'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
PURCHASING A USED TRAILER

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-21 12:56 PM
8 replies, 4216 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-20 11:03 AM (#95135)
Subject: PURCHASING A USED TRAILER

Expert

Recently in another thread, a posting was made that stated "My husband is concerned with buying used and not having the warranty.. He says buy used and you usually buy someone else's problem.."

I have purchased new and used trailers, as well as many other belongings and I have some thoughts about the process. This poster was looking for a BP two or three horse, non LQ trailer.

One thing to consider when buying new or used, is how complexly constructed and fitted, the product will be. A non LQ trailer is a relatively simple affair. It's basically a big box, with some openings. It has few mechanicals, and those are simple to maintain. The more simple the product is, the fewer the number things there are to go wrong. With no appliances and few holes in the roof, any maintenance is minimal.

Basically, the only things that will usually break or fail, will be those items that move and wear. A non LQ trailer has few moving or complex parts. They would include the tires, wheel bearings, brakes, doors, partitions and window hinges and their fasteners/latches.

Tires are both wear and time changed, and most trailer manufacturers defer to the tire manufacturer for warranties. Changing all four on a mid sized trailer can cost approximately $600 or less. If you plan on keeping your trailer for any length of time, you will have to consider their replacement whether you bought the trailer new or used.

Wheel bearings should be properly maintained. Depending on your local inspection requirements for checking your brakes, they can easily be driven over 20k miles without attention. My only issue with bearings was on a new trailer that wasn't properly serviced, never on a used trailer. I live in a hilly area, and have not yet had to replace my trailer brakes, the oldest of which is now twelve years old. It can cost up to a couple of hundred dollars to have four bearings repacked and the brakes inspected. This should be done regardless if the trailer is new or used.

Doors, partitions and windows, as well as their hardware, are subject to wear. Unless you have prior knowledge of what brand is a quality product, or of poor construction, to a novice, most new trailers look very similar and of equal value. This is one area in which a used trailer can become valuable. In looking over an assembly of new trailers, all resplendent in their brightly polished state, it's difficult to know the build quality from one brand to another. Are you looking at a Yugo or Bentley?

When you look at a used trailer, you can see what a few years of usage has done to the bright, impressive vision that once was parked on the lot. Are the doors sagging or do they fit and close well? Do the latches operate smoothly, are the wheel wells pristine or damaged by blow outs? Is the body and frame straight and free of rust? Are any welds cracked or broken, or do they all show structural integrity? Do the lighting and switches operate correctly?

If all these questions are answered in the affirmative, chances are this is a well built trailer, that has been properly maintained. You cannot get these answers from a new trailer. A cheaply built trailer will quickly show its spots, a well built one will maintain its integrity.

You can also gauge the attention this trailer has received from its owner. If its ratty and neglected, chances are its maintenance has been poor as well. However, by knowing what it costs to make things right again, a lower price can be negotiated. New tires, wheels and bearings can usually be installed for less than $1000. They will last you over half a decade. Broken or twisted doors and windows are sometimes difficult to source and repair. Unless you know the costs and availability of these parts, it would be advisable to find another trailer. If the trailer is well represented, chances are the owner has properly maintained it as well.

The original owner also had to deal with any problems that developed after the initial delivery. He had to deal with the warranty issues, and sort out the problems. Chances are these issues were finalized shortly after the sale.

A caveat of purchasing used, is that you can own more of a trailer, for a lower price, than if you buy new. With our first GN, we could only afford an 8' LQ all aluminum trailer. We looked at hundreds, over, inside and under and learned a great deal. At Congress we signed the papers on our choice on a Sunday, and Monday called to cancel the order. Because we purchase most items for the long haul, we decided overnight that compromising on what we really wanted, would later lead to our disapproval of this trailer.

We later purchased a used GN, that was far more elaborate than what we had initially considered buying. It has a mid tack, 13 foot LQ and more amenities than our initial budget allowed us to even consider. Our savings were substantial, enough so, that three years later were able to purchase a second LQ trailer. That too was purchased used. Our total expenditures for both are less than one would have cost. Our maintenance on both has been minimal. We are constantly being pleased with our choices.

