'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Custom-fab trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-26 11:33 AM
10 replies, 13439 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slantedhorse
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-08-05 5:46 AM (#89033)
Subject: Custom-fab trailer

I haven't seen too many Custom-fab brand trailers in person ... anyone have one? Is it well constructed? I'm in the market for a 2 or 3 horse and thought I might give one of these a try.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-08-05 9:52 AM (#89050 - in reply to #89033)
Subject: RE: Custom-fab trailer

Veteran

Our friends purchased one about a year ago. It took 4X longer than promised to get it made, and several personal visits to the factory. I see you are in Virginia. Before you make the investment, it would be well worth your time and $$ to visit the factory to see how things are actually done. Have lunch in town at a local diner, or get gas at a local station and ask questions about the manufacturer.

Brenda

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-05 10:40 AM (#89053 - in reply to #89033)

Expert

They're made about an hour from where we live. Supposedly they are "copies" of 4 Star products. I have seen several at various local shows, and while I can't attest to them being exactly like 4 Star, they seem ruggedly built. I've never looked underneath, but the visible welds, while complete, aren't pretty and the overall finish and fit are more of a working trailer than a show piece. I've never heard anything derogatory said about their usage or durability.

The builder is related by a family member, to a near by trailer sales business. He has a poor reputation in the retail horse trailer sales department. They are not the same companies.

Gard

NC SUNDOWN
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-05 8:40 PM (#89090 - in reply to #89033)

WE USEDTO BE A DEALER FOR CUSTOM-FAB. WHILE THE TRILER SEEMS QUITE DURABLE THE MANUFACTURER WILL CUT ANY CORNER AND SKIMP WHEREVERHE CAN.   MG

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-08-06 6:29 AM (#89102 - in reply to #89033)

Veteran

yAlthough I have owned a custom fab for many years,  there were many little careless things on the trailer that drive me nuts.  When they were welding inside,  they left the welding dripping in the manger so there are welded rough spots right were your horses would eat.  My husband had a friend who bought a Custom Fab and they put the wrong sized wheel on the spare tire and it did not have enough lug nuts,  he realized this when he had a flat.  I also had a friend who had Custom Fab sell a horse trailer for her and at one point she had no title to the trailer and no check for the sale,  she really had to hold her breath while Custom Fab got her the money.   I would not buy from them again.

Edited by Ncatanz 2008-08-06 8:19 AM
jaltmeyer1
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-07 10:42 AM (#89200 - in reply to #89033)

New User

In respone to the Custom-Fab trailer comments. We, at Custom-Fab value all of our customers. Our facility at Custom-Fab is always open for visits from prospective and long-time customers. We would also welcome you to visit as many local restaurants and other establishemts when visiting our factory. I know they would appreciate your business. I have been a member of this community for 68 years and know most of them. As for our trailers, we do build a working class trailer. That is what we pride ourselves on, building a strong, working trailer. If you look at our website (www.custom-fabtrailers.com) and read the "Reasons to buy Custom-Fab", you will see how they are constructed to be strong. As all of the trailer companies in this country do, we look for ways to save money in construction costs, but never at the expense of structural integrity. As far as the wrong spare tire size is concerned, my men may have made a mistake, but if we are made aware of the mistake, we would immediately rectify the problem. This is a small inconvenience and is the first time I have heard this in 20 years of building trailers. Custom-Fab trailers carry a 6 year warranty and we do honor the warranty in every instance. As far as the welding is concerned, Custom-Fab trailers are an all welded construction. This leaves us open for criticism on welds, but we chose this route instead of riveting or bolts because it gives the trailers strength and it stands up over long periods of time and heavy use. We have many customers, being in business for over 20 years, who are now on their second and third Custom-Fab. We may not be the perfect trailer or the perfect company, but we are always looking for ways to improve. Our main goals is always to please our customers and that is all any company can do. In today's business climate it is harder than ever. If anyone has a suggestion or a complaint, they should contact me by mail or telephone and I will address the problem directly. I have many customers in Northern VA and Maryland. I would be happy to supply names and phone numbers if requested. I also have a dealer in Lanham, MD and in Keymar,  MD and would be happy to supply names and phone numbers if requested.      
slantedhorse
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-08-11 6:59 AM (#89459 - in reply to #89033)

To jaltmeyer1: I see that Custom-fab trailers carry a 6 year warranty. The trailer I am considering buying is a 2004. Is the warranty transferable?
rwostrander
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-25 11:48 PM (#92132 - in reply to #89459)

New User

We purchased a 1999 3H slant load Custom-Fab trailer (with large living quarters shell) in 2002, and have absolutely no regrets. The trailer is very durable, and definitely was designed with common sense and ease in mind. And, it is extremely smooth to haul. Favorite amenities include the mangers, storage compartments beneath the mangers, escape door in the first stall, loading ramp, padding on floors, walls, and dividers, and excellent ventilation throughout. We store all our gear in the empty shell and are always ready to pull out for a weekend of camping and riding, rain or shine. Lots of wonderful family memories. Thank you, Custom-Fab. We will definitely look to them for another trailer in the future. (May be looking to down-size to a two-horse bumper pull soon! Need to sell gooseneck first)
rwostrander
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-26 12:11 AM (#92133 - in reply to #89033)

New User

Did you decide to purchase the custom fab you were referencing?
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-09-26 10:15 AM (#92141 - in reply to #89033)

Elite Veteran

Gard, I hear you!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-09-26 11:33 AM (#92146 - in reply to #92141)

Expert

Originally written by walkin on 2008-09-26 11:15 AM

Gard, I hear you!!

?????????????

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version