'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping using corrals or line tie?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-08 1:10 PM
14 replies, 6883 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 2:11 PM (#25023)
Subject: Camping using corrals or line tie?

Would like to get some pros/cons of both. We have 2 that have been line tied overnight, but our 7 yr old gelding has not. We have seen the temporary corrals or post to run electric wire behind trailers overnight but would like some input on the corrals and/or electric wire. Our trailer is 30 ft. so we do have good lenght for a corral. Any suggestions on getting the 7 yr old use to line tie? We have his mother and usually if he is beside her he does better with everything, shoeing, etc.
Thanks in advance for any reply's and hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day weekend!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kellye
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-14 3:27 PM (#25117 - in reply to #25023)
Subject: RE: Camping using corrals or line tie?

If you want to get your boy used to the tie lines, practice at home! Set up your "campsite" with the other horses around the trailer and tie them just like you would if your were away from home. Let your gelding stand next to his mom and other buddy for a short period to start with, leave them alone, but keep him in your site in case of trouble. Do this several times, making his time that he's tied up longer and longer each time. Then, when you actually take him somewhere, he'll be used to it. And the other horses will help to teach him what it's all about. I've done the camping thing with a picket line, portable corral and electric corral. I feel most comfortable with the portable corral, because there is "less" chance for escape, but they can be very cumbersome to travel with. I used borrowed panels, so I did not have to carry them with me...they were there when I got there. My horse does great on a picket line, but I don't sleep well when he's tied. I guess I'm always worrying about what kind of trouble he can get into when he's just tied up. The electric corrals are great if your horse respects them...again, this is a method to be tried at home first!! I've seen a horse get spooked in a thunderstorm and break out of his electric corral, so they are only as secure as the horse is respectful of them. As with any method, I'd recommend getting good at it at home first. Then when you go somewhere new, your horse will be used to his "campsite" already because he's done it before.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-15 6:09 AM (#25131 - in reply to #25023)

Regular

We use the overhead high line ties (line stretched between 2 trees, with protection for the trees). This has worked well for our horses. Our friends have a portable corral. They are nice, but make sure the horses you put in there get along WELL.....there is no room for escape! With high lines, each horse has their own "space."

Take Care,

Brenda

Edited by heritage lane farm 2005-05-15 6:12 AM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-15 5:31 PM (#25143 - in reply to #25023)

Elite Veteran

I prefer to picket. Even if your horses do well in a temporary corral, there are other horses that may get loose for whatever the reason and run into your corral due to the excitement of being loose. Just my opinion..........Trying them out on a picket at home is a good idea.........Happy camping.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-15 10:32 PM (#25152 - in reply to #25023)

Veteran

I love my portable corral!! I wouldn't camp with out it. My horse loves to be able to relax in a safe area after a hard day riding! I feel much better & I believe that he does too.
Cricket
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-17 7:11 AM (#25205 - in reply to #25023)

I use corral panels. I have hangers on the side of my trailer to haul them with. I like them above anything else. We were camping once and a severe thunder storm came up and lightning stuck about 100yds away from our camp. Just about every horse that was tied broke away. Mine was in the 12x12 corral panels and tried to flee but the panels stopped her. I can either carry 1 12x12 or a 2 stall type with 2 14ft and 3 12 ft panels which gives them a 7X12 stall. Just gives me a secure feeling that I don't have to worry about a tied horse or one running through a portable type fence.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-18 8:49 PM (#25291 - in reply to #25023)

Expert

I vote for the line tie.  Corrals and fence lines are okay if you're at the trailer or at a base camp.  But if you're serious about an overnight ride, the high tie is the easiest to pack into a saddle bag.  So I high tie all the time.  With enough line between the horses, I leave just enough lead line to let the horses lie down.  The high line acts like a spring to keep the lead tensioned and off the ground so the horses don't get tangled.

Check out packerpete's thread about the Prussic Loop.

Turbo2
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-20 9:25 AM (#25347 - in reply to #25023)

New User

In my opinion, high line tying is the only way to go.  We've tried the pens, tying to the trailer or hitching post, and even thought about using hobbles, but when we started high lining we and the horses were much more content.  They have the freedom to look all ways, lay down, and stretch.  To our amazement, our horses didn't even spill their buckets of water.  Our friends tried their horses high lined with us for the first time last summer and they took to it right away.  If they pull back they don't have anything solid to pull back on as the rope moves and stretches, instead of staying rigid which is where most startled horses get into trouble.  Give your gelding the benefit of the doubt, he'll probably surprise you.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-23 10:07 PM (#25550 - in reply to #25023)

Extreme Veteran

I used corral panels for the first time this past week and really appreciated them. I've always high lined in the past, but I liked the way my horse laid flat out, rolled and moved around in the corral...just more room I guess. I also liked not having a halter on him for 6 days straight. I attached the corral to my trailer during the day for additional room, but enclosed it away from the trailer at night (after the first sleepless night). I never knew how much wriggling one horse could do!!! That said, if I'm ever short on space in the trailer I'll happily go back to high lining. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and it sure is cheaper!
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-06-17 11:03 AM (#26731 - in reply to #25023)

Veteran

I am finally getting around to posting on this other forum, but anyway...I use both electric portable corrals and highlines.

