'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cleaning Polished/painted aluminum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-20 1:19 PM
14 replies, 28693 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-07-28 8:58 PM (#88449)
Subject: Cleaning Polished/painted aluminum

Veteran

Hey all- my 'new' trailer is now 2 years old and needs a good cleaning.  It has the polished aluminum on the bottom half and front and painted aluminum on top half and back- it is a Logan Coach XTR if anyone is familiar.  Sundowner makes a similarly put together trailer with the polished/corrugated on the bottom half and painted on the top half.

Question is- has anyone found products specific to these materials they feel do the best job other than regular car wash products (which are all made for painted steel and chrome)?  I don't know if the polished aluminum needs to be 'acid washed'?  Am not seeing the powdery residue but still looks like it could use a good shine!  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-28 9:04 PM (#88451 - in reply to #88449)
Subject: RE: Cleaning Polished/painted aluminum

Expert

I have found through a lot of trailer cleaning,and detailing my own vehicles that for trailers,Streakmaster Aluminum Wash for the bright parts,and Black Streak Remover for the white skin areas that may have driplines from the roof is the best I've ever found.They make several products,the Wash & Protect is really good for the white skin (painted) aluminum and the bright too,for protection and shine.No,I don't work for Streakmaster but promote it because it does work WELL.www.streakmaster.com I believe.
element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 9:36 PM (#88456 - in reply to #88449)

Veteran

I agree, I have used EVERYTHING and until I used Streakmaster it really was a waste of time and money. I highly recommend these products
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-07-29 10:09 AM (#88484 - in reply to #88449)

Elite Veteran

Does that work for the black skinned also or is there another of their products for that?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-29 1:15 PM (#88509 - in reply to #88484)

Expert

They make other products,maybe the Wash and Protect,give them a call and the guy that owns the company is really good to help and give advice on what he sells.
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-11 1:55 PM (#89489 - in reply to #88449)

Veteran

I emailed them about their product, but they don't ship to Canada, so I'm out of luck.  Anyone know a good product I can buy here?  I've got a Kiefer with painted aluminum and extruded aluminum panels.
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-08-12 8:36 AM (#89547 - in reply to #88449)

I live in Canada and had Streakmaster shipped to me (the shipping wasn't cheap but it was well worth it) I think i got the name of the company off a thread here. Maybe search the threads on Trailer cleaning and i'll go have a look and see if my bottle has a sticker on it.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-08-12 3:52 PM (#89579 - in reply to #88449)

Veteran

If you have Black skin "DO Not" use an RV brush to clean it with, use a soft cloth. Experience... We really messed up our first back trailer with a brush.

Also if the alum is bright (polished) be careful of some cleaners, it can spot, streak, or stain the polished surface and will not come off. I worked at a dealership at one time and saw the damage some cleaners can do. Read the manual or call the manufacturer of the trailer and ask what they recommend to clean the polished surface. Black streak remover is great on the painted skin but don't let it stay on the polished surface to long.

Good Luck

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-08-12 4:12 PM (#89581 - in reply to #89579)

Veteran

Thanks for all of the input!  I ordered the streakmaster- question is- how do you tell if it is "polished" aluminum or simply corrugated?  My Logan XTR has looks 'polished'- how would I clean that- just the Ultraguard?  The brochure calls it "corrugated aluminum"  There is also a very shiny alum. trim on the nose from top to bottom with the diamond plate gravel guard- is that "polished"? 

Thanks All!!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-08-12 10:12 PM (#89608 - in reply to #88449)

Expert

The nose is stainless steel not aluminum.

Let me know how the stuff works, I've got the same trailer

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-08-12 10:13 PM
Haflingers4Me
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-08-12 11:26 PM (#89621 - in reply to #89581)

Hi Rider3,

The polished aluminum should look shiny, like a "mirror finish" if I'm not mistaken. Natural aluminum will look definately duller. The nose wrap may be stainless steel, if it is, I use reg car wash on mine and wipe with Windex when it's dry.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-08-15 2:54 PM (#89780 - in reply to #89581)

Expert

Streakmaster's  aluminum wash product will NOT harm your aluminum,whether it is extruded or polished.I have used it on both of my trailers,a 1995 Sooner that is all aluminum,and the extruded sides of a 2006 Exiss.Just follow the directions,and,you can always call for any questions.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-08-19 10:06 AM (#89973 - in reply to #89780)

Veteran

I have used the product I received- the Alum Brightener- and it worked well on the non-polished fenders.  I did not use it on the polished as it says in bold letters that it will dull polished surfaces.  Are you saying it didn't dull yours?  I need to call the guy and ask about that.  Maybe I bought the wrong product.  The polished areas have little 'spots' everywhere- looks fine from a distance but not what it was when I purchased it.   Thank you for your input!!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-19 10:48 AM (#89975 - in reply to #88449)

Expert

One of the reasons aluminum lasts in poor environments, is the natural process of oxidation. When aluminum is exposed to oxygen, a very thin layer of oxidation appears on the surface. This seals and protects the surface from the elements.

When aluminum is polished smooth, it will appear shiny, until once again the oxidation occurs. While the metal is still physically smooth, it will appear dull. The "brighteners" are a means to remove this protective layer of oxidation, exposing the bare metal.

The only way to maintain a bright appearance after the polishing, is to isolate the surface from oxygen. This can be done with chemicals which are not long lasting, depending on their physical make up and exposure to the elements. The other is to physically cover the aluminum with a clear protective coating. The materials used in this process are proprietary by the various manufacturers, and seem to be a guarded secret. One material is the usage of an automotive clear coating, the type used in two step paints.

Some of these protective coatings can be damaged by the application of acid washes and harsh chemicals. You should consult with both the trailer and the cleaner manufacturers, to determine if these products are compatible.

If you have a brightly polished trailer from the manufacturer, there's a good chance it may have this coating.

Gard 

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-08-20 1:19 PM (#90042 - in reply to #89975)

Veteran

Very enlightening information.  I did call the trailer manuf. and found that the side panels are defin. polished.  He recommended the was from Zip or "Mothers" brands.  I could also just use the streakmaster and 'strip' the polished look to have it become more of an extruded alltogether.  Think I'll try the wax first.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)