'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer lock, "Trailer Aid", hitch-up thingy?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-13 10:47 PM
17 replies, 9474 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-31 8:24 PM (#94056)
Subject: Trailer lock, "Trailer Aid", hitch-up thingy?

Regular

I have found my first trailer and will soon be picking it up. I guess I need to get one of those locks that goes onto the front of the trailer where it hooks to the truck--without one, anybody could just hitch up and drive away with my brand-new trailer. Is there any particular kind that is best? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I've seen the "Trailer Aid" (and similar gadgets) in which you drive the good tire of the trailer on so that you can change a flat? Is this worth having?

I've also seen the gadget which has a long thin pole that attaches to the truck and another for the trailer, supposedly helping you line them up properly if you are hitching up alone. Is this worthwhile? Or do I just need to practice and keep getting out and looking at where the truck is?

Anything else I need? At this point I'm just picking up the empty trailer--I'll worry about horse stuff (feed bags, etc) later.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-01 12:09 AM (#94060 - in reply to #94056)
Subject: RE: Trailer lock, "Trailer Aid", hitch-up thingy?

Veteran

Trailer Aid definately worth it the first time you have a flat.......
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-11-01 3:34 AM (#94062 - in reply to #94056)

Veteran

Howdie

The trailer lock is a really good idea - speak to Dave McAdoo at Tobruk Trailers, ( tobruk farm ) he will be able to offer you the right thing at the right price - and he is a really good guy.

Good luck with your new trailer, hope you have many happy miles with it.

Cheers for now

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-01 4:58 AM (#94063 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

Several people will tell you that the trailer locks are easy for a thief to remove.Probably,but,we keep one on our trailers anyway.Better to slow someone down than have nothing.Choose one that doesn't use a padlock but is a locking device itself.

The trailer aid will pay for itself several times over,the first time you have a flat,as was said.

I've backed up to a hitch enough now that I can sight a spot on my trucks' tailgate to line up with my trailer hitch.I do have one of the "spotters" that has magnets to put on the hitches,and if I am by myself and in a hurry,it really does help me out.

Have fun with your new trailer!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-01 5:29 AM (#94064 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

Trailer Aid/Jiffy Jack...... http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=10289

Trailer Lock, threads and links...... http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9404

(quote).... I've also seen the gadget which has a long thin pole that attaches to the truck and another for the trailer, supposedly helping you line them up properly if you are hitching up alone. Is this worthwhile? Or do I just need to practice and keep getting out and looking at where the truck is?    Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-11-01 11:06 AM (#94071 - in reply to #94056)

Regular

My trailer has a little mirror mounted on the front and when you look at it, you think it would never work, but it works perfect.  You can't see anything in it, until all of a sudden your hitch appears and that's exactly when you are in the right spot.  I bought my trailer never haven driven one before and have had very little trouble hitching it by myself.  Works better for me than someone trying to direct me.  when someone tries to be "helpful", I just want to tell them to , "Go away, I can do this better on my own with my little mirror."
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-01 9:50 PM (#94077 - in reply to #94056)

Regular

Thanks! I had no idea there were so many options on locking up a trailer--rather overwhelming. I should definitely get something, though, because it will probably end up parked at my boarding stable--many people coming and going and no one really knows who owns all the trailers. It would be easy to drive off with one.

It sounds like I should definitely get a Trailer Aid or Jiffy Jack.

I'm not grasping the location of the little mirror thingy on the front of the trailer. Is that on a gooseneck? I'm not seeing how it would work with a bumper pull.

Thanks everyone for your help, and for the links to the Trailer Aid and lock info.

Jennifer

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-01 10:51 PM (#94078 - in reply to #94077)

Expert

I'm guessing you have a bumper pull trailer!

I think the brand name is actually bulldog, it is a cast lock that actually fits up into the hitch and has a bar that goes through the top to install a lock. Have tried to cut it with bolt cutters and a hack saw with not luck at all.
When you buy a lock, don't buy a cheap one. (cheap one are not good and good ones are not cheap) There is one out by MASTER that works great and when it is locked you can not cut the hasp.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-01 11:21 PM (#94080 - in reply to #94078)

Expert

The one that we have on our BP fits up into the nose of the hitch and a bar goes over the top,but,it has its' own lock and is self contained,no additional lock is needed.We got ours at Tractor Supply.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-01 11:57 PM (#94083 - in reply to #94080)

Expert

You are correct that is the same type setup, by we had the same one from tractor supply 2 years ago and lost the key, 2 hits with a 5 lbs sledge hammer and it was off!

