'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
finance company interest rates

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-21 5:18 PM
22 replies, 22117 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

eatwheat
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-18 9:57 AM (#79788)
Subject: finance company interest rates

I have a 800+ credit rating and am looking at a new $30000 trailer.  The finance company has offered me a 8% loan for up to 144 months. 

Are there better rates out there and how can I find one?

Do you generally have to use the financing company the trailer dealership uses?

If I decided to buy a new $10000 trailer could I get a better interest rate or does the amount one is borrowing have anything to do with the loan interest rate at all? 

How does the current economy affect finance company interest rates?

A financial wizard I am not.

Thanks for your expertice!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 10:05 AM (#79789 - in reply to #79788)
Subject: RE: finance company interest rates

Veteran

8% is a good rate on a trailer however if you can get a better rate from your local bank then you could go that route, but most banks won't go 144 mos on a trailer. As far as borrowing less money usually the higher the amount you finance the lower the rate is, but with a credit score like that its not going to matter how much you are borrowing they are going to give you their prime rate. But 8% is a great rate and will be hard to beat at 144 mos.
FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-18 10:11 AM (#79791 - in reply to #79788)

Try Bank Of America...My trailer was about the same price, financed for the same amount of time and Im pretty sure I have a better interest rate then that!
eatwheat
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-18 10:11 AM (#79792 - in reply to #79788)

The doggone bank will only go out three years and these monthly payments would be too high for me.  Perhaps I should join the local credit union and see what they offer their members.
eatwheat
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-18 10:13 AM (#79793 - in reply to #79788)

Is Bank of America a bank or a finance company? Thanks!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-18 10:55 AM (#79796 - in reply to #79793)

Expert

They are a bank that primarily makes loans such as auto and mortgage.Banks are funny about loaning money on something like a horse trailer or RV for this length of time as dixie has said.

In this credit crunch that is going on,8% is a good rate.If you can do better elsewhere,go for it of course,but,you're going to be looking for a while,I believe.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 11:06 AM (#79797 - in reply to #79788)

Elite Veteran

Do you need to go out for 12 years? Do you have much of a down payment? My theory is to pay more down and try to make as big of payments as possible, even pay extra when I can to reduce the principle. Financing for that long, you may find that if you ever want to trade or need to replace the trailer that the principle owed is greater than the value of the trailer. The Fed is looking at reducing prime again today.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 11:47 AM (#79798 - in reply to #79788)

Veteran

When I bought my trailer, I needed $5500...I called several banks and could not get a loan lower than around 12%.  My credit score is in the high 700's.  So I actually called my credit card companies and got a rate of 5% and I have as long as I need to pay it off.  A little unorthodox but it worked for me.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 12:28 PM (#79801 - in reply to #79788)

Veteran

8% seems very good!

We got a 4h slant BP last summer $12.6K financed at 9% for 144months(credit score in the mid 700s). However, we went with 12 years just because we wanted a low payment in case of cash flow problems. We are actually paying more than double the minimum payments so that the financing at the end will only cost us a 14% premium (around 3 years to pay it off since inception) rather than the almost 70% that it would cost to go with the normal payment.

Try looking into CC as well, you might be able to sign up for a few with 0% for 12 months or so and maybe 7.99% afterwards and you might get cash back and other perks.

As other said, try to either put a lot down or overpay the monthly payments, but make sure that the loan is "simple interest" and there are no pre-payment penalties

eatwheat
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-18 12:46 PM (#79802 - in reply to #79797)

Genebob,

If or when the Feds reduce the prime, how does that affect interest rates on trailers and the like? 

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-18 12:50 PM (#79805 - in reply to #79788)

Elite Veteran

Check out first internet bank of Indiana. http://www.firstib.com/.

Edited by ponytammy 2008-03-18 12:52 PM
FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-18 2:19 PM (#79814 - in reply to #79793)

Originally written by eatwheat on 2008-03-18 10:13 AM

Is Bank of America a bank or a finance company? Thanks!

Bank of America is a regular bank. When we bought our trailer that was one of the trailer companies banks that they used for financing. I did and still do not bank with them for savings / checking etc. I thought they were a "nation wide" bank, but I guess I was wrong. Good Luck!!!!

NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-18 4:47 PM (#79831 - in reply to #79788)

It's ironic that I saw this thread today, this was the topic of our Monday Morning Meeting. The feds have lowered the rate 1 1/4% since January, and have lowered it anther 3/4% today (I believe) Yet you don't see our lenders lowering rates, one just raised it by 1/2% two weeks ago.

Retail financing is one area that we need immediate help with. The federal reserve continues to lower interest rates, yet we continue to see lenders drop out of trailer financing, and the ones that remain don’t have programs that are needed to jump start sales. This has an affect on everyone. Manufacturers, vendors, and especially dealers. Americans will buy what they can finance, and if we can’t get better programs sales, we will continue to suffer. Ask yourself this question, in some states a trailer with a living quarters is registered as an RV, yet our lenders continue to classify LQ’s as trailers, and in some cases charge an interest rate that is a full 1% higher than an RV. Why is this? Is this because the customer is more of a credit risk? No, the lenders use a credit score to judge this. Is it because the chance of default is greater? No, because I have asked lenders, and have been told that LQ trailers are a very low percentage of defaults. Is this because we don’t have a comprehensive way to value trailers as collateral? Yes, and NATDA is working on that. The only reason that I can surmise is we aren’t an organized industry, and we don’t have a collected voice to fight for these better programs. NATDA is that voice. This is a cause that I ask each of you to think about, and get on board with. If we can go to the lenders as an organized industry we can get the programs that we need. This alone is reason enough to join. As NATDA continues to charge ahead, look at what we have accomplished in just one year.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-19 8:49 AM (#79872 - in reply to #79788)

