'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Overnite with my horse

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-04 3:26 PM
33 replies, 12195 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 6:02 AM (#39273)
Subject: Overnite with my horse

Hi All!
I hope to be doing some weekend trail riding for the first time this year.  What do I do with my horse overnite???  I've heard some people tie them up to a tree or trailer.  I've heard others say this is not safe.  Some camp grounds have stalls for rent and I'd probably use these where available, but not every camp has them.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 7:25 AM (#39281 - in reply to #39273)
Subject: RE: Overnite with my horse

Expert

Brown County in IN. has tie lines, Mid-West (the best) has stalls, Most places you have to do what they say, some will let you tie them to a trailer. Most places frown on that because you tear up the grass.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 8:03 AM (#39285 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

I use a high line with a come along and tree savers.I put the horses in the WOODS or edge of it near the camp.High as you can get it and TIGHT with loops pre tied in it every so many inches.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 8:45 AM (#39291 - in reply to #39273)

Veteran

Some places will let you tie to the trailer, but most prefer if you use a high line. Get a long rope, stretch it (high) between 2 trees and make sure it's really tight! Then, you can tie your leadrope to the high line. Many people put loops in the lines too. We use horseshoes that my husband has welded bars to that make a great tie. Country Supply sells a highline kit that might be what you need.
I remember the first time I camped with my horse. We tied him to a 2 horse trailer and we slept in the back of the truck (it had a topper on it). I remember waking up in the morning with the feeling that someone was watching me, well when I sat up they were... it was my horse! He was standing at the back of the truck just staring at me! Funny memories now. Have fun, and good luck! Camping with horses and trail rides are a blast!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-22 11:53 AM (#39313 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

A poster on this board has great directions on high tying.  Look at his Prussic loop too !  Best solution and cheap !

Here's the site >> http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 12:16 AM (#39421 - in reply to #39313)

Extreme Veteran

One word of caution regarding corrals at campgrounds. I had my horse in a campground corral last summer, and had his hay bag fastened to the fence rail (10' long lodge pole pine). Late that night I went to check the horses before turning in could not believe what I saw. He had the hay bag over his head and twisted under his neck so tight that he was strangling, and about 6' of fence pole was still attached to the bag. I had to get in there and help him without getting killed in the process. It was a mess. I think he must have pushed his head down to get the flakes at the bottom of the bag, the fence pole broke off, he threw his head up, causing the 10' pole to swing around, snap in half and then twist around, tightening the hay bag around his neck. He also had numerous cuts and bruises from the end of the fence pole hitting him in the legs and worst of all, in the face. He fractured his cheek and had a bloody nose for about 5 days. The next day noticed that all the railings were in pretty bad shape. I really didn't realize that could happen and just assumed he'd be safe because he had never tried to push through or break out of a fence. Granted, I am sure this was a freak accident, but next time I'll toss his hay on the ground if there's no safe secure place to fasten a hay bag, and will thoroughly check all fences.

I have also camped tying to trees, hobbling and tying to a trailer. Any method works if your horse is okay with it I guess. Camping overnight with horses is a bunch of fun, and will give you lots of great memories. Have fun and be safe. *
milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-03-24 3:01 PM (#39460 - in reply to #39273)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  But now I need even more basic info.  Does the horse need to be able to move around at nite (if using a highline or hobbles) or lay down or eat/drink.  The highline sounds like a great idea, but those knots sure confuse me.  Is he just suppose to stand there all night?

Thanks!

sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 4:42 PM (#39466 - in reply to #39273)

Regular

There are some good articles on line so google horsecamping. Most horse magazines post articles about this time of year too.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-24 11:33 PM (#39483 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

If they do a Competitive Trail Ride go and observe how they camp.  http://www.natrc.org/

Here in the west they (NATRC) requires us to tie the horses to the trailer when ever we are not riding them during the CTR's. Other regions of county may not. But we do.  It quite a sight to pull into base camp and see 90-100 horses tied to trailers.

