'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Breeding for Color!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-19 8:51 PM
8 replies, 5363 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Grizzly2k1
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-18 10:13 PM (#24002)
Subject: Breeding for Color!

I have 2 Standardbred Mares I just recently bred. One is a Dark Bay and the other is almost black with only the brown nose. I bred them to a Palimino Stallion that does for the most part put color into the foals, I am hoping for either Buckskins or Paliminos. High hopes hahahaha! But what are the actual chances of getting either one?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-19 12:56 PM (#24032 - in reply to #24002)
Subject: RE: Breeding for Color!

Elite Veteran

I don't think to good with a standardbred.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 3:22 PM (#24038 - in reply to #24002)

Expert

That's going to depend on what each parents' genotype is and a roll of the dice. Your chances are just that, chances. Until you have had your mares tested to see what they carry, it's just a BLIND guess. Once you have them tested, then it's a calcualted guess but none the less a guess either way. You can find some genetics calculators on the web and start guessing about what your mares might be...it will atleast be fun for you.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 3:25 PM (#24039 - in reply to #24032)

Extreme Veteran

There is a chance you could get a Palomino or buckskin but the odds are greater that you will get another bay or dark horse. 

If you wanted a buckskin or palomino, you should've bred to a cremello.  This way a Cr gene, the gene that dilutes the bay or chestnut coat to buckskin or palomino, would be passed onto the foal, guaranteed. 

Next time you breed, if your interested in a foundation bred QH cremello, check out my boy:

http://www.ranchocremello.com/

Good luck.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 8:28 PM (#24043 - in reply to #24002)

Expert

you have a pretty good chance to get a buckskin but much less of a chance to get a palomino. A buckskin is a bay but with a cremello gene ( thus you have black points but with lighter body color) if you breed a palomino to a chestnut, then your odds are pretty good of a palomno foal.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 12:20 AM (#24092 - in reply to #24002)

Expert

I'm no genetic expert,but have a friend @www.foxvangenfarms who is.I do have 2 funny stories about breeding for color.We had a pretty b/w tobiano filly out of a black mare/spotted (sabino) stud.We bred her back for a repeat.We got a "strawberry"(honey)sabino.We bred the same black mare to a palomino stallion.(She'd had a palomino before.)We got a grulla filly! We forgot that the stallions mother was a dun(I realize now she was a grulla also,didn't know much about color at the time,so didn't know what I was seeing.)He is actually a dunalino.He gave the dun gene on the black gene of our mare:=a grulla.You'll know what you've got when you see it,(quote from old horseman.)
foxmoorqhs
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-10 3:12 PM (#24947 - in reply to #24002)

OH I *love* color genetics stuff :-)  There is an excellent website out there that has color charts on it for looking up what the offspring might be.  The link is

http://www.doubledilute.com

Can you tell me if the bay mare is homozygous or heterozygous for the black gene?  If she has a red colored parent, then she is heterozygous.  If both parents are black gened, then there is a chance that she is homozygous.  If she is homozygous, she can NOT produce a red colored foal, which would eliminate sorrel, chestnut and palomino. 

Same with your brown mare (black with the brown muzzle is genetically the black gene, but the color, atleast in the QH world, is referred to as brown). 

The palomino stud carries only the red gene plus a cream gene. 

To help you better understand what you can get when crossing these mares on this stud, it helps to understand the genetics behind some of the colors. 

A palomino is a red horse with a cream gene.

A buckskin is a bay horse with a cream gene.

A smokey black is a black horse with a cream gene (these often look like any other black horse, yet they actually carry the cream gene). 

So, if a mare is heterozygous (one black and one red gene), then bred to a palomino, you can get black, bay, brown, sorrel, chestnut, palomino, buckskin or smoky black.

If the mare is homozygous for the black gene, then you can get black, bay, brown, buckskin or smoky black.

Interestingly, you have to get the bay agouti passed along with the black gene and the cream gene in order to get buckskin.  But what's soooo interesting about that is that a red horse (or a palomino) can actually be bay but you can't actually "see" the agouti at work on the coat because there was no black to wash out and leave just at the points.  Swoon N Red is a sorrel QH stud that carries the bay agouti and can produce bay offspring when bred to a black mare.

Kelly

Grizzly2k1
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 10:44 PM (#25004 - in reply to #24002)

I don't know what gene she has. Standardbred horses that are tattoded are bay or dark bay. All I know is that she was bred to a black stud before and had a black colt.
horsecrazy2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-19 8:51 PM (#28289 - in reply to #24002)

You'll probably end up with a bay foal. I don't think being a standardbred would effect the color, it's all in the genes.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)