'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse rushing out of straight load trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-23 8:24 PM
9 replies, 8204 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 9:40 AM (#94875)
Subject: horse rushing out of straight load trailer

Elite Veteran

I went camping for a couple of days and during the process of moving my camp from an isolated spot to one more habitated, my mare backed out of the trailer so fast that she over stretched and shredded her bungie-type trailer tie. Luckily it didn't break all the way thru and pop her in the face or she'd still be running. A Lady there said she never ties her horses heads. They self-load and she just fastens the latch.. I tried that coming home (my mare loads easily.. self-loaded this time) but when we arrived home, with no head tie, she sat on the butt strap and I had to slap her in the butt to get her to move up and then had someone hold her until I could undo the butt strap..  Although she usually doesn't give me much problem, this was the first time we'd been camping away just us.. no other horses in our "group". If i hadn't had help, it could have been a problem if she sat on that butt strap so hard it broke and she tumbled out....

How can I teach this mare to be more patient and mannerly in the trailer?...  We also had a little issue with her fretting on the trail while I had stopped her and was getting my glasses out of my waist pouch and trying to read the trail map... She wasn't real bad, but stepped around a bit wanting to get on down the trail..and I want her to stand STILL...  She is somewhat of an alpha mare.. Usually respectful, but occaisionally gets into my space ( ie: on my foot), especially if she's intent on something else going on. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-11-14 10:18 AM (#94877 - in reply to #94875)
Subject: RE: horse rushing out of straight load trailer

Elite Veteran

One idea to try and keep her from pushing back on the butt bar is to not let her out right away. When you get to your location, just let her stand in the trailer. Don't open the door. When you do open the door, if she starts backing, shut the door again right away and let her stand again. The other and best way is more ground work. Work on voice commands such as stand, forward, and back. I will not use bungee ties for just the situation you described. Stretch straps will not hold a horse except in their minds. When (not if) they break you will have a real problem. Good luck!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-11-15 1:03 AM (#94919 - in reply to #94875)

Extreme Veteran

First, I'd start with ground work... back, stop, walk forward, stop, etc.  I used to practice backing down the aisle at my barn, coming and going.  Also had him back into his stall on occasion.  He learned to back when I said back, which really helps during trailering.   Once they back when you say back, and whoa when you say whoa, then try it in the trailer.  Work on loading and unloading and using "Loadup",  "back" and "whoa" as cues for your horse.  Practice loading and having the horse stop every step or so - it is really valuable if they every start to back and are still tied.  If they blast out, load up again and keep trying until you get some cooperation.  The first time the horse unloads nicely, quit.  Try it on a daily basis if you can.  I did this with my horse.  At first he would load, then I could not get him to back out!  The first day I spent quite a bit of time; I just loaded and unloaded until he got it right, then he got praised and we quit for the day.  One thing to avoid, don't load then immediately unload.  I did that and then the horse thought that was what he was supposed to do:(  I could not get him to stay in the trailer and had to work to get him to understood I wanted him to load and unload when I gave him the word, not when he was ready. 

Oh, and as for not tying in the trailer, I had a straightload and on the advice of someone else, did not tie.  I did that only once.  When I went to unload him (he was still young) he actually turned around in that little space before I could get the back doors open.  It bent the divider and butt bars so I could not get the butt bar off and let him out.  I had to get in there and kick the living daylights out of that thing to be able to unload him.  He ended up with a bloody nose, a few scrapes and a very sore back from turning himself around like a pretzle.  It sure made for a lot of noise and that trailer was a rockin!  He is a good boy now, but we sure had some scary moments.  I think trailering is the scariest thing I do with my horse.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-15 3:14 PM (#94942 - in reply to #94875)

Elite Veteran

I agree.... I have not had any REAL consistent problems with her, but occaisionally, she'll do something stupid.. Like once, right after I first got her, she backed out UNDER the butt strap.. Once she was fussing and fretting (also right after I got her) and I hadn't put shavings down on the matts.. with the poop (she is also a nervous, wet pooper) she slipped and went down.. I guess it's lucky that with all of our mistakes she even loads at all.. 
That's been almost 7 years ago, and we've grown on each other since then! Now she is much more patient!  LOL!
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-11-16 8:13 AM (#94959 - in reply to #94875)

