'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help choosing the best aluminum trailer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-16 10:02 PM
12 replies, 6688 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jkhorseman
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-15 12:56 AM (#101391)
Subject: Help choosing the best aluminum trailer.

We are updating from a small trailer to a 3H aluminum trailer. We are open to both aluminum or wood floor, and are currently debating GN vs. BP. I would love to hear some input on the best aluminum trailers....I like STRONG trailers and weight should not be an issue for us. Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Silverado 2500HD extended cab 4X4 long-box with the 8.1 Vortec. I also would like to hear the BP vs. GN argument. We are also considering the GN option and doing weekend LQ's on our own vs. the BP with a small truck camper.

We would love to hear your input, especially on which brand of aluminum trailer to look at.

Thanks in advance for any info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dcrider
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-03-15 8:01 AM (#101394 - in reply to #101391)
Subject: RE: Help choosing the best aluminum trailer.

Factors:Can I store it?If I break down and my truck is disabled, can I find something else quick to pull the trailer (much tougher if it's a gooseneck hitch deal).Can I sell it? Bumper pulls in my experience are easier to sell, especially good aluminum ones.Do I want to sleep in it? Gooseneck is the clear winner here.Just some random thoughts.
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2009-03-15 8:34 AM (#101396 - in reply to #101391)

Veteran

jk,

GN vs. BP is a very personal preference.  GN tend to pull better and put weight in the bed of your truck.  Installing a GN hitch can be pricey so make sure you are keeping the truck for awhile.  Of course, as the previous poster noted, you have a much harder time finding someone to pull a GN for you if your truck is incompacitated. That, though, can actually be a good thing because it also means fewer people will ask to borrow your trailer.  Of course on the humerous side of it, my ex-wife insisted on keeping our old GN and I kept the truck.  That trailer has not moved in 2 years as she doesn't have a truck to pull it with.  I, on the other hand, was able to find a used GN without a problem. 

As to a specific brand, you just need to pound the pavement and look at a LOT of them!! Depending on what kind of horses you have stall width can be an issue is a SL.  I have a draft cross and found that finding a stall width to accomadate him was a problem.  The stall width can vary depending on the overall trailer width.  A 6'8" width trailer is not going to have as wide a stall as a 7' or 8' wide trailer.  DO NOT be confused by the stall widths advertised by the various manufactureres.  Most measure from head post to head post which can be decieving as a trailer advertised with a 42" stall width may only have 37" of "usable" stall width. 

Again, go out and pound the pavement. Climb in and out of each trailer, jump up and down in it, load your horse (if you can find a dealer willing to let you).  Look at all of your friends trailers and decide what you like and don't like about each.  RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.  Check out the trailers for sale here on HTW and see which carry higher resale values as that might tell you something. 

Anyway, just some thoughts for you.  I am getting ready to buy a new Merhow if tha says anything. 

Take care and good luck.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-15 8:53 AM (#101397 - in reply to #101391)

Expert

Find you a slightly used, all aluminum 3 horse gooseneck, with a 6-10 foot short wall dressing room. It will pull alot better than a bumper pull and you'll have enough room for all your tack and plenty room to strech out for sleeping, camping, etc. Your 2500 with the 8.1 will pull in just fine.

There's 1163, three horse, gooseneck trailers on HTW as we speak!! Shop around for a used trailer unless you got alot of extra money that's burning a hole in your pocket!!!

OP... I pull a Cherokee Super Chief 6 horse head to head with a 2001 3500, ext. cab, long bed, 4x4, Chevrolet dually, 8.1/Allison with 4.10 gears..... That's why I said you got plenty truck for a 3h, gn, 10' sw...

Edited by retento 2009-03-15 8:58 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-15 11:06 AM (#101403 - in reply to #101391)

Expert

At the end of this month and the beginning of April, is the Equine Affair at Columbus OH. They usually have many trailer dealers and many examples of different brands. I don't know where in PA you live, but from us it is a three hour drive.

When we shopped for out fist GN, we went to Quarter Horse Congress, usually sometime in OCT.

These shows are the easiest way of seeing a wide assortment of trailers. You can compare manufacturer to manufacturer, feature to feature, almost side by side. By the end of the day, we had entered  and inspected so many trailers, that I became unable to continue. We learned a great deal, and can still use that experience, when sizing up the value of any trailer we look at.

