'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Divider making horse panic

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-12-17 6:40 AM
3 replies, 3223 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Tug Fork Bob
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2021-12-10 2:09 PM (#185112)
Subject: Divider making horse panic

We have 2002 4star 2 horse slant load gooseneck that  we use once or twice/week for short day ride trips..  Yesterday when loading the first horse in the front stall, the divider made a loud, screeching,grinding noise when closing that made the horse panic and slammed the divider against my wife while bolting from  the trailer.  This was the first time the divider did that and lubrication with WD-40 seemed to resolve the problem. We managed to catch and calm the horse and loaded without trouble.  (Obviously a dangerous situation with a panicked horse in front of the divider and a person behind it.!!!)

However, today we wanted to again use the trailer and when we checked before loading the same noise was back so we cancelled plans and per 4star recommendation I drilled  holes in the upper part of the hinges to allow more lubrication.  Did no good so now the trailer is not safe to use.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a horse trailer repair shop in the SE Iowa area that might be able to replace the hinges?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bob

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
QtrHrseLvr
Reg. Dec 2021
Posted 2021-12-15 9:19 AM (#185128 - in reply to #185112)
Subject: RE: Divider making horse panic

New User

Holtkamp's Trailer Repair in West Burlington, IA will work on horse trailers. We have taken our horse trailer there before for other issues (living quarters repairs/new tires/etc). I am sure they would be willing to look at your issue for you. Holtkamp's Trailer Repair 3000 W Mt Pleasant St, Burlington, IA 52601.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2021-12-15 10:27 AM (#185130 - in reply to #185112)

Veteran

WD-40 is really not a good lubricant ... an excellent Water Dispersant (that is what the WD stands for).

I assume that the dividers are pinned in place with removable pins. Drift the pins out with a hammer and punch, remove the dividers, clean everything up and lubricate the pins and hinges with a quality bearing grease or silicon grease and then reinstall the dividers.

I really doubt that your hinges need replacing ... just a good cleaning and grease job and you should be good for the next 20 years.

If you are really concerned and you are handy, you can drill and taps threads and install a grease nipple on each hinge ... but that may be overkill for your inside hinges. I have a Wilson stock trailer of the same vintage and it has grease nipples on every door / divider hinge on the trailer ... inside and out. Our Hart horse trailers have grease nipples on all outside hinges.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-12-17 6:40 AM (#185134 - in reply to #185112)

Elite Veteran

What 3CW said. To add to that, the hinge material is aluminum, and the pins steel. 20+ years there'll be a grunge build up in them. A good disassemble/cleaning and a bit of simple lube will usually do the trick for a long time to come.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)