'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Polishing Aluminum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-08-08 10:19 AM
19 replies, 17846 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-04 6:10 PM (#53296)
Subject: Polishing Aluminum

Veteran

I believe I am in for a big job, and thought I would ask for advice.  The 2000 4 Star I purchased is very oxidized, and I am looking for information on the right way to polish and restore aluminum.  Thanks much, and safe riding.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-01-04 8:23 PM (#53305 - in reply to #53296)
Subject: RE: Polishing Aluminum

www.metalwax.com
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-05 2:55 PM (#53350 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

www.californiacustom.com this stuff is great,i use it on my semi's rim's fuel tanks etc. also on my horse trailer. if you have bad oxidation problems you might want to try the cleaner before the polish. i pick mine up at the local mack dealer, the wax products are great too.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 5:40 PM (#53364 - in reply to #53350)

Veteran

Thanks so much for your help!
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 6:07 PM (#53365 - in reply to #53296)

Extreme Veteran

I too have an all aluminum rig, I have been told it can be washed with a solution which restores the alum appearance, but not the bright buff of a polish. I'm not looking to get shine so much as get the minerals off. Suggestions???

Edited by siseley 2007-01-05 6:08 PM
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-05 6:18 PM (#53366 - in reply to #53365)

Extreme Veteran

It kind of depends what you are talking about. One is removing oxidation for which you use the acid wash the other is on the polished alum like on some trailers brought back to original shine. To this I would also like to see a good answer
spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-07 8:24 AM (#53443 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

be very careful using acid to clean the oxidation,this is an effective method but you can burn the metal very fast.the way i do it on our tankers is on a cool cloudy day and follow the directions.ps  there is not a procuct on the market that can restore a trailer to showroom quality,but with alot of blood,sweat and tears you can have somthing to be proud of . good luck!!!!
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-07 4:13 PM (#53465 - in reply to #53443)

Veteran

Thanks for the good advice.  I bought a small tub of "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish" and did a test spot.  That produce brought it up to just about like new, except where there are some seriously deep streaks from probably previous acid washing.  Now, that would be a job for a good buffing wheel, but would make me real proud of the final outcome.  I am hoping a carefully applied acid wash first will minimize the black stuff I have to remove before I get back to the shine.  I am carefully watching the advice in this column before I start.  This is a huge job, and makes a big difference to the value of my trailer.  Thanks. E
trax
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-07 6:03 PM (#53470 - in reply to #53296)

Hi  I'm going to sound like a Metal wax saleman and I'm not .  I have a 1994 four star.  I tried several acid washes and citrus washes.  Never being satisfied.  Then I got a sample of the floride based Metal Wax cleaner.  And was pleased with the ease of application and the results.

Then I bought the 5 gallon concentrate and cleaned my trailer.  That was 2 years ago and I am still approched by people about the finish on my traiiler.  You just need to follow the instructions that come with it.  Doing a section at a time.  Brushing it on .... hosing it off... just like they say.  Look at the pictures of the trailer on their web site.

Mine did shine but didn't look polished.  I prefer the Mother's aluminium polish over their metal wax.  I used their cleaner and polished some areas.  Fenders, tip down doors... etc

I couldnt keep from getting swirls with a buffer.  More work but better results by hand.  not too hard after it is clean.  Also, I didn't clean my roof and I should have done it.

My running boards were black from oxidation and sitting out in 100 degree South Dakota sun.  They came out shinny with the cleaner, not milky like I got with the acid wash.

I'm sure you will get other opinions but this was my experience and I have not seen a better looking older trailer.

spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-07 7:40 PM (#53473 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

mothers is a good product but like you said it's alot of work too,i'm not a salesman either but with polishing semi's at work and my toys at home my wife claims i'm an obsessed pain in the ???!!! expert on the subject,but as far as metal polish california custom purple is the best.also simple green works good on those black streaks.i hope all this helps and good luck again.

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-07 9:29 PM (#53483 - in reply to #53473)

Veteran

What helps is that folks like you don't mind sharing what you know.  I started this job with some web searching but all I got were sites for companies who want you to buy their product.  On this forum I think I get much more real information.  I have to remember to help out others on here when I can.  Thanks again, and wish me luck.

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-08 5:24 PM (#53532 - in reply to #53296)

Veteran

So far, for those of you following this poll, it seems you have the following choices to restore your aluminum trailer:

Cleaner - Soap based cleaner (easy on you and the surface) - such as Gordon's or flouride based cleaner (more caustic) such as Metal Wax.

