'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
I think it's time we start looking out for us.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-05 4:55 PM
42 replies, 9932 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-12-01 5:24 PM (#95557 - in reply to #95552)
Subject: RE: I think it's time we start looking out for us.

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2008-12-01 5:46 PM

I believe quality in manufacturing is a problem across the board!  If you want high-end kitchen utensils, shop at a high-end kitchen store. 

I don't think US-made goods are of a higher quality across the board. 

I agree somewhat. I do shop at high-end stores when I can. However, I posted that I was concerned about the lack of choice in LOCAL STORES where I try to shop.  

I drive a Japanese car and tow my horse trailer with a US-made truck, but only because Nissan, Honda, or Toyota do not make a one ton.   I'd go out and buy a Japanese-built one ton in a heartbeat if they become available.

Why is that? Because they are cheaper? or because they have features and benefits that US-made trucks do not have? 

I had this conversation with my boss this morning. It's not just about buying US to save a job or being patriotic. It's about buying what vehicle has the features and benefits at the $$ I am willing to pay.  Again, it's about having a choice of well-made goods.

We have a global economy whether we like it or not.  The catalyst of change will be our quality and efficiency of manufacturing at home.   I'm sure this will cause me to be flamed, but costs would decrease and quality would increase if the manufacturing unions could be reined in.   I'm tired of the sense of entitlement the unions seem to have.  Unions are completely out of touch with patriotism and doing what is right for the country.  They are only looking out for themselves and look where it has gotten us as a country. 

No kidding. I agree. I'm NOT a pro-union person. I believe that increases should be based on responsibility and expertise. This "across the board" increase in pay and benefits - regardless of tenure - has always left me shaking my head in dismay.  However, there has been a shift in the automotive unions in the past few years (not soon enough) to have "step" pay and benefits (FINALLY) based on years of experience.

Case in point:  I live in the Seattle area, and one of the Boeing unions went on strike recently, holding out for wage, health insurance, and retirement benefit INCREASES.  A second union thought they would follow suit but came to a contract agreement prior to striking.   Really, is this the time to hold a manufacturing company, their clients, and all their subcontractors and suppliers hostage because of the bully power of your union?  I think not.

Again, I agree.  I am NOT pro-union, pro-US Made to the blind sight of anything else. I am only encouraging folks to take an active role in what their concerns are. I hear too much grumbling amongst ourselves and not enough people who are willing to take the time to find out WHO their government representatives are and where to write to them.

And... at this point in time, in the US. we've made our bed. If we let too much of it to fall, it will have a greater impact then we may be able to dig ourselves out of.   SO far as the "Big 3" "bailout".  First, it should only be for Ford and GM... since Chrysler is a privately owned company once Daimler bailed out. 

next, it's not about handing over 25 million dollars. It's about loans, with interest to be paid back. and YES, YES, YES, they MUST present a plan. 

Since you live in the PNW - If you can imagine what it would be like if the 10s of thousands of Boeing employees suddenly being out of work if the plants closed because neither US or other countries were buying aircraft because there was no credit. Houses foreclosed and simply abandoned!!; loss of property tax in the school districts and local government - yet the same amount of roads, etc. to maintain. Loss of consumers for local services and products. loss of corporate property tax and corporate support in the community.  Once houses are foreclosed or sold below loan value, then everyone else's homes become devalued. Then, if the people who hold houses that are "upside-down" in credit WANT to move, they cannot find a buyer since so many houses are for sale through foreclosure. If they sell, it's less than what the mortgage is for which means they have to come up with $20,000, $40,000, even $100,000 to pay the bank/ mortgage company to get out of the home. Now, these same people can find work elsewhere but have zero dollars for a down payment.

It's really a wicked cycle.

yup. it is.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-12-01 5:43 PM (#95559 - in reply to #95557)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gabz on 2008-12-01 3:24 PM

Originally written by headhunter on 2008-12-01 5:46 PM

I drive a Japanese car and tow my horse trailer with a US-made truck, but only because Nissan, Honda, or Toyota do not make a one ton.   I'd go out and buy a Japanese-built one ton in a heartbeat if they become available.

Why is that? Because they are cheaper? or because they have features and benefits that US-made trucks do not have? 

Reliability!  IMHO the Japanese build a better made automobile than the US.  Take a quick peek through Consumer Reports and look at the overall rating of anything Japanese vs anything American.

Edited by headhunter 2008-12-01 5:49 PM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-12-01 6:31 PM (#95562 - in reply to #95559)

Expert

Yup. for the most part I agree. I owned 3 VWs; 3 Datsuns (Nisson now); then a European-built Ford. When I moved to the Detroit area, I started buying Ford because I could get a huge discount through a relative. I can get steep discounts on any of the Big 3... but I stick with Ford. I do own a subcompact Chevy though.

