'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Preserving an Aluminum floor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-14 7:53 PM
6 replies, 8653 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 12:08 PM (#94886)
Subject: Preserving an Aluminum floor

i just bought a 96 sooner all alum. 3H GN trailer. the lady who owned it before me was the original owner. she had plywood under the rubber mats and was told that this would preserve the aluminum by absorbing moisture. hubby and i pulled the mats and plywood out to clean and check the floor, which is still in decent shape (some minor pitting in a few spots, but nothing major). but the question i have is has anyone else heard of or done this before? it seems to me that the wood would hold moisture more than just having the mats over the alum. floor. the boards were kinda damp when we pulled them out, which makes me doubt this theory. also, does anyone use shavings in their trailer when hauling? i see this often too, but would think you would risk eye and respritory problems with shavings blowing around. would it absorb moisture and keep it off the floor, or just hold it in more. help! =]
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-11-14 12:49 PM (#94889 - in reply to #94886)
Subject: RE: Preserving an Aluminum floor

Veteran

If you sprinkle baking soda between the floor and the mats, it will not only control odor but it will also protect your floor by neutralizing the corrosive acids in urine and manure.

Welcome to the board.
KCW
  kcwalker@mail.com

Edited by KCW 2008-11-14 1:03 PM
DustFlyin
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 1:13 PM (#94890 - in reply to #94886)

baking soda sounds like a good idea! thanks for the tip! i have been watching these boards for a while before purchasing a trailer and they have been very helpful! now i actually have questions to post, kinda exciting! lol!
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-11-14 4:25 PM (#94896 - in reply to #94886)

Veteran

We pulled our mats our, did a thorough cleaning with muratic acid and then put several coats of the rubber bedliner stuff. We bought it by the gallon at Wal-Mart. You just have to make sure the floor is clean and rinsed before you apply this. Now we don't have to worry about the floor pitting. I think Gard and several others on here have done this also. Sure beats worrying about your floor and pulling out those heavy mats. Debbie
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 6:09 PM (#94901 - in reply to #94886)

Veteran

I've never used wood shaving because I worry about the same thing you do, I don't want the dust and small particles to become air born in transit and get in their eyes and lungs. Some folks will lightly spray the shaving with water to prevent that but it just seems like a big mess to me.
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-14 6:59 PM (#94904 - in reply to #94896)

Regular

I just pulled the mats out of my trailer.  I was wondering about the same thing.  The floor is in good shape just some pitting.  Those mats are heavy and worse to move around when wet.  Where in Walmart did you get that rubber bedliner stuff?  Around the paint dept or auto?  Might be a project for me next weekend while the kids are gone.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-14 7:53 PM (#94909 - in reply to #94886)

Expert

The pitting will have to be chemically cleaned or mechanically removed before any covering is applied. If it isn't treated, the corrosion will increase just as rust does on steel. Small problems now can turn into larger ones later.

Baking soda will not stop corrosion. It will reduce the acidic affects of urine and make things smell better.

Here's some ideas how to coat your trailer floor:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8063&start=1

We use shredded paper for stall bedding. No dust in the eyes, very absorbent, not slippery, easy to clean up, makes an ideal mulch.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)