'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Head Shaker Syndrome

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-19 7:20 AM
11 replies, 4889 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-05-16 1:21 AM (#25157)
Subject: Head Shaker Syndrome

Extreme Veteran

HELP!!!!!!!

Every spring/early summer my mare develops a head tossing/shaking that last until fall. It's also acompanied by excessive snoring and blowing. Anybody else have this?? What's the cure? She is basically unrideable during this time. Some have suggested allergys, is there an allergy medicine for horses? Our local vets don't seem to have any definite answers (except I'll mail you the bill). I read an article that said it could be a photosynthis type reaction to light. I've tried fly masking to block light, but no real help there either.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-16 11:46 AM (#25170 - in reply to #25157)
Subject: RE: Head Shaker Syndrome

Expert

Sunds like allergies because it's ears, eyes and nose.  Cortizone shots work well for allergies, but I'm not exactly sure about horses.  What about Benedryl...I know I've given it to livestock in the past but never one of my horses.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-16 11:03 PM (#25195 - in reply to #25157)

Extreme Veteran

have you ruled out insect infectation. if so try puting her in the barn and close out all sunlit if you think it is photic sneezing. cyproheptadine, a histamine and serotonergic blocking agent might help, it blocks out serotonin in the central nervous system
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-03 3:58 PM (#26052 - in reply to #25157)

Veteran

There is an article in this month's Perfect Horse magazine (John Lyons publication) about head shaking. It is actually caused by an irritation to a nerve in the horses nasal passage. It is usually irritated by allergies and / or sunlight. You can go to www.perfecthorse.com and sign up for a free 14 day trial membership. The article was in the May issue (I think) and it was about head tossing.
verushka
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-22 11:16 AM (#26927 - in reply to #25157)

Regular

I had a horse with the same problem.  I took her to UC DAVIS and had her checked by a visiting vet from England, an expert on head shaker syndrome.  I was told it was caused by sunlight.  I brought all the weeds from her pasture to be tested but they were conviced it did not have anything to do with the weeds and wouldn't have a look.  The funny thing is once I got here there she stopped shaking her head.  When I returned her to the boarding facility, we changed pastures and gave her one with no weeds, she never shook her head again.  I'd try moving her to a different location.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-22 5:11 PM (#26945 - in reply to #25157)

Elite Veteran

Stupid question, but here goes. Does she do it all the time, or just when you have a bit in her mouth?
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-06-25 2:02 AM (#27076 - in reply to #26945)

Extreme Veteran

UPDATE on HEAD  SHAKING:

Had the vet out a couple of weeks ago. No real answers. Suspect it's allergies of some sort. Prescribed a antihistamine, which would have cost BIG dollar (had to come from walgreens or some other pharmacy) so that option went the same way as the vet bill.(Down the drain)

We were only a few days away from a week long trail ride at Golden Hills Trail Ride, so we were desperate since she was basically unridable. A friend had a horse with very similar symptoms. She had read the same article as we had from Exous mag (a year or so back) Some of the people in the article had limited success using a nylon (panty hose) over the muzzle. She also was having favorable results,so we gave it a try also (desperate remember)

1st we tried with a hackamore which we had never used on her. It worked pretty good, then we modified the nylon rigging(using garter straps and safety pins, and even a little hay string) and went back to her original bit and bridle,and fitting nylon over the muzzle after she had bit in mouth. It worked very well,(not perfect) we rode all week and had a great time which would not have happen the way she was.

To answer efaubert, she would do it with or without the bit. You would see her out in pasture ring her head & neck. some times she would rub her nose violently on the barn or post. However it did seem she would embellish the situation when it came time to put bit in or out.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-25 9:42 AM (#27085 - in reply to #25157)

Elite Veteran

The reason I asked is that ishe might need her teeth floated. Head shaking and resistance to the bit can often be attributed to poor dental condition.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-06-26 8:23 AM (#27116 - in reply to #25157)

Glad you were able to go to the ride.  As to antihistamines for horses,  yes, you can give human benadryl to horses.  Not just my opinion, vet said to give along with dexomethanize (sorry about poor spelling) to my horse with bad seasonal allergies.  The dose for the benadryl is by weight.  I've had good results with it. 
stardocskip
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-01 1:40 PM (#27493 - in reply to #25157)

New User

HI.. This syndrome is also called "photic head shaking"  It is actually caused by the sun and irritates the optic nerve.. drives the poor animals crazy!! Your choice in the summer months is to keep them indoors during the day, or ask your vet about "cyperheptadine".  It will run you about $300 every year, but just a tiny bit in a handful of grain everyday cures the problem. Cyperheptadine, by the way, is actually a human anti psychotic.  Interesting, Isn't it??
gallopingal
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-17 9:01 AM (#28149 - in reply to #25157)

Rockyrider, sorry to hear about your headshaking problems but glad to hear about your semi-solution!  A friend of mine recently had to put her "dream horse",  APHA Luvtopartee  (Bob) put down because of this.  She has dedicated a web site to him... After reading her explanation on the first web page, then click on Bob's page and she has 2 videos of the photic head shaking.  Very interesting and SAD ...    http://www.luvtopartee.com

Edited by gallopingal 2005-07-17 9:03 AM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-19 7:20 AM (#28226 - in reply to #25157)

Expert

Horses can have allergies and can be tested for them.  I have a freind whose horse is allergic to flies, breaks out in hives.  Once the type of allergy was detected by the screening, the horse was put on a course of desensitizing shots.  It actually worked but it was not exactly cheap.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)