What I'm saying is a lot folks tie to trailers and have no problems with it.  Just be careful and make sure the lead rope is short enough the horse can't get a leg over it.  (Usually just long for the snap to barely reach the ground when it hangs straight down)  Make sure the horse can't get his leg caught ( between wheel wells or tires) and cover any sharp edges (license plate etc). Teach your horse to stand tied before your try leaving him all night.

I prefer a high line, But there are time when I can't.  Especially if I pull in late and it's too dark or I'm too tired. It's nice to know you have it as a option.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-03-26 10:53 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-25 12:18 AM (#39485 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

One of the worst night's sleep was with the horse tied to the trailer.  Every time the horse bumped the end of the lead rope, it shook the trailer, and me awake.

High tie is a good night's rest.   I tie the horse with just enough slack that he can lie down.  The high tie stretches down to keep the rope taut.  It keeps the horses from getting tangled or a leg over the rope.

Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-25 2:10 PM (#39504 - in reply to #39273)

I just logged on and read your post. We camp A lot!!! High tie is the best Your horse can rotate in a circle so be sure to your lead rope has a swivel snap so your rope does not get twisted. Also...after you have ridden 4-6 hours during the day, your horse will look forward standing in one spot overnite. Most horses sleep standing up and even those that want to lay down manage to do it. Just make sure you do not tie too long. They make a stretch type bungee lead that will stretch just enough when needed. Have fun!! Ruth
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 11:09 AM (#39535 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

Yes the first time or two that I tried to sleep with a horse tied to the trailer was miserable.  But after a couple trips the horses figure it out.  I also use a bungie vs a rope to tie to the trailer.  It Softens the tug from the horses moving during the night.  After Market products like the HiTie also work well for tying to the trailer.

I still prefer to High Line if possible. But some times it's just not.

Just where would you high line in this picture.

Sometimes enjoying the beauty of the South West requires that you tie to the trailer.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 12:57 PM (#39544 - in reply to #39535)

Expert

Looking at that picture reminded me of something I did for the buckets when I have to tie to the trailer.  I took a few of those flat backed bucket holders and mounted them under the tie rings (low on the supports) so I could secure the bucket and keep the horses from tipping it over.  I just painted it the same color as my trailer so It doesn't stand out.  I also used them inside the trailer so I could hang a water bucket for long trips.  My old mare still won't drink while traveling, but it gives her something to play with and if its hot my gelding will splash himself. 

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:26 PM (#39568 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

I had a friend who made Bill board signs and signs for the side of Semi's.  He would print them out on a 14 mill vinyl.  He mounted a C-rail on the top of my trailer and the vinyl slide into the C-rail I would  then pull the vinyl down and bungie it under the trailer.  The cat walk and fender would hold this vinyl out 6-8" from the trailer skin.

Then when I hung buckets or hay nets, they wouldn't mar the side of the trailer. At the end of the weekend the vinyl would be filthy with horse slobber but my trailer was clean. The space between the vinyl and aluminum skin even prevented the occassional pawing hoof to bounce off and prevented any scratches to the paint from a horse rubbing a halter against the trailer.

This way I could leave both water and feed in front of the horses when ever they were tied up and not worry about them destorying the trailer. It also covered all the marker lights that my horse likes to eat.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-03-26 10:29 PM
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 1:51 AM (#39575 - in reply to #39273)

Veteran

Milliecat,
Does your horse stand tied well? If it doesn't, work on that before you even leave the farm. Do you know where you are going to camp the most? If its Brown County, they have hitch rails. All the horses I've ever had done fine tied to them. Since you are just starting to camp you probaly will not be riding the hair off your horse so you don't need to worry about riding hard then just tying your horse up. Your horse will be able to move around enough. My mare I have now will lay down tied up to the hitch rail. Th hitch rails in BC are 3 tall posts with rail between them. I put my hay bag on one tall post and my water tub at the middle one and tie her in between. That way she can reach both and not pull hay down in her water. She moves around some too. Can tell you more at the Horse Fair. Look me up.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 1:51 AM (#39698 - in reply to #39273)

Veteran

Forgot this.... I would think twice about tying a horse up to the trailer that is not used to camping. To many places to get a leg cut on if they paw. Most horses are nervous in new situations and tying to the trailer just adds an element to that mix. Seasoned horses that have been hauled and tied in different situations would be different.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 7:34 AM (#39709 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

Regardless of the horses experience, you need to cover sharpe edges ( license plates etc) so they can not get cut. You also need to close or cover gaps where they could get their hoof or leg caught. Such as between tires or fenders.  I've seen all kinds of ways to do this. Duct taping the edge of the license plate, foam between the wheels or pieces of plywood cut to cover the wheel openings. On my trailer I just pulled the tarp over the side of the trailer. 