I like the corrals to allow the animals to graze and shake and rool the trail dust off after a long days ride...they kick back and relax in there. 

The highline I use when I need safe and secure containment. If I am highlining overnight or keeping animals in camp while others ride away ( a real test of your containment!), I keep the length of lead rope to highline fairly short-- like 18" and remember you will need a swivel in your lead rope to prevent tangles.

More details of how to make a good highline can be found on the webpage I created for the Redwood Unit of the Backcountry Horsemen:

http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-29 4:49 AM (#27340 - in reply to #25023)

Veteran

I have only camped using hitch rails or a high line.  I do have this to say about corral panels.  I Have seen them used at the state park near where I live and would like to say a few things about them.  Be careful where you put them. I think they need to be put at the hitch rail for the consideration of the campers following you. If you put them on the best patch of grass at the camp site and it rains, the poor people camping on that spot after you will have a muddy mess at their front door.

Also, don't use electric fence to make a corral. At most camping areas it is against the rules to have electric fence.  Most places have little kids running around.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 9:46 AM (#27405 - in reply to #25023)

Veteran

If it's allowed at the place we're camping, we use a portable electric corral. It's nice because it's adjustable so I've done a single small area on up to a two corral setup for our two horses and our friends' two horses.

All of our horses are very used to the concept, but they still test the wire once or twice. The little zareba battery powered unit (4 D cells) gives a little snap - enough to reinforce the concept. I wouldn't use it if the horses weren't accustomed to the idea.

You can buy the kits but it'd be cheaper to buy a dozen or more step-in posts, length of tape, two spring handles, and a zapper from your local TSC/Farm & Fleet/Fleet Farm/whatever. Probably looking at up to $150 invested.

We have also used it at shows that allow it.

Our horses are able to relax, move around, roll, and lie down. Next best thing to being home.

For places that don't allow, we hi-tie them. They don't like it as much, but it works fine.

YMMV,
LAXPatric
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 12:31 PM (#27421 - in reply to #25023)

Expert

I use electric fence when ever allowed.  If there are kids running around, I would rather they get zapped by the fence (which they have no business touching to begin with) than stepped on by one of the horses.  A shock is over in a second, a broken foot.......  or worse if they get kicked.   I have kids and being kids they had to touch the fence for themselves.  Now they know.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-30 2:09 PM (#27431 - in reply to #25023)

Extreme Veteran

I like em all....would rather just hobble them and let em go. We never go to places that have rules...to many people! Use the hobbles if you got a horse that paws on the highline or any where they are tied. I use the elec. fence most of the time. Some places have no trees!(don't forget the tree savers) Move the corral around before they pound it to dirt!(rotational grazing). Panels I think would be the safest but I am already carring more horse stuff than the law allows....(wifes idea...)You could put them in a padded stall maybe....they'd probably eat the padding and collic!:)
Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-08 1:10 PM (#27791 - in reply to #25023)

Regular

I have a 21-year old TN Walking horse.  I got her about 2 years ago.  I have high-lined her at some trail rides.  The only thing that I don't like about that is not-knowing what might happen during the night & then have to go find a horse that has broken free or gotten caught in the highline.  Back in April, there was a large organized ride down at Ward, SC that had 465 horses.  I noticed that at least 5+ horses broke loose during the weekend & had to be caught.  I don't think any of them were hurt or anything.  While at this ride I saw some smaller portable corral panels.  They are 4'3" high & 6' long.  I have a steel Bee 2 horse slant - stock combo trailer that weighs 2,500 lbs.  Since I only haul one horse, I have the panels standing on their end pointing to the ceiling of the trailer with the 6' section going up toward the ceiling.  I have them tied in with a motorcycle tie strap.  I like them because the fit inside my trailer.  I would be afraid to have panels on the outside of my trailer.  Not only because it would damage the trailer, I would not want to have the chance of them coming off of the trailer while hauling.  The panels are 1' square tubing so they are strong.  Even though they are steel, they do not weight much & anyone can set them up in just a few minutes.  The guy has other sizes & could probably make what ever size you needed.  Mine have 4 crossbars.  I wish that I had them remove one of the bars & evenly space three crossbars so that a horse would have less of a chance of slipping a leg between the bars.  Here is the website that has the panels like I bought.  He is located in Saluda, SC.  The panels that I have are like the ones in the 4th & 5th picture on his main web page.  If you are interested, call the owner Russell Durst or his son Clint Durst.  They will be happy to talk with you about their panels.  They can paint them in whatever color you want.  Also, they can have them powder coated to help prevent them rusting.  If you have room to carry them, I would suggest some small corral panels.  I can sleep better at night while camping knowing that my horse can lay down & roll if she wants to without having her head tied up on the highline.  She will sleep better & be better rested for the ride the next day.  Also I feel better about her not getting loose during the night while I have her in these panels.

http://www.carolinacorral.com/corrals.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)