'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New EHV outbreak in MD / VA ...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-10-05 11:11 AM
9 replies, 7254 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 8:30 PM (#56023)
Subject: New EHV outbreak in MD / VA ...

State-Imposed Quarantine Implemented at Equine Medical Center Due to Suspected Cases of Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1)

LEESBURG, Va., February 20, 2007 - State officials have imposed a quarantine of the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center's facilities effective immediately due to the suspected infection of the neurologic form of equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) in three hospitalized horses. No additional patients will be admitted to the hospital until further notice. Clients who may have questions or concerns regarding their horse should call the hospital's main telephone line at (703) 771-6800. Hospital officials expect the quarantine to last anywhere from 14 to 28 days.

EHV-1, one of several strains of the equine herpesvirus, is a highly contagious disease that, although not transmissible to humans, can cause respiratory signs, abortion, peri-natal infection, encephalitis, and other complications in horses. It is spread from infected horses, which shed the virus through nasal fluids and bodily secretions, by both aerosol transmission and by direct contact with horses affected with the virus. Symptoms include fever, coughing, nasal discharge, loss of balance, urinary retention and recumbency.

"Based on the clinical signs and one positive test from the first horse with neurologic signs, we are treating this as an infection with EHV-1. We are taking extraordinary precautions and following the most stringent procedures possible in order to protect the horses in our care as well as the general equine population," said Dr. Nat White, Jean Ellen Shehan Professor and Director of the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center. "The health and safety of our patients is our first priority."

According to White, a horse that was brought to the hospital on Wednesday, February 7, to be treated for an unrelated emergency subsequently developed a fever and signs of nervous disease. The horse was immediately isolated in the hospital's Biosafety Level 2 isolation unit. Initial PCR testing revealed that the horse was positive for the EHV-1 virus. "Though this test can have false positive results, we are treating this as a true infection," said White.

In addition, hospital officials elected to impose a voluntary quarantine of patients in the area of the hospital where a risk of exposure was possible. These horses were promptly separated from the rest of the hospital's equine population in designated isolation barns.

As of the morning of Tuesday, February 20, two additional horses being treated at the center for unrelated problems developed fever and neurological symptoms leading state officials to deem necessary an immediate quarantine of all hospital facilities.

"The center has always followed strict biosafety procedures governing patient care, movement in and out of the isolation unit, and cleaning of stalls between each horse occupancy in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases," said Dr. Martin Furr, Adelaide C. Riggs Chair in Equine Medicine at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center. "However, this quarantine, which is the first that we've had since the center was opened in 1984, has been implemented to ensure that there is no chance of spreading the virus."

EHV-1 is a reportable disease and the state veterinarians of Virginia and Maryland were notified on Monday, February 19. The mandate to quarantine the facilities was issued by Virginia State Veterinarian's Office on the afternoon of Tuesday, February 20. Referring veterinarians and owners of all horses that may have been exposed to the disease have also been informed.

"I would like to emphasize that though these are not confirmed cases of EHV-1 by virus isolation or serology, we are implementing appropriate measures to prevent the spread of any contagions," said White. "We are taking this situation very seriously and will do whatever is necessary to safeguard the well-being of our patients."

Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center is a Leesburg-based full-service equine hospital that is owned by Virginia Tech and operated as one of three campuses that comprise the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.

and:

February 20, 2007, 5pm

The Maryland Department of Agriculture is conducting a neurologic equine herpes virus -1 (EHV-1) investigation in six locations in Maryland (five horses currently located in Maryland). The investigation is warranted because these horses had possible indirect exposure to an EHV-1 test-positive horse being treated initially for colic at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA and were discharged before the horse in Leesburg showed signs of EHV-1. The “index” horse that originally went to Leesburg was from St. Mary's County, Maryland (our 6th location) and remains at Leesburg under treatment.

MDA veterinarians are going to the six Maryland locations this afternoon to put 7-day “investigational hold orders” on the farms to prevent any movement of horses onto or off of the farms until test results are back. If they can get samples tonight, they will; if not, they will go back and take samples tomorrow. MDA veterinarians will evaluate each on a case-by-case basis. MDA is acting on the side of extreme caution.

and:

February 21, 2007 - News Release from the Virginia Department of Agriculture

EQUINE HERPES VIRUS-1 REPORTED IN VIRGINIA; STATE VETERINARIAN QUARANTINING FARMS

Under the direction of State Veterinarian Richard Wilkes, veterinarians with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) are currently quarantining six farms in Northern Virginia with horses that could have come in contact with a horse infected with a neurological form of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV1). The Maryland Department of Agriculture is working with similarly-exposed animals in that state. The infected horse was treated at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, Virginia, which is also under quarantine.

