'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
calming when seeing strange horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-19 8:51 AM
5 replies, 3845 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-17 7:04 PM (#29319)
Subject: calming when seeing strange horses

Regular

I trail ride almost daily with my horses buddy.  If we happen to be on the trail and see other horses my horse gets very nervous.  His head goes high, he feels shaky and in turn I get nervous, which I am sure does not help.  What can I do to stop this behavior around other horses.  I let him approach the horses and sniff them.  He whinies, stomps his foot and rears a little. Should I keep my distance or let him smell the other horses.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-08-17 7:36 PM (#29321 - in reply to #29319)
Subject: RE: calming when seeing strange horses

Expert

Your horse is losing focus- he is paying attention to the other horses and not to you. I'd try making him do something,side pass, leg yield, do some figure eights around a obsticle. When he starts to listen to you then stop and relax. If he starts up again, then once again do something. I'd avoid a "fight" as you'd probably end up losing.

You also might try doing some stuff in the arena to help get his attention- ask for collection, then extention,back to collection. Riding around asking for different gaits- trot-canter-trot, transions- all of this will get your horse focused on you. This way when you ask for his focus, he'll then be prepared to listen to you.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-17 7:44 PM (#29323 - in reply to #29319)

i would agree with farmbabe... also try to stay calm and let the other riders know that he's uneasy they may help by going another way, most people are pretty nice, you can also see what he does if you just ask him to walk right passed them, not stoping or anything, just keep his attention on you
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-18 12:44 PM (#29347 - in reply to #29319)

Expert

Don't allow your horse to sniff other horses or get close to them... it's too dangerous. When your horse sees another horse, let him stop, rub his withers/neck, EXHALE to relax and tell him what a good boy he is SO LONG AS HE behaves. 

If he doesn't - keep him busy - backing up is a good thing if there isn't enough room to do some circles or turns. Remember to relax and reward your horse when THEY relax (drop head a tiny bit, chewing / mouthing the bit, etc.).

If the trail is narrow, move off the trail BUT be sure your horse is FACING the trail. otherwise, pass "left-shoulder to left-shoulder". 

As others have said, the horse needs to listen to you.

dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-08-18 6:36 PM (#29364 - in reply to #29319)

Regular

Thanks for the input....We met up with a horse on the trail today and I did not let my horse smell or get very close.  I used the head cue and patted him letting him know everything was ok.  He did great.  My mistake was letting him get close and touch noses with the strange horses.  I also had him do circles until his head dropped and he behaved.  I have learned a lot from this message board and really appreciate others' opinions.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-19 8:51 AM (#29384 - in reply to #29319)

Expert

You've heard some great advice.  Your real problem is that your gelding is trying to act dominant.  He should ALWAYS see you as the top horse and what you say goes.

I'm going out on the limb by saying your horse is a gelding but this behavior in my experience is more common in geldings that haven't realized they are less of a man...so it's your job to remind him that the "jewels" were stolen!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)