'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Double D Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-11 2:44 PM
10 replies, 7770 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

1hazmat1
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-04 11:00 PM (#94284)
Subject: Double D Trailers

New User

Anyone have any experience or know anything about this company?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-11-05 1:51 PM (#94315 - in reply to #94284)
Subject: RE: Double D Trailers

Extreme Veteran

I have not actually seen one in person, but I have looked at a lot of them on the computer.  I like the rear swinging tack.  I'm thinking my next trailer will be a Double D.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-05 2:18 PM (#94320 - in reply to #94284)

Expert

Originally written by 1hazmat1 on 2008-11-04 12:00 AM

Anyone have any experience or know anything about this company?

Talk to this kid..... 

Bartley Heath

bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com

http://www.doubledtrailers.com/

They build a pretty good steel horse trailer. They even build a small self contained camping trailer that has compartments for chain saws and etc.. The loggers use them so someone can stay on the logging site to guard the equipment..... Keeps the "bird and bunny" folks from slipping up there in the dark, putting sand in the engine, fuel system and the hydraulic systems.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-05 6:02 PM (#94343 - in reply to #94284)

Veteran

Finally, someone asks about the trailer I build!  We have many happy customers from across the US and other countries so I will let the testimonials speak for themselves. 

Just a little about our company though...been in horse trailer business for 15 years, building trailers for 11.  Our model is factory direct to customers and currently build steel frame/galvaneal skin, steel frame/alum skin, full LQ, and our new all alum.  All work is completed onsite.  My expertise is in design and product development; I leave all sales to Darron or my bro, Brad.  While we probably won't be the cheapest, we do work hard to build a great product and keep our customers happy.  Let me know if I can help!

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 6:53 AM (#94370 - in reply to #94284)

Elite Veteran

Mr. Heath,

I've looked at these trailers many times. too. However, living on the coast prevents me from spending any money on a steel product.. I've liked what I see except for one thing... Your tackaround rear tack room, while a good idea, needs that inner corner smoothed or rounded off.. I imagine it'd be pretty ouchy if for some reason a horse got thrown back against that corner..

I've heard good things about your trailer and service... Keep up the good work.

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-06 6:56 AM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-11-06 7:50 PM (#94421 - in reply to #94284)

Extreme Veteran

I did an exhaustive inspection of two Double D trailers and was very impressed with the workmanship.  The people who owned the trailers and allowed me to crawl over and under their rigs were very happy with their purchases.

Marla

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 8:05 AM (#94450 - in reply to #94370)

Veteran

On the tack-around box, my dad designed it.  We patented the idea, and it is a good selling feature for us.  Most people are skeptical when they first see it but love it after seeing the advantages.   

On the rear tack box corner...in the past, we had a divider to hold the rear horse in place and off the corner.  Recently, we removed the divider and changed the angle of the box.  Now the angle of the box is the same angle as a tack wall you see in most other trailer designs.  In the original design, you had to open the tack-around box before unloading.  Now, you can unload while keeping the tack-around in place.  The biggest advantage of the tack-around is that the entire rear of the trailer is open in just seconds.  Also, the tack-around keeps you saddles completely dry and you can lock the box.  The only disadvantage I hear is that the box is somewhat bulky.  We are working to build the box out of aluminum rather than steel.  The new box is much lighter and easier to handle.  It is still big but that is a good thing...more space to store 'stuff'. 

I am interested in opinions of which design is better, the original square box with rear divider or the new angled box and butt bar (no rear divider)

This shows a good picture of the old design
http://www.doubledtrailers.com/Revelation.htm#images

This shows the new design on our all aluminum trailer, its hard to tell from the pictures but the box is angled
http://horsetrailerworld.com/Doubled/details.asp?ID=175755

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-11-07 8:07 AM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 9:50 AM (#94454 - in reply to #94284)

Elite Veteran

Well, It looks as if you fixed the only drawback that I could see!! As I said, I've heard lots of good things about your business and trailers... Wish i didn't live so close to the water....

Leslie

add'l note: I looked at your new alum. trailer.. Does the tackaround  open to the inside (horse doorway)?  From what I can see, the tackaround floor is angled as it would be with a tapering horse-side wall, but it looks as if the angle is on what is the front (opening) wall of the tackaround.. I am assuming that the tackaround has been pulled out somewhat to show it's features. Can you clarify please?  Also, I'm guessing that this new aluminum trailer with it's new features will also be available in bumper pull models?

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-11-07 10:02 AM
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 2:20 PM (#94475 - in reply to #94454)

Veteran

Hey Leslie,

Our patented tack-around feature is on all slant load models.  The horse actually leans against the door of the tack box.  We have beefed up the door to ensure any movement by the horse does not bend/warp the door.  There are door stops on the inside so there is no danger of the horse pushing the door through the frame.  Also, the door hinges are smooth and rounded, the latch is flush mounted, and the door is padded.  The tack-around was designed with horse safey in mind, it is safe, solid and secure.  Also, the angle is such that the horse could be standing next to the door and you could still swing out the tack-around without touching the horse...if you decided to open tack-around before unloading rear horse.   

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-11-07 2:21 PM
Darkesong
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-10 10:19 PM (#94661 - in reply to #94284)

New User

I have had a Double D for about 5 years now and I can honestly say I wouldnt buy another brand. The only problem I have encountered with mine is the roof seams started leaking the past year. I need to climb up there and put some sealer on them. The tack around design is total genius. Everyone who sees my trailer comments on how nice it is and I can get horses to load in it that won't in any other trailer. I own the 3h deluxe with the 64 inch shortwall.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 2:44 PM (#94700 - in reply to #94661)

Veteran

Years ago, we used a different roof sealer.  Send me some pictures and I will come up with a solution.  We are now using a 3M product to seal the seams, also welding the seams to prevent flexing if the customer walks on top of the roof.

Bartley Heath
DoubleDTrailers.com

Edited by DD_TrailerMan 2008-11-26 1:59 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format