'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailering yearling

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-17 7:38 PM
7 replies, 6334 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 10:21 AM (#28358)
Subject: trailering yearling

Regular

Looking for advice on how to best trailer a yearling POA.  She's never been tied before, and is "green" halter broke.  I have a two horse straight load BP.  The center divider is very easy to remove, and I have managers.  I want to make it a safe & positive experience for her.  Right now I'm leaning towards hauling her loose with the divider out.  Any suggestions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-21 1:16 PM (#28370 - in reply to #28358)
Subject: RE: trailering yearling

Expert

Loose, divider out, halter on with short, cotton rope attached so she's easy to catch, and pack the mangers securely with hay bales.
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-21 2:11 PM (#28376 - in reply to #28358)

Regular

Haybales - great!  I was wondering what to block the managers off with.

Thanks!

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-21 3:06 PM (#28383 - in reply to #28358)

Extreme Veteran

Yikes!  You have your work cut out for you. Hopefully you can work and spend a few days with the the filly before you trailer her.  At a minimum, get her comfortable with the halter, leading and tying.    When that is done, work on loading and unloading.  Then take some short trips.  Everything ideally, should be done gradually.  If she doesn't tie (meaning she doesn't pull back when she is spooked, and gives to pressure) yet, don't tie her in the trailer. I'd take the divider out and haul her loose.  It's very important that the first trailer ride is a good one for her. This takes preparation, planning and an investment of time.   

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-21 4:31 PM (#28393 - in reply to #28383)

Expert

You are right about trying to get her more ready for her first haul.  My advise was geared more for the "git 'r done" situation, i.e. bought the horse and have to get her home fast.  That's what I took the question as.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-21 5:25 PM (#28399 - in reply to #28358)

Extreme Veteran

Good luck getting her in the trailer to begin with. Maybe she will willingly hop right in. Is it possible to have her hauled in a stock trailer? Something more roomier for her? And something not so claustrophobic as a 2H bumper pull? But like others said, remove the center partition and don't tie her and I love the idea of the hay bales in mangers(so she doesn't try to hop in them). Once she's in, get a movin' and get her home and be prepared for some scrambling in the trailer in transit until she learns her balance. Drive safe, pack a first aid kit for her and some Ibuprofen for yourself.

Have fun!

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-24 10:27 AM (#28507 - in reply to #28358)

Expert

Warning!  I bought into a similar situation and he turned around and almost went out the back of my trailer.

Open stock, halter on, no lead, and close off any area above the rear doors if it's big enough for the head then they might try it...

Don't worry mine learned very fast about the ways of the world and became a beautiful loader/hauler in due time.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-08-17 7:38 PM (#29322 - in reply to #28358)

i had the same problem when my 8 day old baby got sick, she wan't halter broke or anything, i had somone stand behind her nd push her in wail i had a lead rope around her neck pulling her, i also walked an experienced horse in and out of the trailer a few times to show her it was ok. i would take out the devider nd leave her untied, i also like the hay bale idea, that could also keep her preocupied, make a path of grain leading into the trailer so she can be persuaded in she probobly won't step up into it so u may need some help of somone to lift up one foot at a time. Oh make sure to twist the lead rope around a bar so if she pulls back she won't get out of the trailer only a couple steps back! good luck ndd if you need any help my e mail address is schmittytwh@yahoo.com i have don it many times with yearlings i live on a breading facility and we always get sick colts or a mare that dies during berth so then the baby is left up to us to get into a trailer. One thing i did for not only my comfort but for my baby was i had a friend drive and i sat in the trailer and soothed my baby, it works great if she lays down then you can lay on top of her and keep her laying dowm so she doensn't hurt herself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)