'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Butt Bars and Ponies

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-09 8:17 AM
8 replies, 4775 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dirtgirl
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 8:56 AM (#92757)
Subject: Butt Bars and Ponies

Am trailering a friend's pony to a show this weekend in my Sundowner straight load two horse. Has front managers. While the butt bar hits him high, one time while we were practice loading he managed to slip underneath the rear butt bar. We got him loaded again ok but I this weekend I don't want any funny stuff on the road! Is there something I can do to modify the drop or should I attach some sort of "fringe" to the butt bar padding just to make him think there is more there? Any ideas would be appreciated.The butt bar is attached to the center divider in this trailer so it'd be difficult at this point to try and do any modifications.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 9:14 AM (#92759 - in reply to #92757)
Subject: RE: Butt Bars and Ponies

Expert

I believe I would leave it down, less chance of him getting caught underneath and ending up with a sore or even worse, a broken back. Just be ready when you open the rear door, or you'll get run over!! Give him a full haybag, that will keep him occupied.

Edited by retento 2008-10-08 9:15 AM
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-10-08 10:18 AM (#92761 - in reply to #92757)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Retento; leave the butt bar down.  Just enter the escape door before unloading; and have one person have hold of the pony while the other person drops the ramp.  Should work OK. 
riddenhardputawaywet
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 11:11 AM (#92766 - in reply to #92757)

Regular

If you are planning on trailering this pony on a regular basis I would attach chains on either side of the butt bar, have them drop down the required height. Then weld a bar to them, make sure that the bar is long enough to catch the center support and outside edge or the door. If the pony pushes back it will stop him and will still move easily for you when unloading.
dirtgirl
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 12:49 PM (#92769 - in reply to #92757)

It's a step up trailer and I am a little concerned about leaving it down, wouldn't we run the chance of him getting loose and throwing himself against the back doors? Yes, getting some chains so we can drop it down is a great idea. Maybe we can work something out to safety rig something for this weekend.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-08 3:03 PM (#92779 - in reply to #92757)

Expert

(quote)  It's a step up trailer and I am a little concerned about leaving it down, wouldn't we run the chance of him getting loose and throwing himself against the back doors?

How is he going to get loose? You got him tied at the front? You afraid he'll knock the back doors open? If so then maybe this "pony" needs some time standing still in the trailer.

I think ya'll will be OK. Just tie him as usual and be careful when you open the back doors. Have a riding crop in hand to sting those hind legs if he tries to back out before he is told to do so. Maybe he needs to learn some trailering manners before he goes to a show. I don't see the problem of not using a butt bar. We haul with them turned loose in the stock trailer. Good luck.... I don't think adding those chains is going to work, he'll just scoot under that also. Add some chain to each end of the bar won't work, by the time he takes up the slack in the chains, his butt will be against the door. Unless it's all welded and attached to the trailer alot lower it's not going to do much good. Then he'll just buck, get his hind legs over the bar while being wedged between the bar and the closed door all the time ya'll are traveling down the road thinking everything is OK.... I had an old 2 horse trailer years ago (1970's), and I managed to haul every week, the trailer didn't have any butt bars, never had any problems. Remember when they were an option on a trailer?

Tie him up, leave the bar down, close the door, go to the show, win a big prize and tell us all about it when you get home.

riddenhardputawaywet
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 11:34 PM (#92805 - in reply to #92757)

Regular

Maybe I didn't explain my idea correctly, Retento.2 single chains on either end of the butt bar. Bottom of chains at the ponies rump. Weld a bar to the chains. Bar must go from inside edge to past the center bar. This will stop the bar from pushing out of the trailer. The only way the bar can get stuck under the back legs of the pony is if you find a 45 deg grade and the pony can do hand stands. I would much rather have a butt bar that works then tie my horse/pony in a trailer.Dirtgirl let me know if you need a drawing of what I was suggesting and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-09 7:17 AM (#92817 - in reply to #92757)

Expert

??????????

What's wrong with the door on your trailer?  Even if the pony leaned on it, it should stay shut?

Tie the pony, leave the butt bar down and run with it.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-10-09 8:17 AM (#92821 - in reply to #92757)

Extreme Veteran

My kid travelled all up and down the east coast with 3 12 hand ponies in a stock trailer tied side by side - no butt bar, no dividers - ramp was the back door. 

If you're that worried about the pony breaking through the back door, then perhaps you should think twice about trailering him at all.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)