Wax - Thin wax that removes easily or thick wax that also acts like a rubbing compound. The black I saw when applying Mother's (thich wax) is apparently always going to happen, as it is a reaction between the Mother's and the aluminum.  You can't wax it past that black stuff...it will be there every time you apply the wax.

I got good reviews for California Custom for their wax products. I got good reviews for Metal Wax for their cleaner.  The guy from Gordon's puts his money where his mouth is, and he offered a free sample!

I am reading that a buffing wheel can cause swirls even at low speeds with some waxes, so it may be you have to do this by hand if the product you use causes swirling.  I am also hearing that Metal Wax and some others won't bother your decals, but it sounds as if Metal Wax is serious stuff, so you do have to wonder if it causes more breakdown and oxidation later by opening the surface.  Just a thought with no science to back that up. 

Some of these products are VERY expensive, with material costs over $200 to do my 23' trailer.

This is a tough one. I welcome your continued comments.  I will post back when I decide how to proceed and let you all know how it goes so you can hopefully learn from my efforts. 

spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-08 5:51 PM (#53535 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

i'm not a polish dealer,but i know what works for me.first i know is your trailer all bare aluminum or painted aluminum skin.sorry i should of asked from the start.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-08 7:31 PM (#53540 - in reply to #53296)

Extreme Veteran

If you want a mirror finish that looks like Stainless Steel, after you take the dull finish leaving swirl marks, you will need to usa a Cyclo 5 dual head polisher to remove the swirl marks.

I started two years ago to find a way to make my 2001 4 Star trailer look better than new.  There is no easy way, and there is no inexpensive way. It will take about $500.00 and countless hours of hard work to get a mirror finish on your trailer.

I have found many sites where Airstream Travel Trailers have been restored to mirror finish. Here is one of them.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/Myrtle/polish1.html

spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-08 9:16 PM (#53553 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

we talked to a guy who polished airstream travel trailers and vintage aircraft about polishing our semi dump trailers and i was quoted 100 dollars a foot,at that price a little elbow grease don't sound that bad.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-08 9:26 PM (#53556 - in reply to #53535)

Veteran

Its all bare aluminum.  The bottom is an extruded aluminum that seems easier to clean and polish.  The top and doors are a flat aluminum that seems to require a lot more elbow grease.  But so far, my work has been confined to using Mothers and several rags and just a very small area of each surface.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 10:46 PM (#53568 - in reply to #53296)

Extreme Veteran

Yep!

Mine is a bare aluminum one also. It is a Classic, 3h,bumper pull called a westerner. Love the trailer, but the extremely hot climate, ( think Mojave desert!), and the d$%^m crows and birds, have left a film on the top and sides in places. I do pressure wash monthly, and that helps keep the deep oxidation down, but it still looks kind of grey insted of "aluminum". I don't use any soap, just water, but our water is soooo hard, it bounces!

Steve

spotted horse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-09 5:32 PM (#53612 - in reply to #53296)

Regular

I would go to a heavy duty truck parts dealer and buy a gallon of aluminum brightner make sure you say brighter,there are several kinds of acid cleaners and you want brightner,a gallon should cost about 10 bucks,i only clean my trailers with this stuff on cool cloudy days if it's a nice light drizzle that's a plus.this alone is alot of work if you take your time,follow directions and do it right but the results can be dramatic.ok,as far as polish goes i have never used metalwax and mothers has a nice finished product but way way way to much work to get it,as for doing a large surface by hand the #1 product for me is california custom purple.I see alot of people ignore there rigs i think it's a huge investment and makes me feel pretty good to pull into a horse show on a bright sunny morning with the truck and trailer shining.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-09 7:28 PM (#53624 - in reply to #53540)

Extreme Veteran

Big T that was a great link very informative about polishing and not just removing oxidation.
johnsnowkornar
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2019-08-08 10:19 AM (#172586 - in reply to #53556)

evallone - 2007-01-08 9:26 PM Its all bare aluminum.  The bottom is an extruded aluminum that seems easier to clean and polish.  The top and doors are a flat polish that seems to require a lot more elbow grease.  But so far, my work has been confined to using Mothers and several rags and just a very small area of each surface.

The all-around the top of the line aluminum polish, especially for those who collect cars and have a variety of wheel finishes cleaning and polish. Easily one of the best metal polish products on the market today.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)