'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sevin Dust

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-20 8:57 PM
5 replies, 15045 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 4:40 PM (#90056)
Subject: Sevin Dust

Veteran

Has anyone else heard that sevin dust is harmful to horses?  I recently went camping, and these awful little bugs that the locals called "turkey mites" were driving the horses nuts.  A fellow camper sprinkled sevin dust on the ground by where her horse was picketed and no more bug bothers.  She said that sevin was now considered to be unsafe to use ON horses, but she figured that it would be ok on the ground around them.  I just thought that might be something nice to keep around in the tack room, but if it is now bad for horses I don't want to use it....I just don't see why it would be any worse than a fly spray chemical or wormer chemical.  What all does it kill and repel besides lice and "turkey mites"?

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-08-20 4:52 PM (#90057 - in reply to #90056)
Subject: RE: Sevin Dust

Veteran

element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-08-20 4:54 PM (#90058 - in reply to #90056)

Veteran

If you google Turkey Mites. It says that these 6 to 8 legged creatures are from a Lone Star Tick. Where you in KY camping? Not sure if Sein Dust would repel them but it would be worth a try as Sevin Dust will work on dogs, cats. ???Good Luck
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 5:23 PM (#90061 - in reply to #90056)

Extreme Veteran

I use it around my LQ trailer while it is parked.  I sprinkle it all around the trailer, ramp and especially around the power cords area.  Ants seem to know that they can crawl up the power cord and get inside but if you put it around your trailer it keep them out.  I have also used it around my barn, but have not used it in areas where the horses may graze.  Also don't put it in my hay area.  I think it would be OK to use around your campsite perimeter, but I don't know if I would use it area where your horse may accidentally ingest. 
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-20 6:41 PM (#90071 - in reply to #90056)

Expert

I did a google search on the subject and can across this-

http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/4/20017.html

The last post is from a vet....sevin is safe to use on horses.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-20 8:57 PM (#90083 - in reply to #90056)

Veteran

Ohhhh, I feel for ya.  We encountered them last year near Quincy IL.  They were HORRIBLE!!!  The locals told us to use the sevin dust too, and make sure to worm with ivermectin.  My poor sorrel horse was a mess, from all the itching, he developed a fungus and we treated him until November (got it in August).  The vet kept shaving the foot and using antibotic.  A friend's horse had the same thing, and his vet ran a scab under the scope and discovered it was a fungus.  A little benzol shampoo, and voila!  I am a huge believer in Listerine, it can kill fungus too. 

I hope you didn't get the mites too, I still have scars on my legs.  People think your nuts when you tell them, but it's real, their nasty!!!  It's kept us from going back to Siloam Springs this year. 

Good Luck!  I'd ask my vet about the sevin dust, they usually know best.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)