Too many people buy because of interior comforts and first impressions. It's only by inspecting the construction details and build quality, that you can determine which trailer is better built, longer lasting and better able to hold its value.

These venues are an ideal way, in which you can gain valuable experience in a relatively short period of time. Also at the shows, many people will bring their used equipment for sale. They will park in the public areas with a sign and phone #. You call, ask for specifics, and can usually meet in a few minutes.

One spot, many opportunities. It's a good value.

Gard 

Edited by gard 2009-03-15 11:20 AM
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-03-15 1:41 PM (#101409 - in reply to #101391)

Veteran

I've always been a fan of bumper pulls if you are doing 2 horses or less. The aluminum ones pull great and are so light you don't even know they are back there. Any time you go with the goose neck its much more heavy and longer. If you ever pull more than two animals or plan on sleeping in it then go with the goose. As far as which manufacture to go with, I would just put your eyes and hands on all the ones you like and pick the one that fits.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-03-16 6:35 AM (#101445 - in reply to #101391)

Veteran

Gard is right.  Quater Horse congress and Equine affair,  both in Columbus Ohio are the best venues for horse trailer shopping.  But it can be overwhelming.  Start a notebook and organize everthing you liked and disliked in a trailer.  And as Gard mentioned,  don't be impressesed with the gadgets.  The first think you should do when looking at a trailer is lay on the ground and look at the spacing and size of the floor beams.  Pick a couple manufactures that you like with good strong structural support and then narrow it down by ameneties that are important to you and price.  Because there are so many manufactures it can be overwhelming but a lot of fun too!  I shopped for about 2 years before I bought my 3 horse with a 6ft LQ.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-16 6:59 AM (#101446 - in reply to #101445)

Expert

Originally written by Ncatanz on 2009-03-16 7:35 AM

Gard is right.  Quater Horse congress and Equine affair,  both in Columbus Ohio are the best venues for horse trailer shopping.  But it can be overwhelming.  Start a notebook and organize everthing you liked and disliked in a trailer.  And as Gard mentioned,  don't be impressesed with the gadgets.  The first think you should do when looking at a trailer is lay on the ground and look at the spacing and size of the floor beams.  Pick a couple manufactures that you like with good strong structural support and then narrow it down by ameneties that are important to you and price.  Because there are so many manufactures it can be overwhelming but a lot of fun too!  I shopped for about 2 years before I bought my 3 horse with a 6ft LQ.

Take your camera with you and take alot of pictures of what you really like..... There's no way you'll remember it all at the end of the day.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-03-16 10:26 AM (#101464 - in reply to #101391)

Expert

the best trailer is the one that suits your need and your budget. I prefer a GN simply because they are stable when pulling in just about any situation. If you add a DR you can always make it your own LQ with a few additions. I have tried the camper/BP and personally, I didn't care for it but it was what we had at the time so we made do.Shop around but you'll find that most trailers are well built for your needs. The difference will be what you can afford in terms to creature comforts ( both human and animal)Figure what you want and what you need. Satisfy most of the needs,some of the wants and stick to what you can pay- you can't go wrong.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-03-16 7:54 PM (#101506 - in reply to #101391)

Expert

Farmbabe is tellin' it straight.  Pretty good for a yankee!  hee hee

Seriously, read that post about 4 times, she is right on the whole principle.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-16 7:57 PM (#101507 - in reply to #101391)

Elite Veteran

I agree, well said Farmbabe.......I only had to read it once.

Edited by Gone 2009-03-16 8:02 PM
jkhorseman
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-16 9:17 PM (#101523 - in reply to #101391)

Alright guys....thanks for the input. I am thinking 3 horse GN with at least a 4' SW in the DR so we can make our own weekender in it. (Look...I even have the trailer lingo down now!)

I will start another thread inquiring about specific manufacturers. Thanks again.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-03-16 10:02 PM (#101534 - in reply to #101391)

I have a nice 3 horse Merhow advertised on here.  You will find that the home made lq's do not ad much to the resale value of a trailer (unless you all are very skilled carpenters) and there are a lot of nice used trailers for sale at very reasonable prices.  I totally agree with Farmbabe too. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)