'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Harness

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-08 6:06 PM
38 replies, 11457 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-27 8:13 AM (#93699 - in reply to #92804)
Subject: RE: Harness

Extreme Veteran

Ridingarocky...

Not sure what you mean by "longing at liberty"... I would never harness an animal and turn it loose!!...  Begin by harnessing the horse/pony with the harness fitting well.  Use the "blind" bridle, the surcingle with turrets, the crupper - leave off the traces and you won't need the breast collar at the start. I always start with a snaffle bit - usually a half cheek wrapped in latex. Contact with the bit is important with a driving horse.  Also use the noseband fitted snuggly so the horse does not get his tongue over the bit.  Run the long lines through the turrets on the surcingle and stand behind the animal and using your whip (always) encourage the animal forward. 

Can't explain this all in an email... look for a good video or contact a reputable trainer in your area for some basic instruction.  Every mistake you make will cost you in the end and can be dangerous!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-02 8:12 AM (#94088 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

What I meant by longeing at liberty is round penning.. We have a small round pen at our stable ... I don't know the exact size, but it is small enough to stay within @ 10 -12 feet of the horse if you are standing in the center.. I thought it might help (after accustoming the horse to the harness) to "free-longe" the horse in the round pen
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-02 6:01 PM (#94099 - in reply to #92804)

Hitched up "Betty" my new buggy mare today and drove the buggy around the yard and down to the pasture and back to the barn.  There are several pretty steep inclines so I am confident that the driveway descent will not be a problem for her.  Am planning to drive her further tomorrow.  She is a great gal and I am so pleased with her!
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-11-03 12:38 PM (#94150 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

Riding... I would never harness a horse and then let them go "free" even in a round pen.  There is absolutely no way to secure all the parts of a harness like there is with a riding saddle.  It's too easy for it to come undone and cause spooking or even injury.  You can use longlines through the turrets instead of regular reins and by standing in the center, you can "steer" your horse around and have them get used to the new equipment.  Even allowing the longlines to drop behind the rump and hit the legs in "odd" places will help, but never completely loose!

Rose... so glad your Betty seems to be working out.  Don't forget to send pics!  I attended the Pennsylvania Hunt Cup races this weekend in Kennett Square PA.  What fun!  In addition to the steeplechase type races, they had a Carriage/Coach demo which included 22 carriages - all different types of horses and vehicles.  After the "parade" the spectators were welcome to walk through the parked vehicles and observe and speak to the the whips and passengers. Had a really nice time and it got me thinking about driving again... haven't done much of it over the past few years since I went back to trail riding.  Cleaning all that driving stuff was a drag.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-03 8:47 PM (#94193 - in reply to #92804)

Jakey

Yes cleaning the stuff is icky....I have not yet finished cleaning the buggy, hence no pix;  altho Betty is clean so I could get a pix of her.....I am going to work on it tomorrow as I am anxious to go out and about, but I do not want to embarass Betty by taking her out hooked to a filthy buggy.

Edited by rose 2008-11-03 8:49 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-06 9:38 PM (#94433 - in reply to #92804)

info for driving horses from www.horsecart.com

Books

Carts | Wagons | Cart Parts & Options | Harness | Harness Parts | Driving Tack | Books | Videos

Breaking & Training the Driving Horse

This book tells you everything from how to
ground drive to harnessing correctly.
Great illustrations. Best book for training.
Doris Ganton 1985, paperback, 85pp

Starting to Drive

A wonderful step-by-step instruction to safe
harnessing, hitching, and basic driving
techniques. Color illustrations throughout.

Best book on harnessing.
Sallie Walrond 1994, paperback, 24pp

$14.99 <form action=http://easycart.plugnpay.com/easycart.cgi method=post encType=x-www-form-urlencoded>Qty.

<form action=http://easycart.plugnpay.com/easycart.cgi method=post> $14.99<form action=http://easycart.plugnpay.com/easycart.cgi method=post encType=x-www-form-urlencoded>Qty.

Grants Pass, OR 97526

541-476-5321

horsecarts@charter.net

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 7:25 AM (#94448 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the info.. that's helpful!!

Rose, we want to see pics soon!!

Leslie

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-11-07 7:51 AM (#94449 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

The Doris Ganton book is a good basic reference.  I can't speak to the Sally Waldron book, although Sally is a well respected whip.  I think I'd look for a good video and still want an experienced driving person along to help.... especially at the start.  There is just so much to driving that is different than riding.  When you ride, especially western, you tend to ride off the bit.  You don't want to "hang" on your horse's mouth all the time.  In driving, you DO want constant contact with the horse's mouth.  For example... rather than pull back on the right rein to make a right turn, when driving, you keep your right rein constant and let up on the left rein. 

There's a certain amount of coordination that should be developed so that you always carry (in your hand not in the whip holder) your whip.  You do not have your legs as aids when you drive like you do when you ride, so using your whip correctly is very important.  Along with your voice, it's your only means of impulsion.

It is so very important to have proper harness and carriage fit!.  The carriage should not be pulled only by the traces... it needs to be balanced in the tugs so that the weight of the carriage is not pushing down on the horse's back....  way too much to explain in an email, but hope I'm making my point.  I need to put my podium away!  I'm not trying to scare or discourage, just emphasizing the safety issues.  People seem to think that driving is easy...  it's great fun, lots of work, but not easy if done correctly.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-11-07 10:20 AM (#94460 - in reply to #92804)

Elite Veteran

I appreciate any and all information... As, I've made pretty clear, I am a complete and total greenhorn about driving.. .. Someone's coming to look at the pony today... keep your fingers crossed for me...

There is an Amish community about 45 min to an hour's drive from here.. Someone suggested that I get them to make a harness for our pony if I wish to get that far.. ..It's something to think about.. Right now, I'm hoping she sells.. My mare would be a beautiful cart horse, but I think she is not harness horse material... She is too silly.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-07 11:59 AM (#94467 - in reply to #92804)

Ridingarocky You might consider a visit to the Amish community; probably there is an Amish horseshoer and/or harness maker who will allow you to ride in a buggy with them to observe the driving of the horse...I have found the majority of the Amish community to be very friendly and helpful in this regard to us "English" Jakey:  I got both of the books when I started and found them both immensely helpful....I had the Diane Gueck video on getting a twh ready to drive and driving, but for me the books worked better.  The Walrond book is so nice and basic and assumes nothing, excellent for a newbie.

And I promise pics today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rose 2008-11-07 12:05 PM
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-11-07 12:39 PM (#94470 - in reply to #92804)

Extreme Veteran

We live a couple of hours from the Lancaster PA area and through the years have always had good relationships with Amish harness and carriage makers.  We had an Amishman make all our harness for years.  He also worked with a gentleman from our community who drove.  Dan would get picked up at his home with a couple of his kids and sometimes his wife and they would spend a few days out here helping this gentleman.  He would stop by my house if we needed him to measure ponies for new harness or to pick up and drop off new or repaired stuff.

Hey Rose... did you find me a Hackney pony mare yet?  I'm still looking for a broodmare and there aren't many Hackney's in my neck of the woods. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-07 5:20 PM (#94481 - in reply to #92804)

Jakey: not yet but am going out and about tomorrow, so....

Do not know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the pictures to attach;  will try again later.

Edited by rose 2008-11-07 5:25 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-07 10:36 PM (#94495 - in reply to #92804)

Gave up on pix here, so please look at Betty the buggy mare on camp/trail.  I know the pix are not the best but at least I did get them here today as promised.  And tomorrow is another day!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-08 6:06 PM (#94542 - in reply to #92804)

Jakey   Sent you a pm about hackney  ponies
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World