'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Jack Thrust Bearing Issues?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2021-08-15 8:32 AM
2 replies, 1341 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

randy52644
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2021-08-14 2:16 PM (#181425)
Subject: Trailer Jack Thrust Bearing Issues?

I have a square 3.5" jack on my trailer with a Bulldog motor. It does not have a 2 speed box but is direct drive.

Recently the electric motor moans and groans raising and lower the trailer. Disconnected the electric motor and it is very hard to crank manually too. Once the trailer is on the truck, everything spins freely, up and down full stroke.

Pulled the lower tube with screw and thought I would find a seized thrust bearing, I did not. It's got lots of grease and turns freely by hand.

However under the load of a few thousand pounds, could this bearing being dragging that severely?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2021-08-15 6:44 AM (#181638 - in reply to #181425)
Subject: RE: Trailer Jack Thrust Bearing Issues?

Elite Veteran

Don't know that I can help with the thrust bearing question, but do have 2 items-
A) I seem to recall the service for a lot of those jacks was to remove the top plate and pour a cup of grease in. Literally, that was the manufacturer's recomendation.
B) If the motor's elec wires are still hooked to the battery it will be hard to turn, as you are then acting as a generator. I tell folks to remove a wire if they have to hand crank- makes it much easier. You may do this to better get a feel of the drag.

randy52644
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2021-08-15 8:32 AM (#181662 - in reply to #181638)
Subject: RE: Trailer Jack Thrust Bearing Issues?

Yes I finally disconnected the electric motor from the jack after spending hours thinking it was an electrical issue. The motor was drawing almost 50 amps when trying to raise the trailer.

But the hand crank is still VERY hard to crank up and somewhat hard to crank the trailer down. That's why I'm suspicious of the thrust bearing.

But the thrust bearing is full of grease. The ball bearings are visible and completely packed with grease. The bearing turns very freely by hand without any dragging or tight spots. I can't believe that when carrying the compression load of the trailer that this bearing is dragging so severely to cause this much drag. The Acme rod is fully greased and turns freely by hand and is not showing any signs of wear.

I was just hoping someone could confirm these bearings fail under compression load but otherwise appear normal when not under load.
Can't find a replacement locally so it will be several days until one arrives.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)