'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dog training collar on one of my studs!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-09-11 11:19 PM
12 replies, 6690 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-22 8:49 PM (#48975)
Subject: Dog training collar on one of my studs!

Expert

One of my walking horse stallions is nasty with geldings,colts etc.His paddock is near a dirt lot I use at times for pregnant mares or catch lot for others waiting on vet or farrier.If its of the male gender studly at times will charge in his stall from his outside lot and bite the top boards/rake his teeth down them or bite the end posts.Sometimes over and over.Have used halt crib and it hardly fazes him.I get worried about all the wood he's taking him and it of course ruins the top board.He just shaves it and when he bites the post its with venom.Anyhow I was busy toaday and have a earing colt I'm working in the catch lot.Kept hearing studly hitting that board with his teeth.Over and over.I had enough.Went and got dogs trainging collar,same hay string and turned it on and put it on studly.It has a hand held control with levels of one through six.I waited.Sure enough he charges in hits the board with his teeth and I hit buttom 3.He shook his head and kinda acted like humm what was that.He did it again.I got serious.I hit button 6. He can do a Spanish walk! Took two hits on 6 just as he was gonna bite it and he stopped.Walked out side and got calm.We'll see tomorrow if it has a lasting affect or if I'll need to make him Spanish walk some more.Between him and the dog barking(both drive ME nuts) I may have to get another one!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-23 5:54 AM (#48985 - in reply to #48975)
Subject: RE: Dog training collar on one of my studs!

Elite Veteran

hounddog, that is too funny for words!!!!!!!

Keep me posted on how it's working for you and your sanity?

By the way, if button 6 is damaged, that means you are having way too much fun with it!!!!!

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-23 6:49 AM (#48988 - in reply to #48975)

Expert

Dog only takes button three as a rule.5 is TOO much for him.But studly took six.The Spanish walk with his ears pinned was a sight.I'm serious about the darn dog yapping and that stud hitting and raking the top board with his teeth driving me up a wall.Anytime I fool with with a horse ,dog would bark and bark and do back flips etc.Fixed his wagon.(actually he for the most part is calm now)Then I walk out on the deck and can hear darn stud hitting that board over and over.Wood shavings in a pile and in his feeder etc.Yesterday I had it with him.Rigged him up and couldn't wait to ZAP.Gonna out fit him shortly this morning.My other two studs in same paddock in the past LIKE the company near them and are pretty friendly abbout it.But not this one.If he can't eat it or make love to it he wants to do it real harm.He was such a sweet youngster.When he turned 3ish that went to hell in a handbag.Weanlings he's ok with but this is a yearling gelding and I guess thats his limint.

Edited by hounddog 2006-09-23 6:52 AM
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-23 4:34 PM (#49000 - in reply to #48988)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like he needs a little brain Surgery. Change his mind from a** to grass. There are way too many Studs. But I like your method.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 6:31 AM (#49273 - in reply to #48975)

Expert

Had a few more times of making him Spanish walk.Yesterday I caught him rushing in with open mouth and him stopping short of the board/corner and walking out calmy with this Its NOT fun anymore atitude.Collar asnd controller is hanging in HIS barn if needed. Someone needs to try a cribber with one.

Edited by hounddog 2006-09-28 6:33 AM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-29 6:25 AM (#49320 - in reply to #49273)

Elite Veteran

whoa hounddog, the collar thing is working for the stud to control unwanted aggression, but I wouldn't put the collar on a cribber.  Cribbing is usually associated with some type of neurosis or nervous disorder.  The only thing I think works for cribbers is to keep them so busy they forget about cribbing. Give them something to do and they won't crib. Just my opinion.

Same thing applies for stall walkers and horses that weave in their stalls. I hate to use this analogy, but it's oh so true. Anytime you are confining an animal you are causing it stress. I've walked too many prison corridors, mental institutions and psych wards on hospital floors not to recognize what happens when you confine an animal, even a human. Some humans do o.k. with being confined and it doesn't wig them out too much. Others...........well, you get the idea. Horses, humans, monkey's, birds you name it. Some do really well and some don't. The last thing I would do is put a shock collar on a "weaver" or a "cribber." Just my 2cents worth.

