'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long term living in a horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-06 1:52 PM
10 replies, 14757 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tankgirloneranger
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-05 10:37 PM (#98897)
Subject: Long term living in a horse trailer

New User

I am looking for advice on living quarter horse trailer long term living. I am wondering what types of features should I be looking for to make my living quarters most comfortable. I will be living in them about 24 days a month, by myself. I will have constant access to water and electricity but have to drive to an RV dump. I will be hauling about 600 miles a month. I will be hauling 1 or 2 horses. I will be mostly in temps from 90-15 degrees. What features should I be looking for and what are considerations of extended horse trailer living VS a standard travel trailer?ThanK you!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-06 3:20 AM (#98899 - in reply to #98897)
Subject: RE: Long term living in a horse trailer

Expert

I would be looking for something like these I listed below. Third stall for hay/feed storage, etc,... Three horse, mid tack and plenty of room to stretch out in, wouldn't want something too cramped up..... Room to have friends over to visit!!!

Whatcha' going to use to pull this trailer? How much are you willing to spend? How long do you wish to live like this?

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=185765

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=189286

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=188693

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=187922

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=186037

Edited by retento 2009-02-06 8:29 AM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-06 7:50 AM (#98912 - in reply to #98897)

Elite Veteran

Hi tankgirl, I was interested in responding to your question since my wife and I spent a LOT of time worrying about what trailer to buy and why?  We had finally narrowed it down to couple of manufacturers and then started working on the "cost/benefit ratio" to make our final decision.  In the interum, we attended a Horse Expo here in the east coast and came home with a trailer.  At first I thought it was a lot more trailer than we needed and had a lot do-dads on it that I would not have spec'ed on a trailer that I ordered.  Turns out that all the do-dads were a good buy and a welcome addition to our trailer. 

When you are buying a LQ horse trailer, you are working with two different companies as a rule.  Most trailer manuf. don't build the trailer and do the conversions inside.  Some do, I'm aware of that and I'm sure that someone will chew my butt if I don't point that out. 

Anyway, if I was in your position and circumstances, knowing what I know now I would do the following:

1. Make a list of things you "know" you want in the trailer.

2. Pick at least 3 trailer manuf. that you like.

3. Talk to at least 5 trailer owners and ask them what they like and why and would they buy that trailer again?

Now, here's my personal opinion and remember, it's just my personal opinion.  I would buy a trailer from Bee Trailers and it would be steel/galvaneal.  Easy to repair and VERY durable. (I know I'm going to take a spanking for that)  It would be their Stinger version with 3 stalls and calapsable rear tack. The third stall would be a stallion stall with a partion all the way to the floor.  That stall would be my "mud/storage room" with a walk through into the living quarters.  Stand up shower, sit down flush toilet in the first room right off the stallion stall that serves as a mud room.  So many times, we have come in to camp from riding, stripped off our muddy clothes, walked into the bathroom and stepped right into the shower.  That is just way too cool! 

Depending on how much money you want to spend, I would NOT buy an on-board generator with the trailer.  Too expensive in too many ways.  Buy a good quality electric start if you don't think you can manaully start it the generator, set it in the back of your truck under the GN and live large.  It needs to be at least a 5K watt unit to run a micro wave and/or  A/C unit.  Some generators even have remote control now and that is really a nice feature.  If you are always going to have "shore power" where you go, then you don't need the generator

My wife and I looked at dozens of trailer companies and traveled a lot to see those companies and see what they were building.  The selection process we went though was extensive and we were more than happy with the final product, even though we didn't "spec" the unit from the factory and it was a "show special" at a Horse Expo.

