'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adding a trailer ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2022-12-16 10:53 AM
3 replies, 3342 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2022-12-01 4:51 PM (#185462)
Subject: Adding a trailer ramp

Extreme Veteran

Has anyone done this on the list?  My friend has a bison LQ she wants to add a lightweight ramp on.   
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2022-12-04 9:29 AM (#185463 - in reply to #185462)
Subject: RE: Adding a trailer ramp

Veteran

I have done a few and seen a few, it is pretty simple assuming you know what you are doing.  the things you have to consider is how much does your trailer weigh and how big is it.  This not often an issue for horse trailers but one or more car trailer I have towed the ramp that was added on added enought weight on the rear so that the tongue weight was reduced to the point that the trailer could be "Entertaining" to drive. I would assume that on anything larger than a 3 horse this would not be an issue.  Probably the most challenging aspect of adding a ramp is actually the spring system you need.  Because a "lightweight" ramp is not what you want a horse walking up, and even the lightest ramps you will want a bit of help if you are raising it by yourself.  I perfer the half car leaf spring below the frame, assuming you have the clearence on the rear frame.  

something like this 

https://www.diymetalfabrication.com/self-lifting-trailer-tailgate/

steel is going to be much cheaper, probably like half of what an aluminum ramp will cost, not only because the material is more expensive but the labor takes longer and is not as widely available.  the weight savings can be offset by the spring so in my opinion I would typically do steel, but then I live in California where rust is not as much of an issue
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2022-12-10 6:39 AM (#185464 - in reply to #185463)

Elite Veteran

I would not add one to an existing trailer personally, but one of our trailers does have one. It is built like a tank! The springs are pretty large and tight... you must know what you are doing to even adjust it so a smaller person can use it. The ramp itself is structural steel with slip proof padded matting on the inside. The doors above have windows and  a lip over the ramp.. and lock to secure your horses. (It is a custom warmblood two horse straight with a midtack and weekender for short trips)
Think thru loading a couple of 1,100-1,300# horses... it cannot be lightweight.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2022-12-16 10:53 AM (#185473 - in reply to #185462)

Elite Veteran

I'd get with a Bison dealer and get the one made to fit. They make nice ramps and about as reasonable price as anyone. Just my opinion. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)