'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stock slat sides vs drop windows

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2022-11-03 9:35 AM
3 replies, 1459 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

zKicker
Reg. Oct 2022
Posted 2022-10-27 9:52 AM (#185439)
Subject: Stock slat sides vs drop windows

New User

Considering stock slat sides with plexiglass on the head and hip side of a new custom built trailer vs drop down windows/bars on both sides. I live in the southeast, and even in the winter, find that I don't ever haul with the drop windows up in my current trailer. I also have never used the drop bars to access the horses, and I don't care to let them hang their heads out when parked. There will be a 1st horse escape door on this trailer.
So, I'm thinking the stock sides would possibly be a more convenient option instead of opening and closing windows for ventilation.
I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of the slat sides from those who have used them.
One thing I'm particularly curious about is how weather proof are the plexi inserts when the trailer is parked for storage or camping. I don't expect them to be as water tight as a window with a weather seal, but am I going to find water running down my walls in the rain?
I also understand my resale value will take a hit, especially on the east coast.
Any thoughts are appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BJMCFW
Reg. Jan 2021
Posted 2022-10-27 11:32 PM (#185440 - in reply to #185439)
Subject: RE: Stock slat sides vs drop windows

Regular

Just MY PERSONAL opinion! I have had both and prefer drop down window over the stock side any day because it is a complete PIA trying to find a place to store the plexiglass during the summer, a PIA if my wife has to mess with trying to remove the plexiglass IF I am not in town and in a hard rain it will keep some water out but not near as well as drop windows do.

If you travel and the temperature changes as it does in North Texas where it can be 80's mid day in the fall and by 6pm drop to the 40's when a cold front hits with drop windows just stop and raise a couple of them with stock sides you are screwed until you get home (unless you find a place to store the plexiglass in the trailer with getting broke!
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2022-11-01 9:13 AM (#185443 - in reply to #185439)

Veteran

I have had both and there are pro's and con's.  It would come down to two things: region I lived in and how hot/cold it got and how dry I want the inside of the trailer.

The slats do not hold out the water like the drop down windows.  In a gooseneck I stored them under the mattress.  I would not want to install and uninstall them frequently but if needed they would be accessable.  If I was in a hot region, the slats would allow for more air flow.

If I wanted the horse area to be dry and didn't have extreme heat or a lot of flucuations of temps, I would go with the drop down windows.  You can also go with drop downs on the hips to add more air flow. 
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2022-11-03 9:35 AM (#185444 - in reply to #185439)

Elite Veteran

On the headwall & rumpwall I believe you have more open square footage with drops than slats. As mentioned, drops offer flexibility as well. Not to mention closing up to keep clean when parked. In most of the country- every dollar spent on drops is well returned on resale. Just my opinion. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)