'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Loading Two Horses in a Three Horse Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-11-30 1:58 PM
1 replies, 3218 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Wander
Reg. Nov 2021
Posted 2021-11-30 1:35 PM (#185105)
Subject: Loading Two Horses in a Three Horse Trailer

New User

Good morning,

I recently purchased a 2015 Sundowner, three horse slant load bumper pull aluminum trailer. There is a tack room up front and the wheel axels seem to be beneath the middle and rear stalls. This is a big upgrade for me as I previously had a 2009 Maverick two horse steel trailer. I pull the rig with a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 half ton. The tongue weight on the door sticker says 980 lbs.

I have been taking my smallish mustang (approx 900 lbs) and a friends 16.2 hand Arab out for rides and am trying to figure out the safest way to load two horses. I first left the front stall empy and put the two horses in the middle and rear. This seemed fine but I could not really feel the weight on the truck. On the way back, I put my horse in the front and my friends hors in the middle, I could really feel the weight then.

Can you please tell me, given my truck and trailer, what may be the best and safest way to load this trailer? Its alot more of a trailer than my tiny Maverick.

Thank you,

Wander (or at least trying)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-11-30 1:58 PM (#185106 - in reply to #185105)
Subject: RE: Loading Two Horses in a Three Horse Trailer

Elite Veteran

Congrats on the new ride. It is generally considered best to load in the First & Third stalls when hauling only 2. And the heavier one in the front. A single rider goes in the middle. Too little tongue weight can show its ugly head in an instant with catastrophic results. While I love a quality weight distribution hitch for a setup like you have, it cannot makeup for a light tongue. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)