Veteran

I know this is just a bandaid fix, but if your trailer has a manger, throw some grain or a couple handfulls of hay in there while you're getting ready to unload. The horse is thinking about staying in the trailer and nibbling instead of thinking of rushing out of the trailer backwards. I trailer alone a lot, and Daisy would try to back out (while tied) and pull so hard that I couldn't undo the snap or do anything. Scary! Since then, I've done a lot of work on just leaving her stand in the trailer. Now, she waits patiently until I'm ready for her to back out. Another tip...if you are hauling one horse, using a 2 horse straight load trailer, and you can walk in the stall next to the horse, open the back door, leave the butt bar attached, walk up and clip the lead rope on your horse and if you have one of those face dividers made of metal, run the lead around that, putting some tension on the halter to encourage your horse to move foreward. (It's like a pulley, you're pulling back towards the end of the trailer, pulling your horse up to the front) Then, undo the trailer tie. You still have ahold of your horse with the lead rope, and some tension encouraging the horse to stay foreward. (You can let go if an explosion is going to happen) If you have a long enough rope, keep the gentle tension, and undo the butt bar. Don't let the horse back out even though the bar is down. Again I've used a little grain to help. Horses are creatures of habit. If you always drop the bar and let them run...that's what they'll do. Break it up a little, make them think. Do halfway in, half way out work. Ask them to back the back end out, stop, then go back in. I always wanted a slant load trailer, but my dream trailer came along and it was a st. load with ramp. I settled. But with a little work, a horse will load & unload from it just fine.
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-11-16 6:54 PM (#94976 - in reply to #94875)

Veteran

Do you get in the front of her when you are asking her to back out?The reason I ask this is becuase I have a mare that would run backwards out of the trailer every time if I "pushed her out" Everytime I would ask her to back she would fly out and Konk her head every time! I finally found that if I let her unload herself she was fine.
If you stand in the back of the trailer just off to the side so you don't get run over.Or in the other stall if it is empty then just tap the horse on the rear and say come on.Maybe she would just walk on out.That worked for my mare.After about ten times of konking her head.She then would not load at all.So it took awile to figure things out.I don't know why ,but after awhile all I had to do was drop the ramp and butt bar and she would walk on out on her own very calmly.I did of course un hook her and would throw the rope up over her neck for easy catching once she was off.
I now have a slant load which makes loading and unloading a breeze since you can turn the horse and walk them off.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-11-22 6:25 AM (#95215 - in reply to #94875)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know if this is true but heard about someone who had a mare who'd always run back out of the trailer.  So one day this guy backed the trailer up the end of a dock and when he opened the back door the mare flew out and into the water.  she became more respectful after that. 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-11-22 9:03 AM (#95220 - in reply to #94875)

Expert

The falling into the water deal would be a pretty bad idea, I think.  For client's animals like this we have, with no halter pressure, let them unload however, but then walk em back in and let em come out again, as many times as it takes til they will back out on foot at a time waiting patiently.  Care must be taken for them not to hit their head and for them to have good footing to exit upon.  Repitition and low key will go a long ways.  This can really take a while the first day, and will need to be repeated daily and then weekly etc. 
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-23 6:03 PM (#95270 - in reply to #94875)

Expert

My daughters gelding does this in any type of tralier.  When he rushes out we make him get back in as many times as it takes to get him to stop when we tell him.  He's learning.  We went riding today and he stood untied with the door open and didn't move until we told him to.  BIG improvement.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-11-23 8:24 PM (#95279 - in reply to #94976)

Extreme Veteran

I ended up buying a slant load so I would not have to deal with my horse unexpectedly backing out over the top of me.  He would not always do it but enough that I got a slant load.  It is safer for me now for sure, but I do make him still back out!!!  I rarely let him turn around and walk out forward, only because if I ever have to trailer in a straightload again, I don't want him thinking the only way to get out is to turn around.  My new 2 horse slantload with LQ has a rear tack, so he has to back out now unless we use the first stall. I walk in with him and we unload very slowly and carefully.  He is a good boy but is easily spooked so I try to keep unloading a very calm and methodical event.  Last September my truck broke down and I had to unload on I-90 in the blowing wind and rain on a mountain pass.  It was very scary for me thinking about everything that could go wrong, with semi trucks going by at 70 mph, rain and spray everywhere, but he was great... unloaded like a champ and loaded into a friend's trailer with no question. 

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-11-23 10:18 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)