:

1.  Camo accents on exterior.
2.  Pull down wall racks for sleeping extra people inside.
3.  Gun rack - extended from wall a bit.  (for scoped rifles)
4.  A/C heater unit.
5.  Shower
6.  Flat Panel TV
7.  Bar
8.  Outside BBQ

Did I miss anything?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-03-17 10:22 AM (#101567 - in reply to #101556)
Subject: RE: Hunting Trailer

Elite Veteran

Last summer, a local dealer had a trailer as you are describing it, only no camo. Only the ATV was in the middle, with doors and ramps on both sides so you could drive through. Also served as a mid tack. They had taken it in on trade, and ended up doing a dealer trade to western South Dakota. SD dealer sold it in two days, to a hunting guide in Wyoming.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2009-03-17 2:41 PM (#101602 - in reply to #101567)

Elite Veteran

Seems like it would be popular, practical and useful for many things.  I wouldn't want a full size ramp just for a little UTV.  But pull out ramps would be a custom option?  Guess this could be built by anyone.

A multi-purpose trailer would have a broader interest for many . . particular in these economic times. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-03-17 3:53 PM (#101608 - in reply to #101556)

Hey Dave:  If you build it, they will come!  Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new rig!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-17 4:06 PM (#101610 - in reply to #101556)

Expert

Doesn't Sundowner make one, Hitchin Post trailer sales advertises it?  Called, the bunkhouse, I think....no camo, but I think AdvantageAP would look best!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-17 11:15 PM (#101650 - in reply to #101556)

Expert

As an avid hunter. I use my horse as you have described.

I don't worry about the cammo. As I've never tried to get my trailer all the way to the end of the trail. That's what the horses are for. Between camp noise, generators, smoky fires, Loud story telling about the days events. I'd never fool an elk into believing my trailer was not there by using some cammo paint.  My trailer happens to be bright red.

I don't have a UTV, But I have stuffed several ATVs in my trailer when they were more appropriate the hunt than taking the horses. It would be nice to have some recessed tie rings built into the trailer to tie down the ATVs and recess out of the way so not injure the horses. Pull out ramps would be nice.

Most full service trailer dealers can do a lift for higher clearance. 3"   lifts seem to be popular with the endurance and CTR crowds who often camp off the beaten path. Of course keeping the trailer to a shorter box length helps keep from dragging when the truck goes through a stream cross or wash out dip int he road. But this also precludes much of a LQ.

I don't care much about the A/C. The only time I used mine was when I cleaning the trailer out in my driveway before or after an outing at my home. But once in the mountains, I'm more interested in the furnace.

I have not seen a LQ with gun racks. That is a good thought.

The problem with some hunting season is they are late fall. and it gets dark early.  a TV with DVD would be nice to entertain your self with elk hunting Videos until it's time to go to sleep.

I had a trailer with an RVQ outside BBQ. I never really liked it. I think I would rather store an Camp Chef stove or dutch oven in the same storage space.

I did like having an awning on the trailer. It was my mud room under the awning. Place to take my wet boots off before tracking into my trailer. But I woke up a few mornings with a foot of snow on it. What ever awning you use, MUST be stout and able to tolerate an October or November storm. I also like using the horse compartment as a mud room and  using a pass through door to enter the LQ. It would be nice to have an inside latch to operate the doors from both inside and outside of the trailer.  Most escape doors have this, but if your trailer doesn't have an escape door, it probably won't have any way to open the rear doors from inside.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-18 1:54 AM (#101651 - in reply to #101556)

Veteran

What type of an awning would one need for this type of trailer? Whatever brand it is would need to be tough like Paint Horse said because it might get brushed by some trees on the way to camp, or even snow like his did.

Edited by AQHA 123 2009-03-18 1:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)