'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Sales in the West

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-14 2:39 AM
3 replies, 3440 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-12 2:02 PM (#27967)
Subject: Horse Sales in the West

Regular

I was wondering if any body has had any experience with some of the Larger horse auctions in Utah , Wyoming , Nevada , Idaho . I have went to the Hillman / Lynn auction in Idaho , and from the adds it says they have been doing the sale for over 20 years  . I have been looking for a broke gelding  , and some the prices at those auctions are scarey for a horse you don't even get to ride before the sale .

If any body has good or bad things to say about these kind of sales I would like to hear about it .

thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-12 7:28 PM (#27984 - in reply to #27967)
Subject: RE: Horse Sales in the West

Extreme Veteran

Go to the sale early and check out the pens,talk to the owners, ask to "kick the tires". If they don't let you ride it, you might not want it anyway. I think your best bet for a sale would be a ranch horse sale. These horses are as advertised, and you will pay for them, usually an event of some kind the nite before the sale, roping, cutting, ect. Or go to a monthly sale pick a horse you like and pay for a trainer. Then again there is always a private treaty picked up from an ad.

Good luck 

Edited by hconley 2005-07-12 7:31 PM
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-13 7:34 AM (#27991 - in reply to #27967)

Veteran

i like a sale from one ranch in the catalog it will tell you what they have done on the horse and how long also they tell who can ride him and what the horse will make some time ranch horses are broke to death for what they have been doing but that on chore is all they have seen also some ranch horses need to be worked every day not much down time or they will be very cold back any way my 2cents good luck oh what are you looking for?
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-14 2:39 AM (#28044 - in reply to #27967)

Elite Veteran

3 of my 4 horses came from auctions. 2 from the horse affair in Salem, Oregon and 1 from the Hermiston sale. 1 was a yearling. 1 was a ground broke 2 year old and the other was a green 4 yr old. The 4 yr old would buck when applied leg pressure. I think she was spurred to death because it only took me about 3 rides of gentle leg pressure without spurs to break her of this. Almost had her a year now and she is great, almost a kids horse. The other 2 are now 5 and 7 and I can put anyone on them, even kids. They are all sound and I paid between $450 and $750 for them. Best investments I have ever made. The 2 well broke one I could probably sell for almost 10 times what I paid for them. You need to know what to look for when you go to these auctions. Look at the bloodlines. Look at the horses in the stalls/pens before you buy. I look thru the catalog first and "star" the horses I like. Then I go and find them, look them over and mess with them a bit and talk to the owners, just as you would when you are buying privately. I would stay away from horses that the owners have brought only 1 or 2 to sell. Some of these bigger stables/ranches can bring anywhere from 5-15 horses. Those are the ones I look at. Good luck in your searches.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)