So for me, they are cheap enough to dispose of every 2 or 3 years LOL... before the ashtray gets full!! ha ha ha... very old joke.  

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-12-01 6:47 PM (#95564 - in reply to #95421)

Expert

While I agree with the premise of free trade, (you need my stuff I need your stuff) I also agree that it will eventually settle to the lowest common denominator. For example if Koreas auto workers will work for $10 per hour so that a car can be sold for $12,000 then sooner or later all auto workers around the globe will have to be at those labor rates to compete. Sure you can sell a better product for more money, but you have to be "in the ballpark". So i think that we have sold out our higher paying jobs just to see a little relief when purchasing our "fruit of the looms". That wasn't so smart in my opinion.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-12-01 7:00 PM (#95565 - in reply to #95421)

Expert

* sigh* if you have been working for the government then of course you don't understand ecomonics............

anyway- buy whatever you want..thats the great thing about free trade- allow the market place to determine what should sell and what shouldn't......

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-12-02 7:40 AM (#95586 - in reply to #95421)

Veteran

I must have spelled it wrong.  It is Griddle Q and the website is: 
  • www.griddleq.com    Sorry for the mistake. 
  • share Top of the page Bottom of the page
    gabz
    Reg. Oct 2003
    Posted 2008-12-02 8:19 AM (#95589 - in reply to #95565)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-12-01 8:00 PM

* sigh* if you have been working for the government then of course you don't understand ecomonics............

I beg your pardon? Did you miss a smiley face or LOL?  I certainly hope that was an attempt at humor.

Did you ever promise to lay down your life for the good of your country? 

After I was honorably discharged with, among other things, a Commendation Medal, I worked for the DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. With Military People - those underpaid folks who frequently have to sign up for Food stamps and other aid.

Get Off it. Just because someone works for the government doesn't make them blind to a side of an argument. I'm voicing MY opinion, my freedom of speech. YOU are making this personal.

P.S.  I haven't held a "government" job for more than 20 years. 

Edited by gabz 2008-12-03 11:29 AM
    loveduffy
    Reg. Feb 2006
    Posted 2008-12-03 9:24 AM (#95656 - in reply to #95589)

Expert

free trade is part of this country's history, i do not agree with all these bale outs. if i or you make a bad investment then we have to work with it. should the tax payers pay for these?
    Frankie001%
    Reg. Feb 2005
    Posted 2008-12-03 11:35 AM (#95666 - in reply to #95421)

Veteran

I want a bail out too.  Don't need as much as the other companies need.  I am the president, share holder (60%), and part of the working crew.  How much can I get? 
    loveduffy
    Reg. Feb 2006
    Posted 2008-12-04 7:38 PM (#95748 - in reply to #95666)

Expert

because of the economy some horse haulers are not doing as much businesses as before, less people are going to Florida should they get a bail out ??
    PaulChristenson
    Reg. Jan 2007
    Posted 2008-12-04 11:21 PM (#95767 - in reply to #95666)

Expert

Originally written by Frankie001% on 2008-12-03 12:35 PM

I want a bail out too.  Don't need as much as the other companies need.  I am the president, share holder (60%), and part of the working crew.  How much can I get? 

Well if your going out of business affected as many people as will be affected by GM and/or Chrysler going into Chapter 11...then I would say you need a bailout...it is all a matter of scale...

HWBar
    Reg. Nov 2005
    Posted 2008-12-05 5:54 AM (#95772 - in reply to #95421)

Expert

I disagree with the bailouts completely, if the big three truely can get back above board then they should go through bankruptcy. Someone will buy them if they really have any value to them, just as Warren Buffet bought JP Morgan. The problem with the big 3 is they have been regulated by the unions(higher wages and benefits) and the government(cafe' standards and EPA regulations) into the mess they are in, I blame the leadership for allowing this to happen. The same leadership that now says they can bring them out of this hole with a little government help. I have heard as much as 70% of the people are against such bailout but the boneheads we elect seem to think they are much smarter than us lower forms of life. So with all of the above being said, I bought 725 shares of GM stock a few weeks back at $2.70 a share, so go ahead and bail them out, so I can cash in. I'm not a big stock trader by no means but I was sure that the bonehead politicians were going to bailout the big three so I thought I would cash in on it. As of last night I had already made about $1,000, but if they get a bailout I expect that to go up 20 times over the next year. If you can't beat them, join them.......................
    Gone
    Reg. May 2005
    Posted 2008-12-05 6:58 AM (#95774 - in reply to #95421)