Veteran

We bought 2 horsetrailer in IN and used First Internet Bank on IN also.Had never heard of them and we dont live in IN but rate was great etc.We took outa 5 year on 2 Horse bp cause rate was much better and NO early pay off penalies etc.Was best interest  rates around.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 9:04 AM (#79876 - in reply to #79788)

Elite Veteran

NATDA is right. Lenders have no way to know the value of trailers, especially LQ's. As we all see in the ads on this site, price is really only determined by what two party's are willing to agree on. The home mortgage problem started with lenders giving loans to people that in most cases really couldn't afford them. I know of one couple that borrowed for a house with their payment at around 50% of their gross monthly income. My mother was the president of a bank and always told me she would never lend more for a home loan so that payments were never more than 25% of their net income. Now you can borrow money with interest only payments for 5 years. Makes it much easier to walk away and let the mortgage company have it back.The prime rate is what the feds loan money to banks for. As the fed raises or lowers their rates, it is up to individual lenders to decide whether or not to pass it on to their customers. Hence it behooves you to really shop your interest rates.
ARCFINANCE
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 10:04 AM (#79887 - in reply to #79876)

I can honestly say that much of the information provided in this forum is truly accurate.  Unfortunately, the equine finance industry has not seen the direct effects of the fed cutting rates.  We hope that we will begin to see these changes, but we have not as of yet.  The RV rates have just started the decline and hopes are that the equine rates are to follow.  The problem with these types units is that the lenders do not understand the product or the industry.  The majority of lenders view these items as "luxury" or "pleasure" when in reality to many, they are a neccesity.  That is partly why interest rates are higher than others.  You may have luck going to a credit union or local lender, but as indicated, you won't get the term you may need to make the payment fit your budget.  I don't believe that 8% is a terrible rate.  Some of the things you may be able to do to lower the rate are: (1)Put money down -- In some cases, 10-15% down will make you eligible for better interest rates. (2)Go a shorter term -- I know payment is a concern, but sometimes shortening your term to only 120 months versus the 144 will make your loan fit programs that offer lower rates.  Please give us a call should you have any additional questions about financing or to see if we can help you get the best rate and term possible for your horse trailer. 

ARCFINANCE
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 12:29 PM (#79902 - in reply to #79887)

All Roads Capital

1-800-619-4104

scoop
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 1:07 PM (#79905 - in reply to #79788)

The Fed lowers the Overnight lending rate between banks.  Typically the banks then lower their Prime rate - which is variable.  When financing a horse trailer, most purchasers are looking for a fixed rate loan for a longer term (5 years, 10 years, 15 years) so the actions of the fed do not equate to a one-for-one lowering of the rates you are looking for.

The slope of the yield curve - in this case probably Treasuries - are responsible for the higher longer term rates.  Add to that widening credit spreads due to home loan fiascos and rates will not be lowering as quickly.

Furthermore, as others have mentioned, trailers are difficult to value.  Two of my local credit unions will not consider financing a horse trailer without living quarters at any rate.  Fortunately, the other credit union we also frequent will.  Shopping around is a good first step.

But keep in mind no financial institution is going to make a loan at a rate that doesn't compensate them for the risk they are taking on their balance sheet.  And while your individual loan might not amount to many dollars - the portfolio of these loans may.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-03-19 1:42 PM (#79907 - in reply to #79788)

Expert

Most people I talk with are doing home equity loans on these trailers, I'm hearing they are still in the 6-7% range. I deal with finance companys through my real job, and they are at 7.6% right now for anything over $10K, but we are talking corporations and heavy equipment.
landsalmon2
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 2:05 PM (#79908 - in reply to #79788)

I also have a FICO of 800+ and I financed my Exiss LQ trailer through On Point federal credit union for 120 months at 7.99% This was the best rate I could find. If I wanted longer terms (144 mo) the rate went up. On point will only finance 80% of the purchase and the trailer has to be fully self contained, and no older than 10years old. Newer trailers are 7.49% We financed $21,500.00 , our payment is around $260.00 a month.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-19 7:40 PM (#79931 - in reply to #79788)

Veteran

When we bought our used lq trailer last year, we had arranged financing with our local bank which is US Bank while we were trailer shopping at eight and half percent. Well, decided to go ahead and fill out the credit app at the dealer to see if we could get a better rate. The bank that the dealer uses came back with a rate and we told them we already had financing cheaper, well they came back with a cheaper rate than the bank. We called our local bank to see if they would match it and they did. Sure was nice to get it lowered. Ended up with seven and half percent at 144 months and this was a used trailer. We wanted low payments so we pay more each month when we had extra. It pays to shop around. Call your local bank and others to see what they may have to offer that way you may have some leverage to get it lower. We financed our first trailer with National City but they no longer finance trailers.
Rockin'TK
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-19 10:26 PM (#79940 - in reply to #79788)

ALL ROADS CAPITAL!  Talk to Shannon S., she was a ton of help!

2007 TRAILS WEST 8X13 AMT SLIDE OUT 4 HORSE, HARD LOADED WITH DROPS ALL AROUND, GENERATOR and ALL OPTIONS! (60-K)

hitchinposttrailer
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-21 5:18 PM (#80077 - in reply to #79788)

New User

The % rate does depend on credit score AND amount financed many times. We suggest calling your local credit union/bank and see what their rates are, but again, they wont go as long as a larger financing company.  8% for 144mos is really pretty good..   We are a dealership and offer use of one company, but always suggest to our customers to check w/ their local bank as well.

On another note, here is something else to think about:

Make sure whoever you choose, they do NOT have a prepayment penalty, that way, if you do find a better rate down the road you can refi the loan without a penalty.. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)