'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Left for Dead- Do you know these Horses??

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-16 12:43 PM
44 replies, 11032 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-09-30 6:45 PM (#92377 - in reply to #91903)
Subject: RE: Left for Dead- Do you know these Horses??

Extreme Veteran

Every one to his own, but I can not see either tax dollars or donation dollars being spend on all these rescue horses, when there are so many humans that truly need a helping hand. I don't mean the free loaders, but those that really need a helping hand. Seems to me human needs should have a higher priority. Just look around you at the disabled and the elderly that for one reason or another, are barely feeding themself.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-09-30 7:53 PM (#92382 - in reply to #91903)

Elite Veteran

There should be serious consequences for the "men" who did this to those horses. NO animal deserves to be neglected in that way. It is inexcusable. They should be held liable for all costs involved with care and treatment of those horses.......period. But I know that would only happen in a normal world......If people choose to donate funds for their care then so be it. It is their money. Don't tell them how to use it.

Edited by Gone 2008-10-16 5:40 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 9:01 PM (#92385 - in reply to #92377)

Expert

Aside from the humane society (who takes donations too) I don't see tax dollars being spent on animals.....  But what people choose to donate to is their choice.  I think people should be taken care of first, but I'm not going to let an animal starve either. 
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 9:04 PM (#92387 - in reply to #91903)

Is there any word on the prosecution of these knotheads?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-09-30 10:21 PM (#92390 - in reply to #92387)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2008-09-30 9:04 PM

Is there any word on the prosecution of these knotheads?

Yes, is there? Without their abuse, the horses wouldn't need to be rescued.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-09-30 11:41 PM (#92395 - in reply to #91903)

Extreme Veteran

As far as I can tell the donations are what is making the difference in this case. I read where they weren't sure they would have the means or money to help these horses, but the outpouring from the horse community has made it possible.Frankly I've gotten to the point that when idiots ask me what I think about abortion, I say I think more people should have them. Yup, politically correct I have a hard time with sometimes.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-09-30 11:59 PM (#92398 - in reply to #91903)

Yvette:  just not enuf clorine in the gene pool

I am still interested in an update on the prosecution

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-05 8:42 PM (#92630 - in reply to #91990)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-09-23 4:44 PM

To help these horses, please consider making a donation.Donors can send a check to Bitter Root Humane Assoc., 262 Fairgrounds Rd., Hamilton, MT 59840 or ... call 406-363-5449 to do a credit card over the phone or... make a PayPal Donation at: sheltering@brvmontana.com Visit www.bitterroothumane.org which also has a PayPal button for donations and an update on the "boys."
The email address in your post is not the one for Bitter Root Humane involved in this rescue or at least not the one they use for donations. I know because I made a PayPal donation through their site. Their PayPal email is: support@bitterroothumane.org Which makes more sense that they are a .org and not a .com.Best way to make sure any PayPal donations goto the right place use the link for donations on their site. Just click on Make A Donation http://www.bitterroothumane.org/Default.asp If anyone has donated to the other email address you may want to verify where your money went.

edited to add a necessary space.

Edited by Yvette 2008-10-05 8:45 PM

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-05 8:48 PM (#92632 - in reply to #91903)

Extreme Veteran

It seems if you sent any paypal to support@brvmontana.com this is who got it, not Bitter Root Humane. http://www.brvmontana.com/ That is their paypal payment email.
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 9:19 PM (#92797 - in reply to #92377)

Different people choose different ways to donate their money and I don't think anyone should tell us what the better cause is.  There are lots of needs out there and I think each person should donate as they see fit.  Personally, I choose to donate my hard-earned dollars to pet rescue organizations since that's where my heart is. The next person may have a different passion and that's what keeps everything going.

"Saving just one animal won't change the world; but surely the world will change for that one animal."

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-11 10:54 AM (#92902 - in reply to #91903)

Extreme Veteran

http://www.rockymountainrider.com/1008_rescued_horses_update.htm

Big surprise, the Heydon's don't want to pay for the care of the horses. Say they intended to bring them home to care for. BS those horses wouldn't have made the trip home with the kind of care they were providing.

Oh and the lawyer needs to do some research, Lewis and Clark traveled by river not by horseback and no pack animals were used as far as I could find. Not to mention get a grip in his statement of: “It is not that anyone set out to abuse animals. My understanding is that they did their best to feed and care for these animals as best they could in the situation they were in." A situation they put themselves in with poor planning. As soon as the horses started getting thin, tenderfoot and sores started to show, they needed to abandon their plans to live off the land and get to where they could take care of the horses properly PERIOD! No excuse whatsoever. Next time they get the brilliant idea of living off the land, they need to not involve any animals but themselves.