Good luck with your search and your purchase,

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-02-06 9:35 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-02-06 8:57 AM (#98918 - in reply to #98897)

Elite Veteran

I think a 12' short wall, two or three horse, fully loaded with a remote start generator and a good capacity fresh water tank would be ideal... Ours is a lot larger, but I don't like to pull it too far by myself...just be sure there is adequate storage and comfortable living space...you probably don't spend that much time indoors anyway.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-02-06 10:08 AM (#98925 - in reply to #98897)

Regular

I spend quite a bit of time in my trailer including a month at the congress & over 2 weeks at the reining futurity. My first trailer had a mudroom but no slide and I sold that to buy one with a slide. My ideal trailer would have both options. Although I currently use the first stall on my trailer as a mudroom for extended stays like the Congress, but when I'm hauling horses that is usually full of hay/grain/scooter. Satellite dish is an important option for me as is an on-board generator. I prefer this to a portable because I don't want to bother with trying to drag the portable generator in & out of the rear tack or back of the truck. If you are going to be dealing with that heat, I would be sure to have the horse area lined & insulated. I would add a ramp just for the ease of loading/unloading stuff - not particularly horses. I have found day/night shades to be a necessity in every trailer I use - and they are not typically a standard option. Just a couple of ideas for you.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-06 10:38 AM (#98927 - in reply to #98897)

Expert

The trailer you purchase, will be greatly determined by your towing vehicle. Your limitations will be assessed by the amount of total weight your truck is designed to pull and carry.

The design of the trailer will determine how much weight will be on your truck. Two trailers of the same length can have different pin weights. The further forward the axles are placed, the less the tongue weight. The material of the trailer's construction, will determine it's weight. The more that the trailer weighs, the less your truck can carry.

If you will using this constantly and over many miles, you will need a heavy duty construction that will reliable. Forget any of the "lite" models sold by various manufacturers. You want a rugged frame system, optional axle loadings, premium tires, and heavy duty hardware. If your travels will be in the southern states, a steel/aluminum fabrication would be a consideration. In the northern areas, an all aluminum should be contemplated.

You will want a well insulated trailer, both in the LQ and stall areas. You will also want good ventilation, and drop downs on both sides should be considered. Storage will be at a premium, so mangers are a good choice, and a hay rack may also be considered.

You will need heat, air conditioning, the largest refrigerator available, a full bath, as many cabinets as possible, extra lighting inside and out, and a good radio, DVD, TV system. You should make your choice between a couch and a dinette, many have stated their preference for the couch. An awning would be on my short list. Optional water storage should be considered. Portable dump tanks can be used to increase your temporary storage of waste water.

Your interior physical space will be dictated by your trucks load limitations. If I had to choose between a short wide trailer and a longer narrower one, I would choose the latter. Cabinet storage, a mid tack, a larger bathroom are more appealing to me than a wider floor. I find the narrower trailer is easier to pull, uses less fuel and is easier to manage while towing.

There are many trailer brands that will satisfy your requirements. Again, you will have to reverse engineer your requirements, starting with your truck's load capacity, to determine the size of your trailer. Obviously you will want the largest one it will manage.

Gard

odd farm
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-02-06 11:45 AM (#98930 - in reply to #98897)

I truely spend a lot of time in my trailer. I ride endurance and we camp at least once a month for several days at a time, in remote places for the most part. I have a 3 horse 14ft living qtr 4-Star.

If I were going to live full time for awhile I would opt for a smaller trailer since I would have to haul and dump. But here is something to think about. You can call a septic company and they will come and clean your tank for a fee.

I have a dinette and sofa. If I had to choose, it would be the dinette. I have an onboard Onan. I have used the Honda 3000 but the onboard is safer(vented and requires gas detectors and you don't have to haul it in and out of trailer. The Honda is very heavy.) and easier. Whatever you get, make sure it is quiet. Your neighbors will appreciate it. I have a very large bathroom so I can store clothes in there, instead of climbing over the bed to get my clothes. I have 90 gallons of fresh water but if you can hook up that won't really be an issue. I have a stove w/oven. I use that way more than I ever used the microwave. (Pizza in the microwave is gross) Get the largest fridge/freezer combo you can.

You might also want to consider an "Add-a-Room" which attaches to your awning. There are several models but it gives you a little more living space so you don't feel so cramped.