This other one as long as you use the lock that you can not get to the hasp works great, I bought 2 of them, one to use and one to test and see what breaks it.  So far, hack saw does nothing but mark the metal, bolt cutters don't even scratch the top bar and the 5 lbs sledge make my arm hurt from beating on it!

We have the same brand for our gooseneck as well.

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-11-02 9:16 AM (#94090 - in reply to #94056)

Regular

The mirror is on a bumper pull.  Mine came with it, so I have no idea how to figure out where to mount it (I'd guess mine is maybe 3 or 4 feet above the trailer's hitch), if you bought one.  I've seen them in catalogs.  It is a little rectangle mirror, maybe 8 inches by 6 inches and is mounted tilting downward.  As I said, I had little faith in how it would work, but as you back towards the trailer you only see your hitch ball right when it gets into the right spot.  When you see it, you stop and you are ready to drop the trailer right on the ball.  You do have to be able to find a fairly straight line by yourself, because if you are significantly left or right, you won't see the ball, it will be out of the mirror range.  Backing up is not my best skill and even I don't seem to have much trouble with that part of it. 
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-05 5:20 PM (#94338 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

I bought my BP hitch lock from Country Supply. I don't know how safe it was if someone wanted to break it off - but I believe it's enough of a deterant if you trailer is someplace where there is activity around.

The back up thingy. Get the tall thin rod that has magnetic base. You'll figure out the centering thing pretty easily - but I always had trouble with how far back to go!! And to avoid jumping in and out of the truck when no one is there - I use a similar device on my GN. It falls over when the coupler touches it. Saves lots of dents in the bumper and license plate with a BP - and a dented tailgate with the GN.

yes, yes, yes, trailer aid. Again, Country Supply (horse.com) sells them.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-11-05 5:26 PM (#94340 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

You will want to buy the 4-way cross lug wrench. They come in different sizes depending on the size of your lug nuts.

Then, go to HomeDepot or similar store and buy 20" of tube steel pipe that will fit OVER one end of the wrench (I bought 2" inside diameter steel pipe). Have them deburr each end of the steel pipe. This will be your "breaker bar". You fit the 4-way wrench onto your lug nut, then put the breaker bar on the spoke of the wrench where you will pull or push. Be careful - it IS possible to rip the lug nut off - but you will gain much more leverage with the breaker bar.

Some triangle road markers too and a fire extinguisher. A can of WD40. If I have a flat to fix, I spray ALL the lug nuts with the WD40, wait 10-20 minutes, then barely loosen them. Then drive up on the trailer-aid and remove the lug nuts. If you drive up on the trailer-aid first, there is no resistance and the wheel spins when you try to use the wrench. : )

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-11-08 5:20 AM (#94501 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

A wheel lock similar to a denver boot is much more effective than a hitch lock...
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-11-08 10:55 AM (#94511 - in reply to #94056)

Extreme Veteran

We had a blow-out on our trailer in the early summer.  First blow-out ever as we were pulling 4H 14SW fully loaded.  Luckily had a Trailer-Aid.  We pulled in a parking lot and using the Trailer-Aid changed out the tire and was back on the road in 30 minutes and never had to unload a horse.  Definately worth the money!!!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-08 12:42 PM (#94519 - in reply to #94056)

Expert

I've seen the "Trailer Aid" (and similar gadgets) in which you drive the good tire of the trailer on so that you can change a flat? Is this worth having?

I don't go anywhere with out our trailer aid and a 4way lug wrench.  Change one tire on a trailer and you'll realize that it was money well spent. 

Last time we went out we couldn't find the wrench to lift the rear jacks on our camper and the 4way had the right size so we could lift the jacks and come home.  After unpacking we found the jack, in the laundry basket?????

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-08 5:53 PM (#94540 - in reply to #94511)

Expert

Originally written by tom-tom on 2008-11-08 10:55 AM

We had a blow-out on our trailer in the early summer.  First blow-out ever as we were pulling 4H 14SW fully loaded.  Luckily had a Trailer-Aid.  We pulled in a parking lot and using the Trailer-Aid changed out the tire and was back on the road in 30 minutes and never had to unload a horse.  Definately worth the money!!!

second that!!! Definately worth it's weight in gold if you've ever had this happen,same thing happened to us early summer,Memorial Day weekend,10PM going around interstate at Springfield,MO.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-11-13 10:47 PM (#94863 - in reply to #94078)

Regular

I bought this lock at Tractor Supply:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_140420_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Is this the one that someone knocked apart easily with a sledge hammer?  I do plan to get a wheel lock, but they are enough $$ that I want to shop around and make sure I get the best deal. I am hoping to get by with the coupler lock for a little while until I get time to really research the wheel locks. It should still be a bit of a deterrent. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)