Knowing how to gauge the capacities of the trailers and tires, and spending the proper time to adequately examine the trailer, can save you thousands of dollars. Used trailers typically sell for at least one third to one half less, than a new cost. Even with some minimal repairs and some elbow grease to improve its looks, your savings can be both substantial and rewarding.

BOL  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-11-20 11:37 AM (#95137 - in reply to #95135)
Subject: RE: PURCHASING A USED TRAILER

Expert

Well said.

This too, is what we did.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 2:07 PM (#95147 - in reply to #95135)

Elite Veteran

Thank you Gard... That is what i needed.  I would LOVE a new trailer, but hate to spend the $$ to get exactly what I want new (that Princess thing again..LOL!)  My biggest problem, other than $$ is that my husband could give a fat rat's a** about any of this and can't understand why I would want another trailer when I already have one that is paid for.. ... I don't think any of you can help me there!!

Leslie

**additional note: Why didn't you post this on my thread?

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-20 2:26 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-20 3:59 PM (#95152 - in reply to #95147)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-11-20 3:07 PM

Thank you Gard... That is what i needed.  I would LOVE a new trailer, but hate to spend the $$ to get exactly what I want new (that Princess thing again..LOL!)  My biggest problem, other than $$ is that my husband could give a fat rat's a** about any of this and can't understand why I would want another trailer when I already have one that is paid for.. ... I don't think any of you can help me there!!

Leslie

**additional note: Why didn't you post this on my thread?

Lately, there have been several inquiries about the purchasing of used trailers. I tried to make my posting generic, and my comments applicable to anyone who might be considering their purchase. You seem to have your situation well in hand, so I started a new posting.

Best of luck   Gard

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 7:11 PM (#95160 - in reply to #95135)

Veteran

I really have not seen a significant enough of savings to go with a used trailer.  I would only want one 2 or 3 years old and it doesn't seem like people are offering enough of a discount for used.  Has anyone else felt the same way?  It also seems like I always want something out of the ordinary so I need to order it to my specs anyhow.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-11-20 7:50 PM (#95162 - in reply to #95135)

Expert

I had a long list of must haves......Aluminum, 3H, walk-thru door, 6.cf dual power frig, furnace, AC, dual power water heater, mangers, 8' wide, full walk out door on front stall, hayrack, collapsable tackroom, built in generator with built in fuel tank with remote start, stud partition on front stall, complete bathroom with shower seperate from toilet, 10' short wall LQ, large awning, all in perfect condition.  I found one from an individual in 2006, 5 years old, less than 20 miles from my home, at a seriously considerable savings. I did look for about 3 years,  It had been used for 3 cross country hauls, and was absolutely immaculate, came with all new( that week) batteries and a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty.  Now that it is 7 years old it has had to have work done on the slide out step, and an adjustment on the furnace....so I have been out less than $200 on a 7 year old (now) trailer..............Just saying that there was not 2 cents difference in appearance or performance from a new one off the lot........the thousands I saved will enable me to afford the fuel to use it!!!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-11-20 7:51 PM
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-20 8:05 PM (#95163 - in reply to #95135)

Veteran

Gard, well said!  I would like to add that a trailer cover is well worth the $200-300.  As with cars, boats and such, a trailer that has been stored under a shelter or cover is in much better shape.     

doubledtrailers.com/Trailer_Covers.htm

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-20 8:13 PM (#95164 - in reply to #95163)

Expert

Originally written by DD_TrailerMan on 2008-11-20 9:05 PM

Gard, well said!  I would like to add that a trailer cover is well worth the $200-300.  As with cars, boats and such, a trailer that has been stored under a shelter or cover is in much better shape.     

doubledtrailers.com/Trailer_Covers.htm

I couldn't agree more. However, as an owner of two LQ trailers, I have yet to find covers that fit my trailers with their attached equipment, and can be easily installed or removed by one person. A non LQ trailer cover is relatively easy to purchase and install, not so for a LQ variant.

Is there such an item?

Gard

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-11-21 12:56 PM (#95179 - in reply to #95135)

Elite Veteran

You can buy new if you are willing to forgo a factory installed LQ. I bought a new shell and had custom LQ installed in it by a very small locally owned LQ business. Saved thousands and still got the amenities that I wanted with the layout; and had real craftsman work too (real oak cabinets and floors versus verneer).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)