'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Traveling at Night

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-20 9:55 PM
4 replies, 3209 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 11:24 AM (#90030)
Subject: Traveling at Night

Extreme Veteran

What's ya'lls thoughts on trailering horses at night?  Is it easier on the horses?  Sure is a lot less traffic on the roads.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 11:50 AM (#90034 - in reply to #90030)
Subject: RE: Traveling at Night

May be easier on horses and your tow rig durring summer month's but, harder on you! If your normal sleep habits are to sleep in the day and work all night you won't have any problems. If you like to sleep at night, your sleep cycle can get screwed up and you could fall asleep going down the road.

You also have to consider the possibility of break downs. Tire shops are not open at night and I'm sure a wrecker wouldn't mind comming out to get your rig at 3 am for double the price when your cam shaft position sensor fails. As you can tell I like to run at night and have experienced these problems. 

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 11:58 AM (#90035 - in reply to #90030)

Extreme Veteran

Does it mess up your horses schedule?
traumajunkie
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 2:07 PM (#90045 - in reply to #90030)

I'm sure it would effect them to an extent. There are all kinds of factors to add up and consider. Some things on that list would be, how far are you traveling and will they be able to rest a full day upon arrival or will you need them first thing? A 200 mile trip that can be done in 4-5 hours (thats a little on the slow side) and still give the horse and yourself time to rest before performing can easily be done. But, on the extreme side, you dont want to leave the house Friday night at 6pm, drive 500 miles and expect your horse to perform well at 10am the following morning. Consider them to be like you. If you need 5 hours rest after travel and before performing then they probably do to. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-20 9:55 PM (#90088 - in reply to #90030)

Extreme Veteran

You're right, there is a lot less traffic, but I am a rubbernecker.  I like to see the country I am driving through!  I also don't like to come up on unexpected curves without having enough time to slow down for the horses.  My husband was a truck driver for many years and he always preferred to drive at night.  I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Marla

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)