I do have a 3 horse but I usually use the 3rd stall for storage. So think about a midtack if you don't want extra stalls. A hay pod is a must for me. However, if you can get good hay locally, not so much an issue. Mine holds 15 bales. I love it! It would be nice to have an outside light switch inside the trailer. That way if you hear horses running by your trailer and it is 40 degrees out and raining, you can flip on a light and see where YOUR horses are without going outside to the back of your trailer. Of course, if it IS your horses running around camp, you have to go out anyway :(

If you are going to live in your trailer, don't be cheap. Get what you want. You don't need a copper sink and wall light sconces. You also don't want to be screwing the cabinet doors on every other time you open them. Get a reputable trailer and interior company and you will be quite comfy.

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-06 12:24 PM (#98933 - in reply to #98897)

Extreme Veteran

I used to live in my trailer for 9 months of the year. I also traveled alone, so our circumstances are somewhat alike. I found that since I didn't need room to pass another person in the kitchen or on the way to the john, a slideout was just extra weight for me. I got so sick of using public laundry facilities that I had a single unit washer-dryer installed in the mid-tack, which I used as a mud room. I found that a two burner cooktop was perfect. Since most of my cooking is done outside, the two burners and a crockpot that was powered by solar cells worked very well. I also despise having to empty the black water tank. A composting toilet or a sawdust toilet solves that problem. With only one person using the facility it was a win-win for me. I didn't have to carry as much water, and could stay in remote locations far longer. I opted for a counter instead of the dinette, as again I didn't need to seat more than one person. I also eliminated the sofa and opted for my own custom-built wall hugger recliner. A bit more expensive, but I got exactly what suited me. I have solar panels mounted on the hay rack, which allows me to have power without using the generator on a regular basis. I love the quiet. I also needed a large freezer, since I did a lot of camp cooking and taught cowboy cooking. The seperate freezer was mounted in the first stall. I had floor to ceiling cabinets installed in the first stall to eliminate the need of all those overhead cabinets in my living space. That really opened up the space and kept it from being claustrophobic. The walk-through door allows access to storage without having to go outside. My trailer is an eight foot wide straight load, so I don't have mangers in my way and interior storage is enhanced. I also strung a cable overhead in the first stall to hang wet clothes on when I came in from a rain shower or if I just didn't want to use the dryer. Carpet in a horse trailer is a pain. I opted for linoleum, but hardwood would also be a good choice. I had the floor of the gooseneck lowered, which gave me a lot more headroom in the bed area. Since I pull with a flatbed truck and wasn't concerned with resale, this has worked out very well for me. I built storage boxes for steps and mounted a handrail to the wall. With the lowered floor in the nose, I only had two steps to negotiate when getting into and out of bed, a real plus for someone with bad knees!   I had the water tanks installed inside the trailer so that I didn't have to worry about dragging the tanks off on rough terrain or having them freeze.

I didn't really mean to write a novel here, but these are some of the things I learned through expensive trial and error. Good luck and enjoy!

Marla

Edited by Marla 2009-02-06 12:32 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-02-06 12:33 PM (#98934 - in reply to #98897)

Expert

Don't know about how long term you mean,but,I can sure tell ya that this past week,having one with a hot shower and a way to watch some TV has been VERY handy here in my part of Arkansas!

(Still no power,and,with 3000 poles down,not much relief in sight!)Power company tells us expect up to a month,perhaps.

Man,I knew that LQ was good for SOMETHING! Thanks,Exiss,Sierra conversions,and Jim's Motors in Cuba,MO!!!

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2009-02-06 12:35 PM
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2009-02-06 12:59 PM (#98935 - in reply to #98897)

Regular

I guess I should have mentioned that my trailer is a 3 horse Elite with a 15' shortwall & 6' slide out. I have the generator mounted in the hay rack. My interior has a sofa at a breakfast bar set up. Allows for extra seating if I have visitors.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-06 1:52 PM (#98939 - in reply to #98897)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=11013

CO2 Monitor.  And as one lady does, she replaces the batteries EVERY 6 MONTHS.

You can use the old batteries in something else - like a clock or radio or remote control. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)