'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long rider treks 2,000 miles across the West--NEEDS RIDE TO OK !

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-22 9:55 AM
5 replies, 4266 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-18 8:21 PM (#95096)
Subject: Long rider treks 2,000 miles across the West--NEEDS RIDE TO OK !

Elite Veteran

This guy rode from OK to WA, but now he needs to find a ride back to OK for himself, one horse and one mule. Anywho going his way? Otherwise, he has to wait until about May to ride back home. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20081117-0029-wst-longride...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-11-19 4:50 PM (#95111 - in reply to #95096)
Subject: RE: Long rider treks 2,000 miles across the West--NEEDS RIDE TO OK !

That guy should have stayed home! This is a perfect example of someone not too bright going off on a half-a**** tangent and then expecting others to foot the bill when his lack of forethought puts him in a bind! Sounds like the welfare system on horseback!What person in their right mind would ride so far, let alone without purpose or a contingency plan, (riding ridiculously close to a highway or not thinking that a dog's feet are going to be burned by hot pavement) AND THEN expect other horsemen and women to pick up the tab?! Why should we buy into that mentality? I, for one, feel very sorry for his animals and not sorry for him. Let HIM walk 2.000 miles home.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-19 5:25 PM (#95112 - in reply to #95111)

Elite Veteran

Not sure that he is asking for a free ride. Maybe just asking if anyone is going that way.

Did you bother to read the part where he did BUY a truck and it broke down?

Geez...give the guy a break.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-11-19 6:03 PM (#95113 - in reply to #95096)

Veteran

There are many riders out there like him than you think. I would love to do something like that and I bet many others would too. I feel sorry for his dog, but I applaud the guy for doing what he did. It takes a lot of guts to attempt something like that and follow through with it. I am sure it was not the easiest ride of his life. I would rather share my wealth with someone like him rather than some of my hard earned money going to others drawing a check and just sitting on their patooty just because they can and too darned lazy to get out and work.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-11-19 6:09 PM (#95114 - in reply to #95113)

Elite Veteran

You bet! If this guy knocked on my door looking for a place to overnite his horse and mule, he would be welcomed. I think you can follow him at the Long Rider's Guile website. A few years ago, there was a man making his way across the upper Midwest in a wagon, I offered him a place to stay, if he come close enough to my place. It happen that he went through my area during the morning and my trimmer worked on his draft horse's hooves.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-11-22 9:55 AM (#95221 - in reply to #95096)

Extreme Veteran

For the most part this guy did things right. Much as one can say it's bad he let his dogs feet get blistered out of short sightedness, shame on him, one must commend him for having his wife come take the dog home. He did not abandon the dog, or force it to continue with him on the trip. The horse and mule look in great condition. This mans journey could definitely be used against the Georgia men in the Montana cruelty case. Showing without a doubt the four horses in Montana were subjected to cruel treatment that was totally avoidable. Ignorance is not an excuse. This man put 10 sets of shoes on his horse and mule during the course of his trip! The Heydon's couldn't be bothered to provide proper farrier care for their animals. From what I gleaned from this article the mule never carried more then @ 110 or so pounds the whole trip with a proper and most likely balanced pack. This is an example that horses can be used for long trips with proper planning and care and that the condition of the Bitter Root horses was avoidable and should not be forgiven and more importantly should not be returned to those men ever.

Perhaps he should try the share a ride forum here. Hmmm, has anyone ever had success getting a ride through that forum?

Edited as I had mispelled the Heydon's name.

Edited by Yvette 2008-11-22 10:22 AM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)