Happy trails.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-29 6:51 AM (#49323 - in reply to #48975)

Expert

Have a friend that got his cribber with a almost dead battery tazer gun.He can walk by his stall and if he's cribbing go ZZZZZZ and he stops NOW.Also stopped him from nibbling/biting on the ferrier etc. Worth a try.With this they can wear the collar and you can ZAP from another area.I got my stud once all the way from my house deck to his paddock.Like 600 feet.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-30 5:16 AM (#49418 - in reply to #49323)

Elite Veteran

hounddog, IMHO I'd be careful of who I was telling what when it comes to shock collars and tazzers.  Especially when they are being used on horses and especially on this website. Just my thoughts.

Edited by deranger 2006-09-30 5:18 AM
sinful1
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-30 5:42 AM (#49419 - in reply to #49323)

hounddog..   Where did you get your collar and how much.  I have a yearling stud that thinks he's right up there on the A-list.  He's not mean, but boy is he full of it. He likes to try and nibble on you, the farrier, the vet, etc. He's never bittin anyone yet, bubt I don't want to let him get that far. To him it's a game...see if you can hit him. But he's far to quick for that, so I stopped trying. He's smart to a war bridle, and doesn't push his luck with it. But I'm tired of Jerking on the lead rope. This sounds like it has his name all over it.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-30 9:51 AM (#49430 - in reply to #48975)

Expert

I get those SPORTMANS GUIDE CATALOGS with all the stuff from other countrys for sale and camping gear etc.Sometimes they have other things for sale.This one was a little less then $100 with the controller being the how much ZAP they get. Buttons one through six.WHY should I worry about WHO reads this.Chezz."WE" use a electric fence to control livestock,great apes,elephants and humans! My friend tried the almost dead battery tazer on his stud to keep his mouth off people.He never really bit but nippled a lot.The ZZZZ when he was caught cribbing(he IS a cribber)was just a bonus.It worked.This collar lets you be at distance and do the same thing but with more control. I even bought a extra orange dog collar at the feed store the other day and hook each collar togather so it fits the stud horse instead of using hay string to make it fit.

Edited by hounddog 2006-09-30 9:54 AM
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-09-30 6:16 PM (#49444 - in reply to #48975)

Regular

I know a lady who used a shock collar on an aggressive gelding that was turned out with a mare.  Sure broke that gelding from going after the mare in short order until she could move the gelding. Said that gelding turned into a pussy cat around the mare. 

As far as cribber's, don't buy one.  If you already have one, turn that horse out in a pasture or give them a job.  They're bored and entertaining themselves.   

chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-30 10:25 PM (#49455 - in reply to #48975)

Now see, I would geld an aggressive stallion like this. Why would you want to pass on a poor temperment?Re: cribbing--it's often a sign of ulcers or other pain, so before I went punishing a horse for trying to relieve its own pain, I might try to find out WHY the horse was cribbing.Just a thought.

Edited by chevalnoir 2006-09-30 10:26 PM
johnsnowkornar
Reg. Aug 2017
Posted 2018-09-11 11:19 PM (#171862 - in reply to #49320)

deranger - 2006-09-29 6:25 AM

whoa hounddog, the collar thing is working for the stud to control unwanted aggression, but I wouldn't put the collar on a cribber.  Cribbing is usually associated with some type of neurosis or nervous disorder.  The only thing I think works for cribbers is to keep them so busy they forget about cribbing. Give them something to do and they won't crib. Just my opinion.

Same thing applies for stall walkers and horses that weave in their stalls. I hate to use this analogy, but it's oh so true. Anytime you are confining an animal you are causing it stress. I've walked too many prison corridors, mental institutions and psych wards on hospital floors not to recognize what happens when you confine an animal, even a human. Some humans do o.k. with being confined and it doesn't wig them out too much. Others...........well, you get the idea. Horses, humans, monkey's, birds you name it. Some do really well and some don't. The last thing I would do is put a shock collar on a "weaver" or a "cribber." Just my 2cents worth.

Happy trails.

What is the best age of a dog to use this collar??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)