'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need some info

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-01 11:55 AM
4 replies, 2840 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

the rook
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-01 9:25 AM (#100394)
Subject: Need some info

New User

We have just purchased our first real horse trailer.  Our previous one was built by a former brother in law who built semi trailers for a living.  My question is the title we have for the new one states it is a true trail make.  This trailer is by no means new only new to us.  It is a 1997 model year.  Has anyone ever heard of this make?  I cannot find anything on the internet.  I am have a little bit of a compulsive disorder, because everything I buy has to have a owners manual or instruction guide.  This trailer does not and it is driving me nuts.  I want to find out how to do the maintence on the axles mainly.  If anyone can help please let me know.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-01 9:48 AM (#100398 - in reply to #100394)
Subject: RE: Need some info

Expert

How about "Tru Trailer", rather than True Trail. I know nothing about this make.... Never heard of that brand before. I seriously doubt there was ever an owners manual or service manual that was sent with each trailer....

Check your wood floors, check the frame for excessive rust and cracking. Check the wiring and lights, it's old enough for the wiring to start shedding it's insulation. Pull the wheels, inspect and test the electric brakes, wash repack and/or replace wheel bearings and seals as needed... AND, if the tires are 5 to 6 years old, replace them also. 

A "Tru Trailer" bumper pull and gooseneck model, pictured below.

Edited by retento 2009-03-01 9:50 AM
the rook
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-01 10:56 AM (#100401 - in reply to #100394)

New User

Thanks!  The gooseneck picture sure looks like ours just a little smaller.  Ours is a 3 horse slant with small lq.  Everything seems to be in good shape just worried about the axles.  The tires are wearing on the inside.  I don't know if that means the axles are bent or they just need some grease.  Mine has grease zerts on the axles so I am not sure how to grease or what grease to use.  Sorry for all the questions, I am a rook.  Is there someplace I can find out how to check the axle bearings.  Never done it before and not sure how to do it.  I don't know how old the tires are they don't look too bad other then wearing faster on the inside of tire than the outside. 
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-03-01 11:37 AM (#100404 - in reply to #100394)

Expert

I would take the trailer to a nearby dealer that has a reputable service dept. and have the axles, bearings and tires checked and serviced. If you have a shop that services your other vehicles, they may be more than glad to get your business. You got an RV dealer nearby? They should be able to make adjustments or recommend someone who can. You really need to find out why those tires are wearing on the inside.... That ain't right!!!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-03-01 11:55 AM (#100407 - in reply to #100401)

Expert

Originally written by the rook on 2009-03-01 11:56 AM

The tires are wearing on the inside.  I don't know if that means the axles are bent or they just need some grease.  Mine has grease zerts on the axles so I am not sure how to grease or what grease to use. I don't know how old the tires are they don't look too bad other then wearing faster on the inside of tire than the outside. 

If your tires are wearing on the inside, it won't be just from a lack of bearing lubrication. I would definitely have your trailer's axles checked for bent spindles, or possibly loose  bearings. The tire age can be checked by the markings on the side walls. There are several previous postings on this procedure in the search files. Six years is the recommended age limit for tires.

If you have a zerk fitting on the end of each axle, you may have one of two configurations. One is an "Eazy Lube" axle made by Dexter, the other is the addition of "Bearing Buddies". In each case and with your present unfamiliarity with the mechanics of each, it might be best to again have things inspected by a mechanic. He can check out your axles and brakes, clean inspect and repack your bearings , and determine your uneven tire wear. Knowing your lubrication system type, he can then instruct you how to best maintain your bearings.

If you were to just add grease now, without knowing what system you have and how to service it, you can damage your brake shoes and seals, and add additional, unnecessary costs.

Once everything is checked and working properly, you can use your trailer, while feeling secure that there will be little maintenance issues. You can learn then, while enjoying your ownership.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)