'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fridges - Leveling and Running "On"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-11-10 7:26 AM
2 replies, 1407 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MRChandler
Reg. Sep 2020
Posted 2021-11-05 7:57 PM (#185056)
Subject: Fridges - Leveling and Running "On"

I've only just learned how important it is to your fridge that your trailer be level. It never seemed to matter with my old truck camper - as long as I was comfortable, I was happy, and the 30 year old fridge never gave me any trouble. But, now I've been told, so....
- HOW level do I have to be?
- Is front-to-back and side-to-side equally important?
- I usually use a bubble level on the floor, but have bought a couple of "T" levels to mount on the outside of the trailer. Where would you suggest would be best placement?
- I'm looking at the Andersen Leveling system. Opinions?

Also, the fridge repair guy that I talked to said he could see no reason not to run with the fridge turned on. He said if the flame went out, the propane valve would close, so there would be no risk of fire / explosion. Thoughts?

Thank-you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2021-11-05 9:20 PM (#185058 - in reply to #185056)
Subject: RE: Fridges - Leveling and Running "On"

Veteran

MRChandler - 2021-11-05 7:57 PM
Also, the fridge repair guy that I talked to said he could see no reason not to run with the fridge turned on. He said if the flame went out, the propane valve would close, so there would be no risk of fire / explosion. Thoughts?

If your do a google search on "propane rv fridge fires" you will soon see that there are a large number of RV fires each year that are associated with propane leaks on RVs. It is STRONGLY recommended to have the propane tanks on your RV shut off prior to going down the road.

Like most things, there are a lot of "opinions" on this subject ... do some reading and draw your own conclusions.

Edited by ThreeCW 2021-11-05 9:22 PM
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2021-11-10 7:26 AM (#185064 - in reply to #185056)
Subject: RE: Fridges - Leveling and Running "On"

Elite Veteran

Level- If you look at the coils on the rear, they are in a sloped pattern of refrigerent flow. As long as it isn't out of level enough to interfere with the flow, all's well. Had one instructor tell us that if you wouldn't roll out of bed, the fridge was probably OK.

Running down the road- Sure. Everyone does it with no issues. The fires referenced above were most likely the same ones that caused the massive RV fridge recall a few years ago. That was where welds on the refrigerent system broke, and the flamable refrigerent  been installed in those drained onto the flame. If you have any questions, I'd take the fridge model/seriel and Google RV fridge recall and see if yours is one of them. This was some time ago, and I suspect the correction kit has already been installed on those that needed it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)