'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bed Length Equation

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-01 11:38 AM
4 replies, 3219 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-21 8:50 AM (#95173)
Subject: Bed Length Equation

Regular

I used to read this board daily. And, if I remember correctly, Reg posted an equation concerning bed length and gooseneck length to figure out if you would have trouble turning, etc., with your particular truck and trailer combination. I'm getting ready to buy a new truck and I'd really like to double check that I won't have any problems. I tried to search for this info, but didn't come up with anything. I'm thinking it's been well over a year since I saw this. Can anyone help? Does Reg still post?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-11-21 12:26 PM (#95178 - in reply to #95173)
Subject: RE: Bed Length Equation

Extreme Veteran

I haven't seen a post by Reg in a coon's age. Too bad, really.

I suppose a person could come up with an equation using some geometry and trigonometry, but it seems to me you'd be just as well to get out a tape and measure a few things.

Measure from the ball on the tow vehicle to the furthest point on the back of the vehicle, such as the corner of the bumper. Then, measure from the hitch on the trailer to the closest part on the front of the trailer box under the gooseneck. If the measurement on the trailer is less than the measurement on the pickup (or close to it), there's a problem.
riddenhardputawaywet
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-22 2:35 PM (#95227 - in reply to #95178)

Regular

I am pretty sure Reg is over at TractorByNet.com and posts there regularly...
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-11-30 5:51 PM (#95514 - in reply to #95173)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Bonnie - I'm pretty sure Reg was responding to my question about a girlfriend who was getting a new trailer and wanted to keep her longbed truck. She was also trying to decide between a 2-horse or 3-horse trailer. My shortbed truck/trailer combo barely squeaked into her driveway configuration, and we worried that with her longer truck bed she'd knock out the gate post. She sure didn't want to get the new trailer and find out she couldn't park it at her house! The way Reg explained it (and if I remember correctly) was that the distance between the gooseneck ball and the back wheels of the trailer are what determine your turn radius. My truck/trailer combo was shorter than her combo, so actually "cut" the corners more than hers. Does that make any sense at all? Hmmmm.....If I did a donut in my pasture and measured the inside circle where my tires went it would be a smaller radius than hers. If I measured the outside tire marks, they'd be smaller too. So, in her case it was easier to take her new, longer set-up into her tight driveway and not take out the gate post. Gawd, I miss Reg!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-12-01 11:38 AM (#95539 - in reply to #95173)

Expert

Another bed length issue that Reg addressed once was the difference in a extension on the turnover ball, or an extension on the hitch portion of the trailer. If you move the ball rearward in the bed, it will inturn move the trailer further away from the back of the cab when turned at a 90 degree turn. However if you buy an extension for the trailer you will not get the same results when in a 90 degree turn. I miss Reg's wisdom also, he always made you think, but the results were always he was right.

Edited by HWBar 2008-12-01 11:41 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)