'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cordless drill for jack AGAIN

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-21 10:18 AM
27 replies, 11549 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 6:56 AM (#24098 - in reply to #24096)
Subject: RE: cordless drill for jack AGAIN

Expert

Originally written by pamwilson on 2005-04-21 6:14 AM

So I'm intrigued by the power winch, but being a mechanically challanged person, I'm haven't a clue where to go to find someone to put this thing together for me, any suggestions?

I did start slowing down a bit at 40, but I *think* I'm a bit wiser about how I spend my time and energy, hence starting this thread about how to easy my hitching experience, I often have to hitch/unhitch 2 times in a weekend when going to a show, it just wears me out. My friend thinks my hitch fitting need greasing or something, b/c she says her Sundowner is really easy, again my mechanically challenged brain says how do I grease fittings? And where are they? I guess something this is quite obvious to many of you folks.

Look around the top of the jack post area for what are commonly called "grease nipples", when you find them the reason for that name will be obvious. Buy a small grease gun at Malwart (maybe $10), follow the directions that come with it, or try to find a tame mechanic/technician to show you how to use it. Always wipe the grease fittings (nipples) clean before applying the grease.
BTW, another important use for this little tool is your wheel bearings. On most modern trailers there is a grease fitting on the end of each axle spindle that needs greasing at least once a season, this is the easy and probably best way to re-pack the bearings.

\R
{shade tree mechanic at large}
PS They're also known as "zerk fittings".
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pamwilson
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-21 7:09 AM (#24099 - in reply to #23993)

Sorry to be such a stupid blonde, but what is the "jack post area", I'm just totally lost with the terminology of all this stuff.  I think I'll probably just have to take it to the trailer guy place.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 10:18 AM (#24107 - in reply to #24099)

Expert

Originally written by pamwilson on 2005-04-21 7:09 AM

Sorry to be such a stupid blonde, but what is the "jack post area", I'm just totally lost with the terminology of all this stuff. I think I'll probably just have to take it to the trailer guy place.

Sorry, that might have been a poor choice of a words.
I mean the 4 or 5 inch square steel post(tube) that actually forms the jack, in this case specifically the top of it where the gears and stuff are housed.

The hand crank is connected to a rod/shaft that leads across the trailer to the center, where that shaft enters the top of the jack. There is a "mechanism" at the top of the jack that is likely to need grease. Somwhere near the top of the jack there should be a grease fitting (or two or more).
On mine there is one grease fitting on the (2 speed) gear box, it is toward the left side of the trailer, i.e. on the face that is towards the driver's side door when it is coupled to the truck. There are another two grease fittings on the front face of the jack, near the top.
On SOME trailers there is a jack at each front corner, in which case there will be another rod connecting the two jacks so that you can crank both of them at the same time. At 4,300 lbs you almost certainly have only one jack, at the center line of the trailer.

A visit to your dealer (their mechanic) might be a good idea; some chat, interest in how things work, diy stuff, "show me", etc. (-:
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)