If you tie a horse to a trailer for 6-8 hours and he only has a 3 foot lead. He is going to investigate everything with in that 3 foot.

Horse_Chic
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-02-22 4:46 PM (#130607 - in reply to #39535)

New User

We just take the truck off the trailer and move it about 30-40 ft away. The high line goes from the top of the truck to the top of the trailer.
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-22 5:04 PM (#130608 - in reply to #39273)

Regular

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Highline-Picket-Corral-Kits/product...

I love the TrailMax swivels...Hi-Line is the way to go if you can. (I think) I prefer using it over stalls at campsites for several reasons. #1 Who has been in that stall before you #2 My horse is more obedient/relaxed/subdued on his hi-line vs. strange stall where new stimulus may make for un-welcomed behaviors or accidents #3 If permitted, I place my hi-line to where it is in site/earshot of my lq bedroom window...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-22 7:35 PM (#130612 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

WOW Somebody resurected a 5 year old thread.

Not much has changed from those original posts.

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-02-24 9:27 PM (#130758 - in reply to #130607)

Veteran

What do you tie the highline to on the top of truck and trailer?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-24 10:36 PM (#130765 - in reply to #39273)

Expert

Usually those who use the trailer for one or both ends of a high line,  Tie to the rings on the side and throw the rope over the top of the trailer.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-25 9:10 AM (#130777 - in reply to #39504)

Extreme Veteran

quote: "We camp A lot!!! High tie is the best"

Not necessarily true. Some horses can NOT be High lined. We've found high lining to be the WORST. The worst rope burns we've ever had, was from horses getting their hind leg over the high line. And it makes no difference high close you tie them to the high line, some horses can get their hind foot over the high line. And if you leave them longer, that's even worse.

And we are not alone, I've seen a lot of horses get hung up in high lines and get severe rope burns. I know some people have good luck with them, but a lot of others don't.

I use High lines as absolutely the last method. And if I use a High line they are tied with a small(1/8") cotton rope run thru a piece of smooth garden hose. This will normally break before they do damage.

We prefer corrals or electric fence corrals. If you use electric fence in the mountains make sure it is very visible, otherwise, you'll have wild critters running right thru it.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-02-28 6:54 PM (#130906 - in reply to #39273)

Extreme Veteran

I have found this site to have lots of interesting and innovative items. Check out the items in this link for a hight tie without trees. It's about 1/2 way down the page.  http://www.american-flex.com/hardware%20&%20rigging.htm
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-01 8:41 AM (#130925 - in reply to #130777)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2011-02-25 9:10 AM

quote: "We camp A lot!!! High tie is the best"

Not necessarily true. Some horses can NOT be High lined. We've found high lining to be the WORST. The worst rope burns we've ever had, was from horses getting their hind leg over the high line. And it makes no difference high close you tie them to the high line, some horses can get their hind foot over the high line. And if you leave them longer, that's even worse.

And we are not alone, I've seen a lot of horses get hung up in high lines and get severe rope burns. I know some people have good luck with them, but a lot of others don't.

I use High lines as absolutely the last method. And if I use a High line they are tied with a small(1/8") cotton rope run thru a piece of smooth garden hose. This will normally break before they do damage.

We prefer corrals or electric fence corrals. If you use electric fence in the mountains make sure it is very visible, otherwise, you'll have wild critters running right thru it.

Are you referring to "picket lines?" These are about chest height.

I think the highlines being referred to are about 7-9 ft. high...That would be the day when I see my horse get her hind leg that high..

Highlines properly tied(up high and tight) won't give enough to allow the amount of sag it would require to get a leg over it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)