Anyway, intended or not is not the point, the horses were horribly abused and neglected and there is no evidence that they did anything to ease their pain or dress the wounds. There is no excuse for the wounds those horses suffered serving these men best they could. Here's for the judge doing the right thing and ensuring these guys do not get a single one of these horses back.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-11 12:52 PM (#92905 - in reply to #91903)

Expert

Anyone will get a little on the thin side after spending two months in the Wilderness.

A little thin?  Did the lawyer not look at those pictures!!  Good Lord, their herbivores.  If taken care of they should have had plenty to eat in the wilderness.  Even if they didn't get/stay fat they wouldn't have had ribs and hips poking out.  If the deer and moose can stay fat a horse ought to be able to not starve.

And your right.  According to National Geographic, Thomas Jefferson dispatched Lewis and Clark to find a water route across North America and explore the uncharted West.  Boats don't eat.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-10-11 7:39 PM (#92912 - in reply to #92902)

Expert

Typical of some city guy in a suit that doesn't know crap about what he's talking about.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-10-12 6:17 AM (#92919 - in reply to #92912)

Elite Veteran

Amen! keep the suits out of anything that requires backwoods understanding. I those horses had been children, it would have been all over the news and all the bleeding hearts would hemorage money to take care of them. and... a little off topic here... have any of you heard of people dumping horses off at trails into other people's trailers??? some one told me they heard about this.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-12 10:13 AM (#92924 - in reply to #91903)

Extreme Veteran

Sad thing is Terri, their lawyers probably have seen the pictures, but the horses aren't paying their fees. The saddest thing is the horses likely looked worst in person then in those pictures, which is really horrifying if you give it any thought.

Calamity, I've been threatening my Vet for years that he's going to show up to his office and their will be a little bay Thoroughbred tied to his door.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-10-12 3:45 PM (#92941 - in reply to #91903)

Elite Veteran

It isn't emotional for attorneys. Bottom line is they want to win even if they know they are representing someone who is evil.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-15 1:09 PM (#93097 - in reply to #92941)

Extreme Veteran

Seems they have requested a jury trial! These guys really are idiots if they don't realize what they did was wrong and think a jury would acquit them of wrong doing in this case. The trial date is scheduled for January 27, 2009 at the Ravalli County Courthouse, 205 Bedford Street, Hamilton, MT. It is suggested to call the court house to verify date and time. After all there is a chance they will plea bargain or realize there is no way they can defend against the obvious abuse they put these four horses through. http://www.ravallicounty.mt.gov/justicecourt/justice.htm

http://www.bitterroothumane.org/Display.asp?Page=News#horseabuse

On a better note the Bitter Root Humane Society, where the horses are being kept at, raised an additional $10,000 on Oct 9th at a local community auction to help care for the horses. How awesome is that?

So unless these guys admit their guilt before then, we likely won't get updates about the legal action, but I'd bet there will be updates on the horses condition.

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-10-15 2:19 PM (#93104 - in reply to #91903)

Extreme Veteran

Oh and as for Lewis and Clark. Apparently they did buy some horses from the Shoshone Indians for the mountain crossing. Seems they weren't much better at caring for their horses, though something tells me they tried harder under the circumstances. After all, they needed the horses to get their supplies through the mountains. No back up of a pickup truck and a grocery store nearby. At least two of the horses fell off the slippery slopes of the mountain. Yikes! http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/101.htm From a program on the History Channel that happened to be on yesterday morning, weird timing huh, it was stated the horses were used as pack horses, no horses were bought for riding. Once across the mountains I'm guessing as it's not specified they let the horses loose (ate some?) and continued by river.

However, whatever happened to Lewis and Clark 200 years ago should have no bearing on the here and now. The Heydon's were cruel for no good reason at all.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-10-15 8:39 PM (#93125 - in reply to #91903)

Elite Veteran

If you ever get a chance, read " The Journals of Lewis and Clark" It is a signet classic.. may be able to find it under penguin.com.. I picked it up in Montana on vacation a couple of years ago.. We did a roundabout trip: flying into Co, driving thru Wyo, into SD to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse's monument, then up to Custer's battle field and incidentally to Pompey's Pillar, where Wm Clark's carved signature is still visible in a bluff.. I may have picked the book up there..We finished our trip by spending time in Cody, Wyo and went to see Yellowstone (Jellystone to those of us who remember Yogi Bear).... If any of you guys are history buffs like me, you will enjoy the book..  I remember it saying something about them eating their horses, too. I know they ate a lot of dogs, which they rather liked.. I seem to remember a journal entry in there somewhere where it states that they ate a colt.. 
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-10-16 12:43 PM (#93152 - in reply to #93104)

Expert

I would think that the Lews and Clark people would take care of their animals since they relied upon them for survival.  No rescue chopters back then....  There were no trails so a pack animal sliding down a mountian isn't unexpected especially if it had never been in the mountians and was careless of where it put it's feet.  Lots of Indians ate horses.  It was meat.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)