'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
coggins testing

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-05-13 6:26 PM
36 replies, 29702 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Yippee Ki Yo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-13 3:04 PM (#48469 - in reply to #48390)
Subject: RE: coggins testing

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-09-12 12:49 PM
I'll ask him in a couple of weeks how many positive coggins horses he has seen. He only works on horses so we'll see.

This could be ineresting since it sounds like he doesn't test all his horses in his practice.16

And for those that are wondering about the state lab and blood samples. Some vet offices are set up to run in house testing in their own lab with out sending out to a private/state lab, so that is how they possibly get a way with it. It just takes numbers.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-10-03 8:46 AM (#49545 - in reply to #47484)

Veteran

Twenty bucks here....takes about 3 days to get results back. All the trail rides we go to require the certificate.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-10-05 12:54 PM (#49632 - in reply to #48399)

Extreme Veteran

I've heard of one horse around my area that had come down with EIA. From what I understand if the horse(s) tests positive, the first time, they quarentine the horse(s) and run another test. If that one comes up positive, they run another. If that one comes up postive, then the horse(s) are either destryed or quarentined perminately. Most are destroyed as was this ne and 2 other that were around it that tesed positive on all 3 tests. Again this is what I have read from what the state published. All tests are handles by a stae certified lab and if the first test comes up positive, then the state ag dept gets involved. Ours are good for a year and run, from my vet about $32.00. If you go to a state park here in Tejas that has horse trails, the park rangers DO CHECK for coggins. Yeah for them. I've been to many of my wifes barrel events and they never check. Even some of my endurance rides never check but then I send a copy of my horses coggins when I pre-enter.
As far as not having blood drawn for the test, I find it highly unlikely that the coggins papers you have are legal, if that is the case. And in actuallality if your vet gets caught giving out falsified documents he could very much so lose his license, if not worse, but that's the chance he seems to be willing to take. As far as that goes, even though cases of EIA do not seem to be fairly common, they are out there and are contagious and do not have a cure. I will continue to get my horses tested because there are people like out there who seem to be willing to risk the health of others animals. You can do some good reading about the diesease they are testing for: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/equine/eia/

2Jakes
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-07 3:20 PM (#49742 - in reply to #47484)

New User

Add another "I've seen it" to the poll. My friend (who is a vet) and I used to ride some pasos that belonged to a rich guy who never rode. When we started riding, none of them had current tests (although, presumably, they came with negative papers when he bought them) so when we began riding them to a nearby park we figured they needed coggins tested. The FIRST one my friend pulled blood on, her FAVORITE horse, came back positive! He had never been sick, and there was no way of knowing how long he'd been positive. A horse vet friend of my friend told her she had pulled over 10,000 without a positive but that's neither here nor there.

The rest of the herd tested negative, were quarantined for 6 months, retested negative again and are still negative to this day. The positive horse went to live a happy long life at a ranch just for EIA horses. Incidentally, at this ranch they had a negative horse that lived with the carriers for over 20 years (in a high mosquito area!) and he NEVER got EIA. Go figure! 

But the bottom line is: it DOES happen! What is the big deal anyway? Its a once a year expense that is the LEAST of the expenses incurred by horse ownership. Be responsible for yourself and everyone else--get the test run legally!!

Just my 2 cents.

Lisa

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-08 10:03 AM (#49759 - in reply to #47484)

Veteran

I would still like to know how the vet in Kentucky (a few messages back) does a coggins without drawing blood. 
shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-11 8:22 AM (#49889 - in reply to #49759)

Regular

I'd like to know that also.  Our horses are in KY and need blood drawn for coggins just like everywhere else.  What is the vet's name, does anyone know?
cat_nap_2
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 10:16 AM (#51091 - in reply to #47484)

may be this Vet. does not think he has to do coggins, so therefor he falsifies it, for I was told by my vet that the day you draw for coggins lets you know THAT DAY that your horse did not have coggins. He could still get coggins a week from the date you drew blood for coggins.  I don't know if that is true but that is what my vet says. I have no idea how long coggins stays in dormant before it becomes active. I guess it depends on the horse.   Some states like  Missouri requires a coggins every six month.  For safety reason????   More Money?????  I don't know. I do coggins on my horses because it is required by state law and to give buyers a peace of mind that the horse is healthy.   If what the vet told me is true is it worth getting the test done?  Is it more money for the Vets?  Is it a safety measure for the horse itself and a peace of mind for us? Or do we just do it because?
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-10 4:34 PM (#51349 - in reply to #47484)

Extreme Veteran

People with healthy horses don't have a problem with paying for Coggins testing because they want to keep them healthy. I have no problem paying for the tests. Where I DO have a problem is that NO ONE ever truely checks the Coggins papers. The few times when I've been asked for the papers, nobody compared them to the horses in my trailer.

What good is that?

One time the woman who was checking the papers took a long time studying them. I asked why so long? She said that she was looking to see where it said 'positive' or 'negative'. I said that if it said 'positive', we sure wouldn't be here. By the way, she never even looked at our horses.

The one time that the papers were compared to the actual horses was when we stopped in South Dakota for the brand inspection. The brand inspector had us unload and he did compare the papers to the animals. We now have permanant brand inspection certificates that are really Proof of Ownership. That we keep in our truck with the coggins and health certificates.

By the way, we live in Missouri and the coggins is good for 12 months, not 6. WHoever told you 6 months was wrong.

Edited by Cloud9 2006-11-10 4:39 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-10 5:03 PM (#51352 - in reply to #51349)

Expert

In NY state parks are checking coggins papers before you unload. no papers there tell you to go home and the take down your plate number
Dixie270
Reg. Nov 2015
Posted 2015-11-11 7:41 PM (#165349 - in reply to #47484)

New User

I live in Morgantown Kentucky and need to get a coffins test done one my Horse anybody in Ky know a good vet ?
tirebiter
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2016-03-14 11:21 AM (#166428 - in reply to #47484)

Regular

Just my 2 cents, but at the local sale barn in Shipshewana, Indiana, they draw the blood for coggins testing AFTER the sale. Again, how does that really make any sense if it is so contagious?
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2016-05-13 6:26 PM (#167058 - in reply to #47484)

Expert

Yes, I have seen Positive EIA test horses, was contracted to haul them as a matter of fact, to their final destination. EIA testing works, would work very well if every equine was tested, rather than the same ones year after year avoiding testing. Any vet that gives an EIA test without a blood draw is in violation of Federal law, and any health certificate with such Accession EIA #'s on it is also completely illegal. This vet is doing you and his practice a grave disservice... and will lose his license when he gets caught.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)