Quarantines will restrict movement on and off the affected facilities. In addition, veterinarians are urging horse owners to observe strict hygiene control procedures, including a thorough cleaning and disinfecting routine using a proven disinfectant/cleaner, to avoid spreading the disease in the environment.

Equine rhinopneumonitis virus (EHV1 or equine abortion virus) is a highly infectious disease that usually affects the respiratory system. Occasionally, the virus may also cause neurological disease. Transmission likely occurs by inhaling infected droplets or ingesting material contaminated by nasal discharges or aborted fetuses. To date, there is no effective treatment for EHV1. Clinical symptoms include a fever of 101.5 or higher, or one or more degrees above the horse’s normal rectal temperature, difficulty urinating, depression, and stumbling or weakness in the hind limbs. Supportive therapy is often successful in treating these cases. In severe cases, horses will be unable to stand; these cases have a very poor prognosis.

EHV1 poses no known health threats to humans. The disease first appeared in the United States in 2001, and Virginia had its first case in 2002. Several types of vaccine are available and horse owners should work with their veterinarian to choose a vaccine and a vaccination schedule to protect their animals.

and:

February 21 - 6pm - News Release from the Maryland Department of Agriculture

Maryland Investigates Possible Equine Herpesvirus-1 Cases

ANNAPOLIS, MD – Feb. 21, 2007 – The Maryland Department of Agriculture is conducting a neurologic equine herpes virus -1 (EHV-1) investigation in eight locations in Maryland (seven horses currently located in Maryland). The investigation is warranted because these horses had possible indirect exposure to an EHV-1 test-positive horse being treated initially for colic at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA and were discharged before the horse in Leesburg showed signs of EHV-1. The “index” horse that originally went to Leesburg was from St. Mary's County, Maryland (our 8th location) and remains at Leesburg under treatment. No horses currently in Maryland have tested positive for EHV-1.

The Maryland Department of Agriculture has placed seven-day “Investigational Hold Orders” on all of the farms to prevent any movement of horses onto or off of the farms until the situation at each location is evaluated and any necessary test results are back. MDA veterinarians will evaluate each on a case-by-case basis. Samples were taken from horses today.

MDA is acting on the side of extreme caution and reminds Maryland horse owners that it is always prudent to practice on-farm biosecurity to prevent illness of any kind.

Additional information about equine herpesvirus-1 and biosecurity measures as well as updates on the current situation in Maryland and Virginia are posted at www.mda.state.md.us.

Is anyone in this area that has any further updates at all???

I was planning on taking my 3 year old filly down to the Culpepper, VA area on March 12th and leave her there til July for showing. Obviously that may now have to be changed ...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 11:17 PM (#56029 - in reply to #56023)
Subject: RE: New EHV outbreak in MD / VA ...

Expert

thank you for the update. I live in new york and the outbreak seems to have stop. we have not see any others in two months, the vet say all is well for now. I am wondering what will happen when the horse from florida come back?? please keep posting.
TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 6:17 AM (#56039 - in reply to #56023)

It DID stop in Florida, but now these MD and VA cases have only come to light 1 and 2 days ago, so it is very much an active "hot spot" there right now.

I will be calling the numbers in the articles to see what they can tell me. It scares me to death to even think of sending my filly down into that area and I will not do so if it hasnt been completely contained and no new cases reported

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 9:54 AM (#56053 - in reply to #56023)

Expert

My vet said that the area is quarantine so you proble could not send horse down the would get turned around and send home plu way take the change you could lose them?
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 6:32 PM (#56086 - in reply to #56023)

Expert

I just talked to my vet and he said that he got a call from cornell they told he and other vet to keep a look out for horse coming up from these area. Wow i thought we were over this thank you for your update.I heared of a lady upstate ny that lost her horse to this outbreak 
TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-24 10:34 AM (#56209 - in reply to #56023)

A fewther very active threads on this subject:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/outbreak-of-herpes-in-va-and-md-132462.html

and:

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100612

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-02-26 6:25 AM (#56302 - in reply to #56023)

Elite Veteran

It sure is a scarry thing to have floating around out there. I live in the county of one of the infected horses. For right now my critters are staying home and if I do ride it will be with people and horses I know pretty good.
andy123
Reg. Sep 2013
Posted 2013-09-12 7:07 AM (#154701 - in reply to #56023)

New User

i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
Color01
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2013-09-12 2:49 PM (#154710 - in reply to #154701)

Regular

Originally written by andy123 on 2013-09-12 8:07 AM

i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us

that news is from almost 7 years ago.

Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-05 11:11 AM (#155175 - in reply to #56023)

Veteran

While that is old news, the good news is there is now a vaccine. The bad news is it only last 60 days then it's time for a booster. $20.00 bucks a pop here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)