'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
replacing wood subfloor / linoleum in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-16 8:44 AM
2 replies, 3395 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chipgirl
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-15 8:09 PM (#99519)
Subject: replacing wood subfloor / linoleum in LQ

New User

I bought a 1998 Silverado 3 horse GN w/a small LQ ( cooktop, referigerator, sink,couch, removeable table,cabinets shower, toilet,  queen bed above, forced air heater and A/C)

It seems as though the caulking is old and I have developed some leaks and the sub/floor has dry rot and the wall boards have warped a bit.

Is this an easy fix? Any pointers?  A webite for DIYers? Should I just take it in somewhere and have them do it ? Would an RV repair place be able to do it if I can't ?  I am pretty handy with tools if I have some direction.

Thank you for any advice

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-16 5:21 AM (#99533 - in reply to #99519)
Subject: RE: replacing wood subfloor / linoleum in LQ

Expert

Welcome to the forum, I can tell you that replacing the floor and walls will be a big job, but if you are handy as you say it might be time that you would enjoy. If you do take on a job of this size just make sure you replace everything that needs it, as this is not going to be something you are going to want to do more than once. Most LQ's are built using very lightwieght materials(to save weight) they use alot of luan covered to look like wood, I subsitute an oak veneer plywood for these. You can do it as basic as needed or as elaborate as you desire. Just plan for it to take twice as long as you intially think it will and you will be fine.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-16 8:44 AM (#99544 - in reply to #99519)
Subject: RE: replacing wood subfloor / linoleum in LQ

Expert

If you have a lot of money, have a conversion company build you a new interior. If you have some time and determination, you can do the repairs yourself for a fraction of the cost. The first step is to remove all the items, you need to access the parts you wish to change. If you are going to replace the damaged paneling and flooring and not change the floor plan, your job will be easier.

I would start the process with many photos and notes of the present interior. As you remove the individual parts, be careful not to just rip things apart. Remove each piece and label it with masking tape. You can use the old damaged parts as templates for your new pieces, one for one. This will save you a great deal of time and headaches, while fabricating your new replacement parts. More photos taken during the disassembly, will save you time when you start the reassembly. A photo of each removed part, placed into a binder, makes an excellent installation manual. This is common practise effected during automotive restorations, and would work as well here.

The trailer should be recaulked with a urethane adhesive/sealant and not household silicone. Make sure any trailer leaks are fixed before you start your  renovation. When everything is dry and secure, you can begin the repairs, starting with the flooring. Install pressure treated products to eliminate any future rotting. You will want to add some insulation, and if there are any wiring or plumbing chases, you will need to duplicate the original construction. Any built in hardware, plumbing or electrical that looks suspect, should be repaired before it is covered over. Use only quality products, stainless fasteners, treated wood on the floor, good adhesives etc. A little extra care spent during this stage, will enable you to enjoy your trailer for as long as you want.

That should get you started.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World