Elite Veteran

Anyone who receives money from the bailout should have to pay it back.....with interest.
    Frankie001%
    Reg. Feb 2005
    Posted 2008-12-05 7:41 AM (#95781 - in reply to #95421)

Veteran

Here is my two cents.  All of the car companies knew they had to change for quite a while.  But they didn't.  So other countries vehicles did what Ford, GM, Chysler could have done.  I don't agree with the "Buy Out."  I did not agree with the banks "Buy Out" either.  My economic teacher has always said to my class "What goes up-Must come down."  What happens when it goes down depends on the company and how they are willing to change or adapt.  History repeating itself again.           
    gabz
    Reg. Oct 2003
    Posted 2008-12-05 8:51 AM (#95783 - in reply to #95421)

Expert

Technically it's not a buy out or a bail out. It's making money available in loans.

A different $25 billion in loans is through the Energy Department and was set aside so that the automakers could retool for more fuel efficient vehicles. However, if a company applies for those monies, they have to prove themselves credit-worthy - which is why GM is getting beat up so badly.

While I'm not strongly for or against advancing the money to automakers, I AM quite perturbed that the FDIC handed over more than $700 BILLION dollars to financial institutions without all the questions and finger-pointing that automakers and UAW president are facing.

I'm sorry I didn't catch every last detail, but as a for instance... Citigroup, after being bailed out, went ahead with a $400 or $500 million ad campaign which included either buying a sports/ball field or buying a sign for said sports/ball field. When questioned about it, Citigroup said that advertising was very important. What the fruitbat is THAT about? And, are the financial companies requiring their CEOs, presidents, CFOs, etc. to take $1 annual salaries? grrrrrr.

I know right after AIG and other financials were "bailed" (given guarenteed loans), there was a multitude of news items about rip off situations in the companies being bailed. So it's not just auto makers that are not looking ahead. 

I still say Chrysler needs to dealt with differently than Ford & GM since it's a privately held company and not publicly traded.

If the credit market would stabilize and confidence would come back, then people can buy cars (and houses and horse trailers) and the automakers and other manufacturing can begin to stabilize. Heck. People were spending their grocery money on gas this past summer and had nothing to spend on anything else. And then for horse people, add in hay & feed at 2x the amount 2 years ago... it's a huge complex issue. 

Ford was down 33% in sales and Toyota was down 31%. I didn't compare any others. But that shows you that it's not just US manufacturers that have lost sales and therefore, lost revenue to cover operating costs. I know that the trailer manufacturers and dealers are all feeling the same belt tightening. They are paying $$$ on warehouse, factories, property, employee taxes & wages, with nothing coming in.

But... as the OP started this... watching out for our behinds... if that's protectionism... well maybe the US needs just a tiny bit more of it by way of keeping manufacturing in the US instead of importing products manufactured elsewhere. And to do that, it means employees have to accept less pay in return for steady income.  Mortgage holders will have to tighten their belts and accept lower interest and longer payback periods so that people don't lose their homes. Slash salaries there too.

edited to correct where the money is from/for.

Edited by gabz 2008-12-05 9:01 AM
    loveduffy
    Reg. Feb 2006
    Posted 2008-12-05 11:51 AM (#95791 - in reply to #95783)

Expert

I just remember that this is the second time Chrysler  has been bailed out , is that right??  if this is the second time then they are not doing something  right as far as running a company right were is the money going ??
    KCW
    Reg. Nov 2003
    Posted 2008-12-05 2:26 PM (#95801 - in reply to #95791)

Veteran

Do you remember Lee Iacocca???
    http://to-error-is-human.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!505020A0E7148925!2211.entry

Quote: "A lot of Americans think if it's made in Japan, it's terrific, if it's made in America, it's lousy. It's time to peel off the Teflon kimono."

Quote: We at Chrysler borrow money the old fashion way. We pay it back.

— Lee Iacocca

Edited by KCW 2008-12-05 2:41 PM
    gabz
    Reg. Oct 2003
    Posted 2008-12-05 4:55 PM (#95815 - in reply to #95791)

Expert

Yes. Second time for Chrysler; however, Lee Iacocca DID make that company profitable...  he had to. He took little or no salary but DID take incentives... so he would only make any money if the company did.

I remember "back then" when Detroit was failing like it is now... and then it was because of imports, because those were the only cars worth buying.  The automakers DID learn, but then...  the $$$ took over, once again.

"back then (1979-1981 or so)... workers left Michigan for Texas. I was in Texas and headed TO Michigan.

Jump to page : 1 2
    Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
    Jump to forum :
    Search this forum
    Printer friendly version
    E-mail a link to this thread
    Message format

'
    Registered to: Horse Trailer World
    (Delete all cookies set by this site)