'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Any information about Open Range brand trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-16 9:17 PM
13 replies, 7577 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-26 2:22 PM (#100228)
Subject: Any information about Open Range brand trailers?

Hello all.  I'm beginning my search for a horse trailer and I have found what sounds like a really good deal on a new Open Range trailer, but I've never heard of them before now.  I have been told they are an off-shoot of Chaparrel trailers (by the lady selling).  Does anyone have any experience with Open Range trailers?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-02-27 6:26 AM (#100265 - in reply to #100228)
Subject: RE: Any information about Open Range brand trailers?

Check out the frame underneath. I looked at one last year and felt that the framing was too light weight for my horses. The look and construction seemed excellent but the materials seemed a bit too light weight. I ended up with a Circle D horse trailer for about a $1,000 more but much more stout. It still pulls great too.

Edited by dcrider 2009-02-27 6:29 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-27 8:09 AM (#100273 - in reply to #100228)

Expert

http://openrangetrailers.com/TRAILERS.aspx

No body ever answered after your last post...

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=11081

Edited by retento 2009-02-27 8:17 AM
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-02-27 8:12 AM (#100274 - in reply to #100228)

Veteran

Hey Kim,

sent you a PM

Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-27 12:16 PM (#100301 - in reply to #100265)

Thanks so much dcrider.  You are the first person I've found with ANY first-hand experience with them.  I was a little concerned that they might be cheaply made, considering the low price.  As they say, you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks again for your input!

dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-02-27 6:14 PM (#100324 - in reply to #100228)

Your welcome. I would keep looking and you will find a good used one. You should be able to get a good steel one with livestock sides and a dressing room for around 3,000 to 4,500. Try looking for a used CM two horse slant. I almost bought one from a guy on Craigslist for $4500 and decided to spend a little more for a new Circle D.
vetechvic
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 5:26 PM (#101311 - in reply to #100228)

New User

That "lady" did NOT say they were an off-shoot of Chaparell Trailers...she said that a couple of the guys had worked for Chaparell when they decided to branch off and start their own company called Open Range Trailers. This was long before Chaparell went out of business. Yes, they may look similar to a Charparell, but they are made VERY well with quality construction. They are 100% steel (except for the wood flooring, rubber tires, chrome, breakaway system, etc...) and are hand built from scratch. They put more layers of primer and paint on these trailers than most and as of now they are also putting on a finish clear coat to protect the finish even more. I've seen 7 of their new trailers so far and have not seen anything that would give me pause not to buy. Go ahead and buy a trailer weighing 800-1000lbs+ more...just check out your gas mileage when you do :-) (p.s. what's wrong with a trailer weighing a ton?)
Chiefsfan
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 6:28 PM (#101313 - in reply to #101311)

I'm sorry Vicki. First, I didn't misquote you intentionally...I thought that's what you meant. Second, I apologize if you were offended that I referred to you as a nameless lady rather than using your name...I didn't think it was appropriate to post your name in a public forum. Finally, I'm also sorry that you are apparently offended that I asked the forum if anyone had any knowledge/experience with this brand of trailer. This was not meant as some personal attack on you because you sell them...I just want to do my research before I spend that kind of money.Again, nothing in my previous posts (nor this one) was intended to offend...my apologies if they were perceived as such. I was simply researching.Kim
vetechvic
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 10:04 PM (#101326 - in reply to #101313)

New User

No offense was taken...seriously...the written word can be so dangerous because you oftentimes cannot tell the writer's intent. I just wanted to make sure the point was made that an Open Range trailer is a well-built-one-at-a-time-attention-to-detail trailer. So many are built slapped together in assembly line fashion with no real oversight in the quality control. I have seen them. Don't get me wrong...some of the companies that routinely sell their trailers for thousands and thousands more than Open Range I know make excellent quality trailers...but you know what? I certainly would not be able to afford one. Many people I know cannot afford them, either. I chose to represent trailers made by Open Range because I knew there was a strong niche for a well-built trailer that is more affordable than others out there of lesser quality. The guys at Open Range definitely have a huge stake in making sure they build a quality trailer in order to make their endeavor a success. Any success I have depends on the quality of their trailers at a price that someone might actually be able to afford.
Thanks for letting me clear that up...I wanted to get the story straight about where those guys were from and I know by their trailers where they want to be...Hopefully I'll be able to bask in their success as well! -V
(p.s. "that lady" was not offended in any way -please do not think that is the case---have a great weekend and I wish you luck in your search-I've sold the burgundy trailer as of tonight and will be hopefully ordering more soon!)
vetechvic
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 10:23 PM (#101329 - in reply to #101313)

New User

No offense was taken...seriously...the written word can be so dangerous because you oftentimes cannot tell the writer's intent. I just wanted to make sure the point was made that an Open Range trailer is a well-built-one-at-a-time-attention-to-detail trailer. So many are built slapped together in assembly line fashion with no real oversight in the quality control. I have seen them. Don't get me wrong...some of the companies that routinely sell their trailers for thousands and thousands more than Open Range I know make excellent quality trailers...but you know what? I certainly would not be able to afford one. Many people I know cannot afford them, either. I chose to represent trailers made by Open Range because I knew there was a strong niche for a well-built trailer that is more affordable than others out there of lesser quality. The guys at Open Range definitely have a huge stake in making sure they build a quality trailer in order to make their endeavor a success. Any success I have depends on the quality of their trailers at a price that someone might actually be able to afford.
Thanks for letting me clear that up...I wanted to get the story straight about where those guys were from and I know by their trailers where they want to be...Hopefully I'll be able to bask in their success as well! -V
(p.s. "that lady" was not offended in any way -please do not think that is the case -Have a great weekend and I wish you luck in your search-I've sold the burgundy trailer as of tonight and will be hopefully ordering more soon!)
vetechvic
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-13 10:24 PM (#101330 - in reply to #101313)

New User

(p.s. "that lady" was not offended in any way -please do not think that is the case -Have a great weekend and I wish you luck in your search-I've sold the burgundy trailer as of tonight and will be hopefully ordering more soon!)
openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-14 4:21 PM (#101371 - in reply to #100228)

i will be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about our trailers.  you can visit our website from the link from the manf. page, or call me directly anytime my number is on our web page. We started our buisness after chapparell went down. we build a great trailer that we believe in and that our family of customers and dealers belive in.  contact us anytime

jimmie s.

openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-14 4:25 PM (#101372 - in reply to #100228)

on our under frame we use 2x2 every 16 inches as our cross members and 3inch channel tongue on 16ft or less we use 2x3 crossmember and 4in chennel tongue on anything larger. but normaly i ask if the person has a preference on his or her trailer due to the fact that all our trailers are special ordered trailers from the dealer or individual we can make anything for any preference
rmb68
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-16 9:17 PM (#101525 - in reply to #100228)

New User

I own a 2007 Open Range 3 horse slant load bumper-pull trailer and I absolutely love it.  It hauls straight, and is very user friendly.  One person can operate everything on the inside.  It has a drivers side escape door, adjustable slots for the divider panels to set in in case of a big horse or a small horse. All the panels can be taken apart along with the saddle racks to make an open 16 ft trailer for hauling anything.  I haul it with a 1/2 ton and it is the best investment I've made.  The seams don't leak, the tack/dressing room is plenty big.  For the price it is the best.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)